Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Terrain Flattening Program for FS2004?

lost between how it is and how it ought to be

Check your Personal Messages.
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

wel my FS2004 has crashed big time now - telling me I dont have enough memory or disc space>>> (16Gb memory 2.5 Tb HDD)!!!!

so deleted the whole damn thing - try a fresh install later

lost between how it is and how it ought to be

Sorry to hear that.

A fresh reinstall might have been avoided.

When you do reinstall, do not, do not, do not put anything to do with FS in the Program Files folder structure.

Some of your troubles may be related to the extra protection Windows places on the Program Files folder. These troubles can be avoided by simply not installing anything FS related in that/those folders.

Create a new folder in your drive root, C:\FS9 if you only have one drive, and install FS stuff there.

peace,
    the Bean

[edit]
    forgot to add, your memory issue has nothing to do with your physical RAM.

This error can be caused by bad scenery files.
    [/edit]
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

WHOO HOOO that did the trick Bean many thanks! I was just off to the puter shop to buy loads of extra RAM and a new HDD! However I think I'll throw another drive in there JUST for FS as I will be creating a lot of extra files ONCE I get teething problems sorted.

thanks again!
    Last edited by Tendet; 07-23-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Me again!

its now 2020 and I find myself imprisoned in my house so its time to get back to my scenery! I backed up all the old programs i used in 2014 but sadly NOT ALL MY NEW AIRPORTS! (( However even my Win 7 is now out of date but as everyone knows all the NEW WINDOWS progs ARE PANTS!!

I spent ages travelling the country visiting the sites of old WW2 airfields and at Grafton Underwood, I even met 2 of the original pilots who flew B17s from this base. They were driven to the site by an English chap in an Willys Jeep dressed in authentic uniform, the veterans also had on their caps and medals, it was an anniversary of some event that happened there.

I got a lot of info from them and went into great detail recreating nissan huts and even the camp cinema in Sketch Up. I sent images of the finished base to the 2 guys in the US, they were very impressed and thanked me. I got permision from the land owners to photograph old derelict buildings for measurements etc.

Also recreated RAF Stoney Cross, Beaulieu, St.Eval and many others. Sadly my PC got a virus and I lost most of those files. I spent a month on ONE building alone constucting a genuine HAS to build RAF Upper Heyford - that went too

I still use FS2004 as no one seems to bother with any other Flight Sim developer progs. Im hoping FS 2020 WILL INCLUDE a developer! I mean in between working 12 hour shifts to help out with this awful virus I am sitting at home bored! I can no longer travel the country surveying sites so can only use my old knowledge from my RAF days to start recreating the old airfields AGAIN.

If anyone knows of any updated files please PM of add a reply - Thank You

OH one last thing does anyone know WHY ADE does not save my creeated airports in the FS2004 'global directory' to search please?

STAY HEALTHY SIM FLIERS

we WILL win this new 'war' in 2020.

and THANK YOU to the NHS as well - a new livery will be created FOR YOU!! You deserve an A380!
    Last edited by Tendet; 04-05-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    Vintage Avgas Head - "Dancing The Skies"......

Not sure what you mean about ADE - are you talking about project files or compiled files. In both cases ADE puts the files where you tell it to in your settings

7. Default

And a computer tip. Buy yourself an external hard drive of the same size or larger of the one in your computer and use a cloning software to clone your computer to the external USB hard drive. Now buy yourself a $35 fireproof safe rated for electronics, place the external USB hard drive in a ziplock bag and keep the hard drive in there.

I do exactly this about once a month or as needed when I had more data to the computer. If a problem comes about with your computer, be it a virus or something else, you have a backup clone to clone back to and everything will almost be like it was before.

Never depend on a RAID array for backups. You want an air gaped backup hard drive and stored in a safe place. If you had a RAID 1 array and you took on a lightning strike, say goodbye to everything in the computer.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    And a computer tip. Buy yourself an external hard drive of the same size or larger of the one in your computer and use a cloning software to clone your computer to the external USB hard drive. Now buy yourself a $35 fireproof safe rated for electronics, place the external USB hard drive in a ziplock bag and keep the hard drive in there.

I do exactly this about once a month or as needed when I had more data to the computer. If a problem comes about with your computer, be it a virus or something else, you have a backup clone to clone back to and everything will almost be like it was before.

Never depend on a RAID array for backups. You want an air gaped backup hard drive and stored in a safe place. If you had a RAID 1 array and you took on a lightning strike, say goodbye to everything in the computer.
    THANK YOU very much yes I lost about a years worth of airports, repaints etc that were going on here as Freeware ((

Quote Originally Posted by scruffyduck View Post
    Not sure what you mean about ADE - are you talking about project files or compiled files. In both cases ADE puts the files where you tell it to in your settings
    Hi Jon

after some investigation it was a simple mistake. I was labelling my builds as UK in the country box NOT as UNITED KINGDOM as shows up in the Global diectory! DUUUH

I sat carefully looking down the list and noticed a 'UK' listing - I clicked on this as found the TEST aerodrome I try designs on and my new Stoney Cross build I have started again!

IF I can get something to do 3D modelling this will be hyper detailed as I have maps, photos and drone footage to use now, as I know almost every blade of grass and dispersal from memory. This will be uploaded for all the good folks on here as a Freeware!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffyduck View Post
    Quick question please Jon as you are the wizard that created SBuilder.
    I have been closely comparing google earth alongside FS 'top down views' on my double monitors, areas that I am rebuilding aerodromes in. MS are far from accurate with their repetetive 'generic' land sqaures. One major example is the New Forest has been moved WEST by approximately 20 miles putting RAF Stoney Cross in a housing estate!

I have sadly fogotten how to do a land class poly, is there a tutorial for this anywhere please? I would rather have my airports on grassland than in a residential area!

Thanks
    Last edited by Tendet; 04-08-2020 at 04:29 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast