Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrain Flattening Program for FS2004?

Default Terrain Flattening Program for FS2004?

Hi peeps

after a lay off of over 8 years I am getting back into scenery/ airport designs. However I cannot remember the program I used to have to flatten areas and remove trees?

I have tried FSSC (as recommended on another site) and it wont run or has missing files. I currently have a few new airports with trees in the runway and floating on slopes

Probably been covered before so if someone can post a link I would appreciate it!

I am currently 'replacing' RAF Greenham Common (EGVI) back as it used to be when I flew in and out of there in VC10's! The last time I went back for a visit someone had stolen the runway and nicked the whole airfield It is now a horrible old field??

I am just ending up with an awful runway that is on different levels with trees on it.

The joys of getting old is forgetting just how easily I used to build airports I have tried Sbuilder but seem to be getting nowhere.

Just downloaded ADE - that seems to look like it might sort my terrain.

Advice/ links appreciated for an old man please!
    Last edited by Tendet; 07-15-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Found the program I used to used which worked perfectly BEFORE - AFX. Now NOTHING.
    Spent hours replicating taxiways, dispersals, aprons and the GAMA facility and it doesnt even show up on FS!
    Created an exclude area - no effect

HELP NEEDED PLEASE or the whole lot will go out of the window!!!

lost between how it is and how it ought to be

Are you placing your files in an active scenery folder?

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

yes and strangely now the runway has STARTED to exclude trees but NOT taxiways. The area also seems to have flattened out ?
    I cannot find any 'CREATE EXCLUSION ZONES' button in either AFCAD or Sbuilder . However AFX has one but this just doesnt work

all very strange. I used to have a lovely program with a big helpful 'FLATTEN AREA' button that worked superbly - sadly doesnt seem to be around anymore

I know of a couple other programs that will create flattens, I would stick with ADE if I were you.

Runways and taxiways do not exclude autogen.

Taxiways and aprons (not runways) will flatten the terrain under them to the airport elevation. You can still get lumps and dips between them.

The Exclusion Rectangle button in ADE has a yellow square on it.

peace,
    the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

aha many thanks Bean - happy vapour trails!

ADE for FS9 also provides a flatten function (button with the green poly shape on it)

AHA SUPERB just whats needed thanks

OMG now I have spent the evening recreating Greenham Common right down to small taxiways and aprons - I STILL have flippin TREES growing all over my aprons???

I have now created excluse areas in AFX, ADE, Sbuilder, and AFCAD.........

and STILL vegetation stopping my AI planes taxiing FUMING......

WHAT is happening please?

Excludes can be fussy, especially if you have some that overlap each other.

Forget Afcad, ancient software, no longer supported, not a complete product, cannot do everything you want.

Ditto AFX, never used it, based on (stole from) Afcad, not worth the money with superior freeware available.

ADE is a great tool and does this stuff better in FSX. Not ADE's fault, the sims are built differently.

If you want to get rid of autogen, SBuilder is the best tool. With SBuilder you can create a proper airport background that will a) give you the grass texture and b) exclude the autogen.

The only downside to SBuilder is it takes a bit to figure out how to use it.

Do you have FSUIPC in FS9? You must have so FS will communicate with the other tools.

Start FS9 and go to your airport. Top Down View in Slew Mode, Windowed mode, not quite full screen.

Open SBuilder and start a new project. Name it something clever, like the airport name or ICAO code.

Make sure you set the 'Main BGL Folder' on the Folders tab to somewhere you can remember. This is where the compiled BGL files will be sent.

In SBuilder, go to View>Show aircraft. Zoom in all the way until Zoom= 65536.

Click on the poly tool.

Arrange your screen so it looks like...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBuilder.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	410.3 KB 
ID:	169978

Now slew around to where you want corners (vertex) for your background. When you get to a corner click on the crosshairs in the SBuilder window.

After the last point, right click to close the poly.

Close FS9.

SBuilder will tell you there is a communications error, click OK.

In SBuilder click the pointer tool, then right click on the edge of your poly. If the context menu says your project name at the top you missed the poly.

Once you get the poly context menu, select Properties.

On the General tab, click on VTP2.

On the VTP2 tab set the VTP Layer to 20 and click on the Assembled Radio button.

Click in the box to the left of the Assembled Radio Button and another box will open. Pick 1203 Grass Park, then OK, OK. Later you can experiment with the others.

Now click on Select>Select All, then click on the BGL button.

In the next Window VTP Polygons should be checked. Also check 'Copy files to BGL folders'.

If you wish, you can check 'Start FS9' and SBuilder will automatically start FS9 after compile.

Now click on the 'Compile' button and if all went well you will have a new airport background, sans trees and buildings.

peace,
    the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast