Thread: Getting Started

Question Getting Started

Hey everyone

I just bought X-Plane yesterday on a whim and have just sat down to try it out when I came across a few issues. Having to manually calibrate my joystick was one of them. There are many functions that my joystick did not have. For example, Toe Brakes. In FSX the trigger at the front worked as brakes but X-Plane won't accept them. Also on my joystick there was one button that cycled through al the views in FSX but does not work and only lets me change to one view. Is there a way to assign certain functions to the keyboard and to the joystick? or does it have to be one or the other? To my understanding it has to be one or the other.

I am now looking for new equipment entirely. I am into the bigger jets like the 747. The smallest would be a CRJ200. I would like two know your guys views and suggestions on what the best equipment is out there for X-Plane that will do what I want.

I was also wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of tutorials about the ATC, Flight Plan and cockpit prep as well as approach and landing, preferably ILS. If there are any other good tutorials out there I would also like to check them out.

There are not many of the types of aircraft that I like included in X-Plane so I was wondering if you guys would also point me in the direction of some good payware and/or freeware aircraft.

Not quite sure why your brake assignment didn't work. There are multiple brake functions - toggle on/off with each button press, and hold while the button is depressed. What joystick do you have? Some sticks like the X-52 have a two stage trigger, which reports as two different buttons, depending on how hard you pull.

There's no function to cycle through all the views. Guess no one ever considered it important.

You can assign both keys and joystick buttons. Of keys, see the Keys tab of the joystick setup menu.

There's a whole tutorials section over at X-Plane.org that should cover a lot of what you're looking of. The ATC in X-Plane 10 is rather a work in progress - don't expect too much from it.

- Andy

Thanks for all the tips. I am using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.