Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adding Night Textures

1. Default Adding Night Textures

Any ways of adding them? Especially using GIMP ! I can't figure it out!

lost between how it is and how it ought to be

Depends on what you are trying to add them to.

Given the lack of info you have provided, I would answer you with 'maybe'.

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

3. Default

Mostly LED's to windows,illuminate walls etc. (sorry for the lack of info )

Again, not nearly enough info.

What sim?

Scenery objects?

Did you make them?

Do the models have nigh texture flags set?

Again, 'maybe'.

peace,
    the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    Again, not nearly enough info.

What sim?

FSX

Scenery objects?

A TERMINAL :P

Did you make them?

HELL YEAH!

Do the models have nigh texture flags set?

Come,Again??

Again, 'maybe'.

peace,
    the Bean
    : )

No reason to cuss, you know what you want to do, we do not.

Never argue with idiots.

A gentleman answered one of my threads on the topic and walked me through it. I wrote down the steps. Hope it helps.

Hi- bob here. Here’s some background info. Objects that light up at night have textures referred to as light maps. In other words.... LM’s. OK- So how do we get those? Three things we gotta do.
    1. take the texture of an object make a copy and rename that copy with the same name but add _LM to it.
    2. we have to change the brightness of the LM or it’ll stick out at night like a pig turd in a pan of milk!
    3. we have to tell FSX to look for the LM.

OK- That’s what we have to do. Now- HOW do we do this?
    First I am assuming you have your active folder with a scenery sub-folder and texture sub-folder inside.
    In this scenery folder is the library that has some objects, one of which is the Goodyear blimp. In the texture folder are the textures for this blimp. Let us assume there are two textures for Goodyear blimp, called GYblimpA.bmp and GYblimpB.bmp OK- here we go-

As per #1 above make copies of both textures, paste them somewhere and add LM to them. it is important that the LM is always the last thing before the dot (.bmp). So- they will look like this..... GYblimpA_LM.bmp and
    GYblimpB_LM.bmp.

Note that the LM is capitalized and there is a _ before it. (_LM) .

#2. Now we take these LM’s to your favorite paint program. Notice that these look awful funny. This is because they are still in DXT format. our paint programs cannot read them this way.

What we do is go get a free program called dxtbmp by Don Wright. Get it. Install it and open it. If there is trouble opening it Don has on his website all the files needed for it to work. These are basically Microsoft items. like dotnetframework, etc.

open each texture in turn in dxtbmp and click save (not save as), and opening save type as and scroll down to extended 32 bit 888-8 click it and save. overwrite? say yes.do this for each texture.

Now we can see what the textures looks like. Let’s take ‘em to our paint program. I use Corel’s PSPX4. Photoshop will work fine. All work about the same way.

Do the following to each LM texture.

In Corel at the menu choose adjust and choose brightness and contrast.
    For brightness run the slider down to get –84 and contrast –17. Notice how the texture gets darker? We want this because we don’t want it to light up like an arc lamp at Grumman's Chinese Theater.

This rather dark but trust me this is ok. BUT since it is the Goodyear blimp you might want to run the brightness down to –40 or so. You can always change all this if you need to.

Now- save and take the LM back to dxtbmp and change it back by 1. save, 2 choose dxt1,3, or 5 (either is ok (more on this later).

Now put the LM into your active scenery texture folder.

results- You will now have GYblimpA.bmp, GYblimpA_LM.bmp, GYblmipB.bmp and GYblimpB_LM.bmp.

#3. Now we have to tell FSX to go look for the LM’s at night. Make sure you have the development version of MCX (ModelconverterX) It is free. Get it, install it. You can make a folder anywhere and install it there.

Open MCX, click import, navigate to your active scenery \scenery folder at the bottom file type should read FS bgl. navigate to your library that has the blimp in it.

a. MCX will load the library in that folder. click the big black arrow facing right (top left of MCX window) to b. go to the blimp if there are other objects.
    c. hover your mouse arrow over the icons above slowly until you see help notes for each – click on the
    one that is called material editor. Ok- we see GYblimpA.bmp (ignore the LM’S),
    d. see the texture to the right? (you have a new window) click on the texture right on top of it.
    e. above you see the words ‘add night texture, and click ‘apply’. X out of this window go to the next item with the big black arrow and repeat. When you have done all, click ‘export scenery’ and save. overwrite? Yes. DONE.
    Go into the game at night and see you blimp light up!

Going From DDS to BMP:

Step 1. Open with DXP, flip image
    Step 2. Save as Extended Bitmap, Extended 32 bit 888-8
    Step 3. Rename _LM
    Step 4. Open with Paint.Net
    Step 5. Adjustments Brightness/Contrast -84/-17
    save as.
    Step 5. Open with DXP Save DXT1-DXT3
    Step 6. Open ModelConverter import scenery bgl, find object,open material editor,apply night texture, export scenery object and save.
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

A gentleman answered one of my threads on this topic and walked me through it. PM me or I will you and I will give you the steps. I wrote them down and it worked for me.
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

9. Default

Thanks Alot !usb777!

Gimp won't help you here. I downloaded paint.net. It's free and does what you need.
    Mike G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast