Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Let's talk about the weather

Both FSX default Weather tab AND external programs like ASN have the ability to inject user defined weather. In ASN, if you know a date and location where the weather was what you like to fly, you can alternatively set that date and if it's within three years past (if I remember right, I'm sure daveo will correct me) ASN will reproduce the weather on that date, location and hour of the day. ASN will continue to reproduce the weather on that day until you set it back to Live or set a different time. If you set a manual weather environment in ASN, ASN will keep it until you change it, set a date, or go Live.
    If you get something that causes you to flip cartwheels in glee, this can be saved to a weather file you can load any time you want.

As far as totally randomized weather based on geology and geography, the FSX default likely is the closest you'll get to that. In the Weather Tab select one of the themes at the top and move the "rate.. " slider at the bottom to LOW. FSX will start out with the theme you selected and randomly morph it over time. The lower the setting (except none) the slower the weather will change over time.

-Pv-
    Last edited by pvarn; 07-02-2014 at 07:22 PM.

ASN is for accurate weather, either real world or dated. But does not enhance/improve what you see through your windscreen, it tells FSX what type of clouds to use but does not add new or better looking clouds f.e. Only improves (very good) how the weather affects the handling of your airplane.
    REX can also do this, though imo not as good as ASN. But REX comes with great new textures for skies/clouds etc.
    This is the reason why so many (like me) use both. REX for the textures and ASN for the accurate weather depiction. In your description using custom made themes I think REX does a pretty good job, and it can select appropriate custom textures with the selected theme, which are injected into FSX before starting it.

HARRO LIPPMANN
    Acer Aspire M5811,Intel [email protected],MSI GTX760 2GB,6GB DDR,Saitek Yoke
    Win7 Home Premium 64bit FSX+Acceleration,ASN,REX4,UTX,GEX,RC4,PMDG,Assorted Airports

Thanks for you help, guys!

Well, as luck would have it, I happened to see in my inbox today an email about a big sale at PCAviator this weekend, including 50% off REX products! This might be the nudge I needed to dive in since it's only ~$22 usd. But I do realize that it's just a texture program. I guess I might as well start somewhere.

I have a feeling I'll grab ASN when/if it's on sale somewhere ... or if I just feel like throwing a few extra dollars into this hobby which will likely to be the case.
    HP Pavilion p7-1446 / Windows 8.1 (64bit) / AMD A10-5700 @ 3.4 GHz / 8 GB DDR3
    Radeon R7-260x / 2 GB / DDR5 @ 1600 MHz / 2 x 24" LCD monitors (1920x1080)
    Orbx FTX Global Base / Orbx FTX Vector / Orbx NA Regions / REX Essential / My Traffic X

Quote Originally Posted by pvarn View Post
    Right. I'll stop saying that.
    -Pv-
    Dave Opper
    HiFi Support Manager
    HiFi Technologies, Inc.

Is the issue with FSX real world weather solved? Mine hasn't been updating the past couple of days. My thought was that Microsoft and Jepsen contract ended or Micrisift stopped tech support for FSX?

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Is the issue with FSX real world weather solved? Mine hasn't been updating the past couple of days. My thought was that Microsoft and Jepsen contract ended or Micrisift stopped tech support for FSX?
    FSX real weather is an on again/off again situation.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    FSX real weather is an on again/off again situation.
    Exactly!

I was about to post something within the last two weeks about FSX weather being back up again. Then I started to "fly" out of Yuma one recent afternoon in Arizona. FSX updated weather said it was 65*! So I went onto Weather Underground to check for severe storms or perhaps a total eclipse. Since neither had happened, Weather Underground showed Yuma's temperature was almost as close to 65*C as 65*F!!
    i9-9900K CPU currently running 5gig + -, Aorus Z390 LGA 1151 MB, Kraken X61 280 mm water cooler, Corsair RM850X PS, Planteks full size tower, 64gig of DDR4 3200 RAM, EVGA 1080 GPU, 4TB "Black" HD, 1Tb SSD, joystick, rudder pedals, yoke, multi control panel, three monitors set up for panaramic views, Bose surround sound system, and a ton of powered usb ports.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2