Thread: Pilot Profile: Anders Young

1. Cool Pilot Profile: Anders Young

Hey y'all,

I'm a guy from California with a lifelong passion for aviation.

I've been enthralled with aviation from an early age. In the pre-9/11 days, my parents would take my sister and I to walk through the terminals at the airport and watch planes come and go. My first experience with Flight Simulator came in second grade, where a friend had a copy of FS2002 on his home computer. Inspired by a trip to Hong Kong the previous year with my father, I loaded up the stock 747 at VHHH and made a very basic introductory flight.

When I was old enough to bike around town on my own, around age 11 or 12, I quickly found directions to the local GA airport and spent many afternoon watching Cessnas do touch and goes from the airport fence. With many months of allowance savings, I bought a handheld RadioShack scanner to listen to the local UNICOM.

In my junior year of high school, I began my flight training at the same airport I would bike to as an 11 year old. I still remember the excitement of sitting in the left seat during my intro flight and realizing that I was finally on the other side of the fence, with the coms coming through a headset instead of a handheld. The summer after high school graduation, I passed my PPL checkride and moved to Arizona, where I live now.

I am currently in my third year of studying aerospace engineering at Arizona State University and am an active member of a professional aviation fraternity, Alpha Eta Rho. My career goal is to eventually work my way up to the majors or end up in the left seat of a cushy corporate gig.

A photo of me

Flying my neighbor's home built Rans S-18.

Welcome, Anders -- happy to have you with us, and thanks for the introduction. Sounds as if you're making good progress.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!