Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I’m too confused

Default I’m too confused

The title says it all. I’m a newbie and a novice; I was so fascinated with all the YouTube movies about fsx and flying. I even learned how to build a gaming pc from scratch. I bought a Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition. Well I had no idea what I was getting myself into; I thought it was a plug & play. I have a saitek rudder, yoke & throttle.
    The scenery graphics are bad,i'm still trying to figure out my grphics card setting!!. it’s hard to control the yoke and the rudder; I tried to adjust the setting for flying but still haven’t found the sweet spot. Right now I just go to free flight and pick up a plane. Is there something else I need to be doing? Do I need to download, purchase anything else it’s been about a month since I build the gaming pc, and still trying to figure out how to set up a flight? Sometimes I can’t even hold a flight on the sky, while I’m pulling on the yoke the planes go out of control and crash. I’m spending hours on line to figure it out, it’s too confusing!
    Any help will be greatly appreciate it.
    My pc specs are:

~Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ 6 MB Cache - BX80646I54670K

~WD Green 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZRX

~Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory

~MSI Radeon Video Graphics Card R9 270 GAMING 2G

~ Antec HCG M HCG-750M 750W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

~MSI Z87-G43 GAMING LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thank you very much
    Vroom64

Pulling on the yoke too hard for too long will cause the aircraft to stall, which when uncorrected will completely lose control of the aircraft. The aircraft attitude, along with the throttle setting, is what controls the aircraft. It's not like so many games that don't really mimic real flying, but instead flying FSX is, in many ways, much like flying a real aircraft, needing instruction, practice and, often, patience as well.

I'd suggest you take the builtin flying lessons in FSX to learn to control the aircraft, starting with something like the Cessna 172. And it's easy to overcontrol, chasing the aircraft instead of really controlling it, so learn to make small movements of the controls. Note that in roll, for example, you add a bit of aileron in one direction then, when you have the bank angle you want, you center the ailerons, though sometimes you might have to add a little bit from time to time to maintain the bank angle. You'll also learn that rudder and elevator must me used for a proper, level turn.

There's more, so take those lessons -- it'll pay off in the long run, and you'll learn to enjoy it a lot.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I totally agree with lnuss. Most newbies to flying (whether real or sim) get confused on the term "Stall". When you think of cars, a stall would mean your engine shut off, but thats not an aviation stall. Aircraft fly by lift that is created from airflow over the wings, when an aircrafts speed gets too low the wing will "stall" which means there is not enough air flow over the wing to create enough lift to keep airborne. Its all about speed (to create lift) and attitude. When you pitch up the nose you sacrifice speed for altitude, and when the speed gets too low from aggressive climbing a stall occurs.
    AMD FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz water cooled - 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz - 2 Geforce 480's 1.5GB each (non-sli) 2Seat SimPit - 8 Monitors - Saitek Gear - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEOqGqc9VWs

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman6x9x9 View Post
    I totally agree with lnuss. Most newbies to flying (whether real or sim) get confused on the term "Stall". When you think of cars, a stall would mean your engine shut off, but thats not an aviation stall. Aircraft fly by lift that is created from airflow over the wings, when an aircrafts speed gets too low the wing will "stall" which means there is not enough air flow over the wing to create enough lift to keep airborne. Its all about speed (to create lift) and attitude. When you pitch up the nose you sacrifice speed for altitude, and when the speed gets too low from aggressive climbing a stall occurs.
    Agreed. It's more refered to a "stall of the wing". Not an engine stall.

I don't know but maybe this will help:

http://www.flyaoamedia.com/aviator-90/

This should help you get set with the basics.
    RW: Student - Sport Pilot - CTLS - KLWM

I agree with the lessons and I would also suggest the Mission Tutorials as well. Practice, then practice some more!
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

First of all, yes, the scenery looks bad. There are products that can make it look better, but nothing I've seen looks truly realistic under all conditions.

Learn to fly the Cessna 172. Especially, learn not to over-control, and learn to think ahead. Leave the sexy stuff like the P-51 and F-18 alone until you are proficient with the 172.

As mentioned above, do the lessons in the Learning Center at least through Private Pilot, go back for the others when you're ready. Also as mentioned, do the first dozen or two missions. Alternate between the lessons and the missions, and free flights (in the 172, can't emphasize that enough) to reinforce what you're learning in the lessons.

There are lots of addons available, ranging from free to quite expensive. But you don't need to buy anything more; you should be able to do fine with what you have. Incidentally the pedals, yoke and throttle were a wise investment. There is more hardware available, but you have the essentials.

Oh, and did I mention to learn to fly on the 172?

what makes those you tube videos look so realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by vroom64 View Post
    what makes those you tube videos look so realistic?
    Usually, lots of video editing and post processing. Do not expect to be able to make your FSX look like a youtube video in realtime.

What is a good graphics card I'm thinking about replacing my Radeon r9270!! Unless u guys think it's fine with what I have, I just did t think amd cars work well will Intel !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast