Thread: Pilot Profile: Tsetse

Default Pilot Profile: Tsetse

Hello,

I am A South Korean who has lived in Indonesia for 12 years, and now I am studying in the United States. What does this mean? A very confused national identity.

I was introduced to aviation when I was in 2nd grade. A friend's father was a mechanic, but he really enjoyed flying his addon Maule in FS2002. I decided I'd like to give the flight sim a shot, so I loaded up a flight in a 737 and took off, eventually reaching a 60* climb pitch. Needless to say, the flight didn't end very well.

Flight sim has gotten me to love aviation. Despite numerous groundings (by parents), I always found a way to still fly the sim. Over the years, I spent the majority of my free time doing something with aviation, such as visiting the local airport and watching all sorts of airplanes take off and land.

Today, I am a college student in LeTourneau University in Longview, TX. LETU has a flight school and I am currently majoring in Aircraft Systems/Elec. Tech. Concentration (which will earn me my A&P) and minoring in Professional Flight (which will get me, in the end, my commercial with single-engine addon). My multiple airport visitations has helped me quite a bit; I am now in the university's Sting Precision Flight Team, set to compete in Aircraft ID this upcoming NIFA National competition in KOSU.

Although I do not have any official time logged in any airplane, I will begin my flight training this month in a Citabria 7ECA. I have, however, had previous non-official time in various missionary bushplanes such as the Cessna 208A Amphibian and 208B, the Pilatus PC-6B2/H4 Turbo Porter, and the Quest Kodiak 100. I hope to obtain my Private Pilot's by the end of the summer break. I have successfully passed all my prerequisite classes, and I have one more obstacle to get over: the FAA private pilot written exam. As I write, the exam is coming up in approx. 4 hours.

Sitting back in my home in Papua, Indonesia, is a 6-foot high stack of magazines, most of them aviation-related, that I'd accumulated over the years. Around 50% of the aviation periodicals are Flying mags (the oldest dating back to 1998), 30% AOPA (I'm not a member YET; just collected from other pilots), 10% Air&Space and the rest an assortment of FlightJournal, AviationWeek and Airliners mag. I am currently subscribed to Flying and Aviationweek.

I am also an RC airplane flyer. You will be able to find me under the username "Minivation" at RCGroups.com. I have 3 model airplanes with me at college, but I have to admit that their size is not a good mix with the very crammed dimensions of my dorm room.
    Last edited by TseTse; 05-02-2014 at 12:49 PM.

TseTse ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS74 Laptop: Intel i7-4720HQ @ 2.6-3.6GHz | Nvidia GTX960M 2GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3 | 750GB Samsung SSD | Windows 10 x64

2. Default

Welcome aboard! Good luck with your studies...it seems the aviation bug has bitten hard!

Welcome! Sure hope things go as planned, for you. Thanks for sharing your information.

I've just started flying RC helicopters -- neat stuff, but learning takes intense concentration and a very light touch.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    Welcome! Sure hope things go as planned, for you. Thanks for sharing your information.

I've just started flying RC helicopters -- neat stuff, but learning takes intense concentration and a very light touch.
    They say flying a helicopter is like balancing a marble on top of a beach ball...

They say flying a helicopter is like balancing a marble on top of a beach ball...
    That seems about right. Because I had to learn indoors (weather), and there weren't any large open spaces in my living room, I broke a handful of rotor blades and a couple of tail booms (Blade 120SR, fixed pitch rotor), but now that I can get outside with it and I've gotten better, The learning cost is vastly reduced, and the tight spaces indoors aren't much of a problem any more until it's such close quarters that the rotorwash does funny things to it.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Quote Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
    :-) That's a true. Someone says a helicopter pilot is a real pilot, fixed wing pilots are tourists but someone says helicopter pilots are mosquitos' hunters while airplanes pilots are eagles but...

In my opinion, we are a family eheh!

Hi TseTse,

I wrote to you yestarday but I don't know if you received my message. I noted that you have the same laptop tan me and you're usinf FSX, since I brought the laptop three months ago I was trying to get the best performance without really succes, so I want to knoe if you get better FPS tan me and what is you PC configuration. Thank you in advance for your response.

Javier Linares