Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ram 4 GB, 8 GB or 16 GB

Default Ram 4 GB, 8 GB or 16 GB

What is now the best Ram? This:
    G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800 240-Pin Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM.

or this:
    G.skill Ripjaws Series 16gb (4 X 4gb) 240-pin Ddr3 Sdram Ddr3 1600 (Pc3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800cl9q?

I thought we only needed 4 gb ram and I have 8 gb in my system now but am building a new system.
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Mike, FSX by itself can only address 4 GB, being a 32-bit application. However, Windows also needs some space, that's why you should have a 64-bit version of Windows (so Windows itself can address more than 4 GB) and 8 GB of RAM.

Jorgen

Thanks, I am in the process of putting together a new build now that people like you have helped teach me more. The one I have (below) is great for the $800.00 I have into it but I want to go to three monitors so I am starting with an intel 4770 and a GTX-770 4 GB card. money is a little tight do you think sticking with 8 GB will be ok? I am only going to use the new build for FSX and FS9 I have another home computer for the real work. Wait! I thought the FSX was the real work!
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

If you're going to use the new-build for FSX and FS9 only, then 8 GB is fine.

Jorgen

Thanks! I just wasn't sure if I needed the 16 gb for anything.
    Mike G.

Just make sure whatever you get is a 2x4gb configuration and not a 4x2gb, you can always add the other 8 gigs later if you want.

You may want to look into the CFF Explorer Suite, and a part of that called Largeaddress.exe. It makes the 32 bit programs like FS9 and FSX use memory addresses like a 64 bit program. Only works on 64 bit Windows systems, but it makes a difference! It basically sets a bit in the EXE file that makes it able to utilize the larger address spaces the 64-bit written programs can. This means virtual memory, pagefile, RAM, whatever.
    Don't know if that'll help any but it made y FS9 run a lOT better on my (now) fairly low end laptop.
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    You may want to look into the CFF Explorer Suite, and a part of that called Largeaddress.exe. It makes the 32 bit programs like FS9 and FSX use memory addresses like a 64 bit program. Only works on 64 bit Windows systems, but it makes a difference! It basically sets a bit in the EXE file that makes it able to utilize the larger address spaces the 64-bit written programs can. This means virtual memory, pagefile, RAM, whatever.
    Don't know if that'll help any but it made y FS9 run a lOT better on my (now) fairly low end laptop.
    Pat☺
    First, FSX already has that flag set if you have SP2 or Acceleration installed. And second, no it does let 23 bit programs use memory like a 64 bit application. It does also work on 32 bit systems, though one would also have to play the /3GB setting too. In the Windows world, 32 bit programs are limited by default to 2GB of address space, whether they are running on 32 or 64 bit systems. If they have the largeaddressaware flag set, they can access up to 4GB of address space (again, even on a 32 bit system). This 4GB limit, however, is due to their 32 bit nature, and can't be overcome by any flag. 64 bit programs, on the other hand, can access far more virtual address space.

Loki,

Allow me to quote: "In the Windows world, 32 bit programs are limited by default to 2GB of address space, whether they are running on 32 or 64 bit systems."

I thought that address space limit was 4 GB, not 2?

Jorgen

I thought that address space limit was 4 GB, not 2?
    Under 32 bit Windows each application is given 4GB of virtual address space. This address space is divided in half, 2GB for the application and 2GB for the OS (including drivers and system processes). As programs were not always well written and would not behave correctly with more than 2GB of address space, this default 2GB limit was carried over to 64 Windows systems (Microsoft is usually pretty big on maintaining backwards compatibility). On 32 bit Windows systems this split in the virtual address space can be tweaked using the so called "/3GB switch". However, programs also require the largeaddressaware flag to be set for the OS to allow access to more than 2GB of address space, even under 64 bit Windows.

A few years ago I posted a couple of links about Windows memory management in the PC Software forum. Good reading if one wants to really get into what Windows is doing with memory.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...-Memory-Limits

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast