Thread: Airport at the top of the world

1. Default Airport at the top of the world

I was just adding some military AI to my flight simulator and came across the B-47 Stratojet flights on wiki. It mentioned an airbase named Thule AB, Greenland. So I looked it up in my flight simulator and to my amazement there was an airport with a 10,000' runway near the top of Greenland!

So I rebuilt it with my AFCAD and added it for AI aircraft to fly to. Now I am getting ready to make the flight myself.

Has anybody ever flown to Thule AB in Greenland?

(The airport at the top of the world!!!)

Check out Alert, in Nunavut, Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alert_Airport

Even further north!

3. Default

Been there for decades. Air Force personnel could be assigned there in the 1970s.

sure have, part of year dark other part near 24hrs. daylight.!

When I was in Strategic Air Command, heard many times about Thule. It was one of those "there's a girl behind every tree" bases. Godawful. I lucked out, was stationed for most of my hitch at sunny March AFB, southern California. More girls than trees.

This may be of interest. It's an occasional destination for those of us who fly US Air Force vLite VA missions.

FSX - FSX Scenery
    FSX Scenery--Thule AB BGTL
    Name: thuleab-bgtl.zip
    Size: 376,615 Date: 02-22-2010 Downloads: 1,320

FSX Scenery--Thule AB BGTL, Greenland. Located 750 miles north of the Arctic Circle Thule AB is the U.S. Armed Forces' northernmost installation. Nine parking areas, more of the closed taxiways have been included. By Adam Keet.
    Last edited by ftldave; 04-07-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: edit txt

I don't know if its the same or not, but I've heard about Thule AFB in the movie "Executive Decision" aka "Critical Decision".

Quote Originally Posted by stokeoblet View Post
    I was just adding some military AI to my flight simulator and came across the B-47 Stratojet flights on wiki. It mentioned an airbase named Thule AB, Greenland. So I looked it up in my flight simulator and to my amazement there was an airport with a 10,000' runway near the top of Greenland!

So I rebuilt it with my AFCAD and added it for AI aircraft to fly to. Now I am getting ready to make the flight myself.

Has anybody ever flown to Thule AB in Greenland?

(The airport at the top of the world!!!)
    Hey! I just flew to Thule AB from KWRI in the US (East Coast). 5.6 hour flight in a C-17. Upon arrival I discovered they have done with Thule what they did with most of the other Air Force bases.....The only scenery is the fuel pump and the Runway/taxiways! I am a Vietnam vet and an air base without scenery is very unsatisfying! Anyway you could share your created software with us? Thanks, John Bartlow in Rochester NY
    Last edited by Nels_Anderson; 08-24-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Juan, instead of putting your email address, contact the op via private message, keep your email private.

Col.

9. Default

Been to both Alert and Thule in the Sim myself. I'm on my way toward Greenland now for yet another trip around the world.

My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ColR1948 View Post
    Juan, instead of putting your email address, contact the op via private message, keep your email private.

Col.

This site uses CloudFlare and if they have the option on to obfuscate emails addresses that would help so that bots don't harvest it. It really is never a good idea to share an email on a public forum.

My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.