Thread: ADE Question-- The 1.60 version of ADE will not open my older .ad2 files

Default ADE Question-- The 1.60 version of ADE will not open my older .ad2 files

Hi, and to my question we go...

I have a few airports I edited within the past 2 yrs or so. They were done off the older ADE v1.50 & 1.51 programs. They saved as .ad2 files before the compile to .bgl.

When I got a new computer last year, I simply copy and pasted all my edited airport folders from the old to the new computer... so the airport files are still .ad2 ... but I downloaded and installed the latest version of ADE which is now 1.60.

I like to save the airport files in case I ever want to edit again-- as I think I read, or was told by Jon Masterson himself that it's generally not a good idea to edit from the .bgl and save those changes to a new compiled .bgl... (problems can ensue).

But ADE v1.60 creates airport files with an .ad3 suffix instead. It will not open the older .ad2 (and no... manually renaming the file extension from 'ad.2' to 'ad.3' doesn't help. The program simply doesn't recognize the newer file type).

My question is, given this limitation... if I want to edit one of those airports I worked on awhile ago, is it advisable to open the actual .bgl file in the ADE1.60 version, save any changes I make as a newer .ad3 airport file, and then compile that into a new .bgl?

I know it's technically inadvisable to be making edits from .bgl's, but I can't think of any other way to do this; unless I were to put the old .ad2 file on a flash drive, stick the drive in my old laptop which still has the ADE 1.50 sitting on it from 2012-13, edit, save as a new .ad2, compile from there, put back on the flash drive, and then put back on the new computer as the new .bgl. That just seems like a real PITA and a waste of time.

Or is there a way to force ADE v1.60 to recognize & open .ad2 files, and I've just overlooked how to do that?

Thank you,

-- John
    Platforms: Dovetail Flight School, P3D(v2.5), FSX-steam(v10.0.62615.0), FS2004(v9.1), X-Plane(v7.63);

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Hard-Drive: Toshiba HDWD110 (1TB); RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600;

CPU: AMD FX 8120 8-core processor 3.1Ghz; GPU: AMD Radeon HD-XFX R7870 2GB GDDR5;
    PSU: Corsair 600CX (600 Watt);

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. LTD. 970A-DS3P; Water Cooling: Antec Kuhler 620

There should be no such limitation. ADE 1.60 should read any ADE project file including ad2. I will check and if we have introduced a bug in the current version it will be fixed in the next update.

Sent from my Sony Xperia with Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scruffyduck View Post
    There should be no such limitation. ADE 1.60 should read any ADE project file including ad2. I will check and if we have introduced a bug in the current version it will be fixed in the next update.

Sent from my Sony Xperia with Tapatalk
    Jon, I am so sorry. You are right.... I was wrong. For some reason, when I copied all those old files over to the new computer, the .ad2 file icons were an empty white inside my windows 7 explorer folder, indicating I couldn't open them up with any available program. There wasn't even an "open with" option on a right mouse click.

But then I figured out, (just on an accidental whim of curiosity), that if I right click on an .ad2 file, go into the properties and open up the box in the 'general' tab, there is an option to force a program to open the file with. It was set to "Windows Explorer Shell"... whatever that means... (means empty/blank & can't do anything as far as I could tell); so I changed it to "ADE". Now .ad2's open up with ADE v1.60 just fine!

So sorry about any alarm I caused. Disregard the prior post.
    Platforms: Dovetail Flight School, P3D(v2.5), FSX-steam(v10.0.62615.0), FS2004(v9.1), X-Plane(v7.63);

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Hard-Drive: Toshiba HDWD110 (1TB); RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600;

CPU: AMD FX 8120 8-core processor 3.1Ghz; GPU: AMD Radeon HD-XFX R7870 2GB GDDR5;
    PSU: Corsair 600CX (600 Watt);

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. LTD. 970A-DS3P; Water Cooling: Antec Kuhler 620

You beat me to it. I just ran a test here and I can open .ad2 files fine with the latest version.

You don't need to assign anything in Windows. ADE will open that file extension when running.