Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WideViewAspect=True

Default WideViewAspect=True

What is the advantage of this setting in the fsx.cfg file? Or is it a matter of taste.

[DISPLAY]
    WideViewAspect=True
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Advantage? Preferred if you have a wide screen monitor. Most of the people have it these days.

If you use that setting, an external view zoom of 1.0 will be more or less visually correct. All explained on this tube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjbCFNSofpk

scott s.

Quote Originally Posted by rishabk97 View Post
    Preferred if you have a wide screen monitor.
    That's the usual propaganda, and it's wrong. For anyone using a single monitor, regardless of aspect ratio, the WideViewAspect setting is a technicality and offers no practical advantage. You will be able to zoom out further, that's all.
    MarkH

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hurst View Post
    That's the usual propaganda, and it's wrong. For anyone using a single monitor, regardless of aspect ratio, the WideViewAspect setting is a technicality and offers no practical advantage. You will be able to zoom out further, that's all.
    Didn't know that. Thanks for the information.

When I got a wide screen monitor, I used WideViewAspect=True and was never really happy with the perspective. I reverted back to 'false' a couple of times, but that didn't look right at all, so I've stuck with 'true'.

I've also tested all the zoom levels and agree that 1.00 seems to offer the best perspective.

I have got used to it over time.

IAN
    Ryzen 5600X, AM4, Zen+ 6 Core 12 thread
    Nvidia 3070 Founders edition 16 Gig RAM - Windows 10
    MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition
    Resolution 1920 x 1080

Hi,
    If MS had referred to it as wide angle view there would be less confusion. As stated by others it has nothing to do with the aspect ratio of the display. When set to True it forces the display to 0.69 zoom of what the zoom would be when Backspace is pressed when set to False. This is easily verified and when I see statements from supposed FSX "experts" saying that it should be set to True if you have a widescreen monitor I really question everything they say. No big deal as I pretty much question everything anyway.
    One disadvantage to setting it to True is that a runway width would appear to be 69% of what it would be otherwise. And as is often the case the Flight, without pressing Backspace, is already set for 0.7 zoom, this results in a 100 foot wide runway appearing as though it were 50 feet wide. I try to simulate what would be seen in real life as closely as possible and the restricted field of view felt unnatural until I considered this: when I'm driving and looking down the road, in order to see the speedometer I have to look down. I can't see everything at once.
    Jim F.

Another strange thing is that when I set to true, I seem to get less of an impression of height than with false.

i.e. with true, as I approach the runway, I feel like 'm on a real approach, but when using true, it feels like I'm approaching very low.

IAN
    Ryzen 5600X, AM4, Zen+ 6 Core 12 thread
    Nvidia 3070 Founders edition 16 Gig RAM - Windows 10
    MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition
    Resolution 1920 x 1080

Hi Ian,
    I only fly with it set to false so I really can't comment on that. About a year ago I took advantage of this flight school offer of 3 hours of flying and three hours of classroom. I didn't take off or land but had control of all the rest. We landed at 3 airports that I'm familiar with and everything felt right. I only had one experience of feeling that things weren't right when landing, but it turned out I was assuming we were going to land and turn at a specific taxiway and we actually used another. The flare or something just didn't go as I anticipated. I found that in actual flight it's a lot easier to set the pitch and maintain course and altitude. The physical sensations of change are a real aid. I had a heck of a time taxing. I didn't have rudder pedals at the time and didn't realize a C172 doesn't have a nose wheel that steers but casters in response to the brakes at low speeds. I was used to downhill skiing in which to turn left you apply pressure to your right foot; just the opposite while taxiing. I really didn't know what the problem I had was until I got pedals. It's amazing how accurately the transition from the brakes to the rudder controlling the direction as speed increases is so accurately modeled in FSX.
    Jim F.

Quote Originally Posted by cianpars View Post
    Another strange thing is that when I set to true, I seem to get less of an impression of height than with false.

i.e. with true, as I approach the runway, I feel like 'm on a real approach, but when using true, it feels like I'm approaching very low.
    Then my guess is you have the zoom set differently in each case or it's your imagination.
    Last edited by Mark Hurst; 03-09-2014 at 05:15 PM.
    MarkH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast