Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FSX Splash Screen Crash

Exclamation FSX Splash Screen Crash

Hello, I'm new to the forums

I've just started to have this problem, where my fsx has just stops responding during the splash screen, making me end the process manually via the task manager. I don't get any error reports or anything like that, and when I check the event viewer, it says:

The program fsx.exe version 10.0.61637.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
    Process ID: 1010
    Start Time: 01cf27142cddddd5
    Termination Time: 5
    Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
    Report Id:

FSX was working fine just yesterday, I have already looked through forum after forum, post after post and none of the solutions seem to work. I have already tried renaming fsx.cfg, looked for corrupt logbook entries, restarted and even tried system restore to before I installed AVG PC Tuneup (which fsx worked before). I would only reinstall the game as a last resort as I have many addons and scenery installed. Is it possible that AVG has somehow corrupted my FSX?

Game: FSX Acceleration

Thanks in advance
    Elefunts

Time to bite the bullet! Go back to your logbook and rename it something else. That's only if you care to try to save it and fix it. Now start FSX and it will rebuild a new one. Now it should start up as usual.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

3. Default

If avg made changes in the registry that could definitely mess things up.

mrzippy: Time to bite the bullet! Go back to your logbook and rename it something else. That's only if you care to try to save it and fix it. Now start FSX and it will rebuild a new one. Now it should start up as usual.
    I've tried renaming Logbook.BIN but FSX still won't load past the splash screen (it still says Not Responding on the task manager). When I check the folder again, it hasn't created a new Logbook file. Any other suggestions?

il88pp: If avg made changes in the registry that could definitely mess things up.
    I think AVG did change something in the registry, do you know any way I can fix that?

Thanks
    Last edited by Elefunts; 02-12-2014 at 04:17 AM.

Now it really looks like time for a repair!

stock repair answer:
    The biggie with a Repair is any default file, including those default aircraft.cfgs with added liveries, that have been modified, tweaked, or otherwise changed, will be returned to default status.
    You can make a copy of your existing FSX folder before the repair and paste those individual files back in afterwards.
    IMPORTANT:
    Acceleration Repair only fixes what the Acceleration expansion pack modifies/adds. It will not repair core FSX files.
    If you have SP1, SP2, or Acceleration installed, they will have to be uninstalled before a repair attempt, and reinstalled, after the repair, or it won't work.

Once you have your FSX up and running properly again, back it up, all of it.
    You may need it again and it's a lot easier than a Repair or Re-Install.

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

hmm... A repair looks a lot like a re-install as all the files will be changed... Before this problem happened, I did back up the whole FSX folder, which was playable before the crashes. When I try to open the fsx in the backup, it still freezes on the splash screen.

I don't think its the files in the FSX folder as the backup didn't work either, I think its something to do with the registry where AVG changed something. Is there anything else I can do before I attempt a Repair or reinstall?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elefunts View Post
    hmm... A repair looks a lot like a re-install as all the files will be changed... Before this problem happened, I did back up the whole FSX folder, which was playable before the crashes. When I try to open the fsx in the backup, it still freezes on the splash screen.

I don't think its the files in the FSX folder as the backup didn't work either, I think its something to do with the registry where AVG changed something. Is there anything else I can do before I attempt a Repair or reinstall?

Thanks
    Sorry, I don't know that much about registry problems. If you use a registry cleaner it would probably wipeout anything to do with FSX and you'll still be stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefunts View Post
    where my fsx has just stops responding during the splash screen, making me end the process manually via the task manager.
    Actually, for me everytime I start FSX, it says not responding. Its the initial loading time that FSX takes. What are the results if you wait for some time before actually ending the program through task manager?

9. Default

Programs like that, that make changes to the registry, usually back-up the registry so they can undo those changes as well.

Also maybe in your windows back-ups you have older back ups of the registry.

Messing with the registry is not for the faint of hart.

While my morning cup of coffee is starting to get me cranked up, I just had another thought. While your task manager is up, click the performance tab and see what the CPU is doing. If it's at 100% it's lost and can't find it's way! My Norton AntiVirus program runs PC tuneup all the time with no problems. Do you run any Malware or Antispyware programs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast