Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Sky Next Discussions

Default Active Sky Next Discussions

Comments, help, hints, tips, questions concerning Active Sky Next aka ASN ASNEXT

As of this posting, Active Sky Next hotfix to be used with FSUIPC 4.926 and later has been posted. This combination is intended to solve issues related to the use of Active Sky Next RTM (initial release) and the early December release of FSUIPC 4.925.

This thread is not meant to replace the very informative and up to date Hifi Active Sky support forum: http://www.hifitechinc.com/forums/fo...hnical-Support
    ... but is added here as a convenience to FlightSim.com forum users.

-Pv-
    2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Hint and Tip #1

Many people don't realize that when you use the MET button in the Xgauge, this represents the CLOSEST reliable reporting station that is not too old.
    If this station is where you are at the time, you will see the same weather the MET button describes. However, if you are far from the closest station the MET feature decides to report, the report will not represent the weather at your current location. ASN will be modifying the weather along your path to smooth toward weather in the direction you are traveling. ASN also prioritizes based on your flight plan, smoothing the route along your plan for the best results. This means you only have to be a few miles away from a station in a dense reporting area for the weather to change slightly.

To summarize, don't expect the MET report to be exactly matched to your current location and observed conditions all the time because that's not what it's meant to do.
    -Pv-
    2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Hint and Tip #2

The UI Map Sigmet/Airmet/Pirep layer is very useful for displaying severe weather in different parts of the world or along your route.
    I leave this layer on all the time. I also turn it on (SIG) in the gauge when I expect to fly through these areas so I can see the boundaries.
    If you encounter unexpected turbulence, it can often be attributed to flying through one of these areas.

For the same reasons, I ALWAYS leave the Windshear layers on in both the UI and gauge. Otherwise, you miss the opportunity to avoid these VERY disruptive events.

-Pv-

Hint and Tip #3

Flight Plan Autoloading.
    As of Hotfix 1 (B5099) there is a known limitation on the flight plan filename. There cannot be more than one dot in the filename. Commas are also a problem.
    Works:
    KSEA to KDEN(summa5BKE-tompsn4).pln
    Doesn't work:
    KSEA to KDEN(summa5.BKE-tompsn4).pln

Unchanged is that you have to load a flight plan manually at least once in the ASN main UI Flight Plan screen using the folder path you intend to use to load your flight plans within FSX. This sets the path in ASN so it can find the filename.

From then on, you can load flight plans into FSX and they will autoload into ASN if it is running.

-Pv-
    Last edited by pvarn; 12-20-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Hint and Tip #4

Searching for weather.
    The Search page is the fastest and easiest way to find the kind of weather you want to fly in, whether to avoid rough spots or seek them out. IMC are locations were visibility is poor.

My favorite technique is to use the Quick Search in the the upper left, then use the options to refine the search.
    Interpolated stations are those which are not actively reporting or data is too old to use, so ASN is fabricating weather for those locations based on other stations.

When you see an interesting location, double click on it. This will bring up the Current Conditions screen in a new undocked window.
    You can do this for as many stations as you want. I like to use undocked Current Conditions to keep watch on my primary and/or alternate destination airports as I fly.

-Pv-

I still use FS9, but FSX occasionally. Now that iFy have a weather radar that integrates with ASN, FSX may just get used a little more. Exciting times in the FS world.

Hint and Tip #5

Quick Zoom.

Both the main UI and the gauge have a "details" feature. This feature locks the view distance to the maximum at which the display can show maximum details. In the gauge: "DTL."

I find it useful to turn off the DTL button and zoom out far enough I can spot changes in cloud density or sig/air mets I might cross then use the DTL button to snap back and forth between closeup and distance views.

Set the non DTL view in the gauge to something useful for looking ahead, like 300 miles.
    Now click DTL. The range will snap down to the maximum range at which the gauge can display full details (usually 90-100 miles.)
    Now you can click the DTL button and snap back and forth instantly between these two views instead of using the -+ keys to change by increments. Now I can easily keep an eye on systems ahead AND see the pockets of clouds/rain/snow around me right now.

-Pv-

Hint and Tip #6

Enhanced Flight Plans.

Not only can ASN create simple flight plans from scratch, but you can use insert tools to enhance the generated or imported plan.
    With the navigation list displayed in the planner, double-click one of them. The map screen will display with the location centered. Right click a location on the map. An option menu provides options for inserting a new waypoint. If you do this BEFORE saving the plan to be used in your plan's navigation program, the inserted point become part of the navigation. If you do this WITHOUT modifying your navigation version of the plan, it becomes an enhancement which does not affect navigation. This is useful if the navigation points are sparse along your route or widely spaced.

Example:
    While displaying a plan, insert a WP no closer than 15 miles from departure or destination. Give it any name you want.
    In the Briefing screen, you will see your new WP inserted into the briefing with weather details at that location.

I find this handy when I want to see additional weather details along the route including altitudes I might climb or descend through which
    might contain turbulence, freezing or mountain obscuration.

Note: Although the ASN Flight Planner is useful if you just want to generated a quick, simple plan on the fly, it does not have SIDs, STARS, or 5 letter waypoints. More often, I will import FPs created with other tools, then use the insert if I need to enhance the briefing with more details.

-Pv-

Hint and Tip #7

Historical Weather.

ASN has two ways to fly weather in the past:
    1) Load a saved ASN Weather File.
    2) Using Historical Mode, set a date and time.

In Historical Mode, by setting a date, ASN will use meters saved on the ASN weather severs up to three years old.
    Be aware this uses METAR data so is based on ground observations (Temp, Pressure, clouds, winds and comments.)
    Since ASN is a new product and high altitude is not included in Metars, your high altitude portion of the flight will likely vary from what you have experienced flying this same time in other weather generators.

At this time, SIGMETS, AIRMETS and PIREPS are not included in historical data on the AS servers or saved files. If your flight routes are usually strongly influenced by these reports, your historical weather will more strongly based on metars and your flight plan. You will not be able to recapture the experience these extreme weather reports provide.

A useful feature of the Historical Mode is the lock to sim time checkbox. When using this, ASN will sync to the time in FSX and not display weather metars beyond this time. This is very helpful when you want to be able to pause or restart the sim and keep ASN from advancing in real time and eliminate the need to manually reset the time in ASN.

-Pv-
    Last edited by pvarn; 01-07-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Hint and Tip #8

Voice Briefing.
    Similar to AS2012, ASN provides three frequencies you can tune to in the aircraft to get voice descriptions of weather conditions during your flight. You must have a flight plan filed in ASN to get route and destination.
    Using your radio panel, tune to 122.0 get get a voice report from the closest active station that is not too old (less than 2 hours.)
    122.02 to get conditions at your destination.
    122.05 to get a report on your whole flight plan.

If your flight plan is a long one the report can take a while to read through. One of the advantages of the route report is weather in ASN is not static. If the flight is over an hour long, it's not unusual for weather to change along your flight. What you thought was a benign route when you took off may have TS or turbulence show up along the way. The voice briefing will inform you of these changes.

While planning your flight in the UI, your entire route is available as voice in the Briefing screen. One of the advantages of this is the text briefing does not report Sigmets, Airmets or Pireps which represent severe weather conditions. The voice briefing will report these events.
    Another advantage is you can listen to them while doing other things like viewing various Current conditions screens mentioned by the briefing or setting up FS and your aircraft.
    The text briefing while very informative is also tedious to read. The voice will present the most important information in an abbreviated format.

The UI Briefing screen is like having a professional airline meteorological office in your computer.
    -Pv-
    Last edited by pvarn; 01-07-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast