Default Embarrassment having to land and ask directions due to being lost

"Was it left at the fork or right?"

Nice detail1.bmp.

Blog Entries

Wrong way Corrigan?

Don't trust the farmer for directions.
    Larry

"Fly the Friendly Skies... but bring a world atlas!"

I think you just bought his entire crop. Hope you like cream of wheat. -- Bob

You go down to the old Finnegan place , he doesn't live there any more, turn up the left fork, then at the old well with a red pump you veer right. go to the DX station, it is now a JiffyMart, but everybody calls it the DX, take another right. There is a big rock about 1/2 mile down the road, you can see it from there.
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I'll bet the flight attendants are chatting among themselves saying "See, this is what happens when men don't ask for directions!"

In the good old days before GPS pilots were known to fly low enough over roads to read the signs. When I was doing my first solo cross country my instructor said to just fly a straight runway heading until I came to the Interstate, take a right, and follow it until I could pick up my destination VOR. So that's the way I mapped and flew it. His thinking was that there was no point in over complicating my first solo long trip out of the nest and he was right. I could relax and concentrate on flying the plane.
    Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Flight View Post
    In the good old days before GPS pilots were known to fly low enough over roads to read the signs. When I was doing my first solo cross country my instructor said to just fly a straight runway heading until I came to the Interstate, take a right, and follow it until I could pick up my destination VOR. So that's the way I mapped and flew it. His thinking was that there was no point in over complicating my first solo long trip out of the nest and he was right. I could relax and concentrate on flying the plane.
    My early x-country was over featureless land in Florida (in the days before GPS became common). I asked a pilot how he got to know the area and he gave me advice to use a major road, and follow it until I spotted an airport or feature I could recognise, and navigate from there..
    Later on, I mastered GPS Navigation and that was revelatory.
    Never had a problem in the wee UK after that, despite congested airspace... `Left side` on all corridors was the watchword at the time, meaning you only needed to look out the right side for feature recognition, and passing traffic, except helos.
    Never had an airmiss to this day, but seen dozens in close proximity to airfields...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast