Thread: Article: Interview With Wycliffe Barrett

Blog Entries

Default Article: Interview With Wycliffe Barrett

Fantastic interview with a fantastic scenery developper.

Hi All

Such is the speed of development these days that since this interview a few things have happened that make scenery development a lot easir for anyone who might like to create something for themselves of the community. There has been some exciting work done during the summer on WED which when released will really make it very easy to create airports with othophotos already inplace. This actually removes a half dozen different processes using several different packages. I suspect this release will be WED1.3 or something like that and is very much Ben Supniks decision and no on else.

Recently a package was released called OSMAirportsX that utilises Openstreetmaps data and helps create very basic airports with all runways, taxiways and some buildings, this is quite revolutionary and just changes the 3rd party dev landscape completely opening up the world of scenery dev to a far greater number of people. You still need to do a lot of work in WED in terms of finessing an airport but a lot of the donkey work is done.

OSMAirportsX is exciting and makes life so much easier but it still require some work in the code as it can throw out some quite spurious results, but i like it and will keep a close eye on ist development.

Wycliffe

My favourite part of this is the willingness to give something back to the community, a truly noble thing to do in a world of money taking and selfishness.
    I do applaud your skills to understand the 767 in flight, pre 9/11 with LevelD experience when the Level D was released 4 years after 9/11. Remarkable.
    Last edited by 24rb777; 10-10-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Could have been a very, very, very early beta tester ? lol oh dear

Quote Originally Posted by 24rb777 View Post
    My favourite part of this is the willingness to give something back to the community, a truly noble thing to do in a world of money taking and selfishness.
    I do applaud your skills to understand the 767 in flight, pre 9/11 with LevelD experience when the Level D was released 4 years after 9/11. Remarkable.
    Good grief, time passing can do funny things to the brain and memories. well then it must have just been plain old default stuff I do recall the holiday and I recall the flight and the experience on the flight deck. In fact it was the last two days of that holiday that I dislocated my shoulder and we flew home on 9/11. It was an early morning flight we got back to Cardiff and I went straight to our hospital to get my shoulder checked after having had it put back in at the resort.

I recall sitting in A and E with my wife and watching the terrible news on TV.

Very sad day.

Great interview Wycliffe. I have always admired your spirit and your 'giving'.
    Cheers,
    Joel

I thank you for your reply.
    I see, I am struggling to remember a default 767 in 'FS2004 a Century of Flight' and 'Microsoft Flight Simulator X'. Perhaps your aircraft knowledge may only be slight and you are just somewhat confused between the default FS2004 Century of Flight Boeing 777-300 that was provided and this looking like a Boeing 767-300. An easy mistake I am sure.

Onwards and upwards within the scenery development nevertheless.

@24rb777 having pondered over this a little more i think I have sorted out my memories enough to rectify my first assertions and clear the air (no pun intended)

Lets look at the facts

The holiday was to Corfu
    England beat Germany 5-1 I believe, Sven was the England Manager
    We flew home on 9/11 (that is almost like a where were you when heard Kennnedy was assassinated)
    Flying with thompson it would have been either a 757 or 737
    I did get to go in the cockpit as my wife tells me I was gone an hour
    I also recognised the PFD and ND and was able to discuss them with the pilot
    Perhaps it was knowledge gleaned from just reading who knows time is a strange beast.
    I've been flying flight simulators for a long time now and the advances are so great from what I first flew its staggering.

Anyway there is the evidence.

All the best

Wycliffe