Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Affinity Mask

Default Affinity Mask

I have a six core processor and have the Affinity Mask=14. I read somewhere you could set it at Affinity Mask=1364 for a six core processor. Can and would this make a difference? Frame rates, graphics and all?
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

2. Default

All depends on whether you have HT( hyperthreading) turned on or turned off in the BIOS.
    For me it got rid of artifacts and flashes. ...I have it on and had it originally set for 14 when it should have been 84. ..soon as I moved it to 84 the sky cleared.
    quad core processor.

I normally run with 14, but tried 84 for grins. still get the ocassional flashing in the sky, but no better or worse than before. I found no obvious differences between the two settings with regards to any visuals or smoothness or FR.
    i7 2720QM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560m w/ 1536MB memory, 8GB memory, Samsung 840 PRO SSD, Windows 7

4. Default

I tried loads of settings and found I could only make things slower, never faster. Makes sense as affinity mask will only stop you from accessing a logical core.

Ie, its purpose is to reserve cpu for another app you are running.

Therefore, why would you want to use it unless you want to run slower?

I know this is an opposite view to everybody else over the years but go prove me wrong!

On my quad core I use 14 (Binary 1110). If I had 6 cores, I would be using 62 (Binary 111110). Not sure if that's right but in each case, FSX should utilize all cores on the given machine other than core 0, which would remain unused by FSX but used to run the operating system and other background processes. This is f course, assuming that hyperthreading is disabled. IAN
    Q9550 @ 3.78 GHz with Gainward GTX570 1.25 Gig DRAM
    4 Gig DDR2 RAM - Windows 7 64 Bit
    FSX SP2
    Resolution 1680 X 1050 X32

Quote Originally Posted by cianpars View Post
    On my quad core I use 14 (Binary 1110). If I had 6 cores, I would be using 62 (Binary 111110). Not sure if that's right but in each case, FSX should utilize all cores on the given machine other than core 0, which would remain unused by FSX but used to run the operating system and other background processes. This is f course, assuming that hyperthreading is disabled. IAN
    Pretty close. The Affinity Mask or setting affinity via Task Manager does not give FSX exclusive use of the selected cores.
    Only preferential treatment. If Windows, or, another running app, do not need the assigned cores they will be available to FSX alone.
    That's why minimizing background apps, and running FSX as the only active user app, gives the best performance...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fxsttcb View Post
    Pretty close. The Affinity Mask or setting affinity via Task Manager does not give FSX exclusive use of the selected cores.
    Only preferential treatment.
    Wrong. It means it will only run on the cores that you have specified in the affinity mask. It doesn't stop anything else running on your selected cores so I think restricted not preferential would be a more accurate description. Don't believe everything you are told (Politics, Religion and fsx tuning tips!)

Quote Originally Posted by davewave View Post
    Wrong. It means it will only run on the cores that you have specified in the affinity mask. It doesn't stop anything else running on your selected cores so I think restricted not preferential would be a more accurate description. Don't believe everything you are told (Politics, Religion and fsx tuning tips!)
    The OP asked if his Affinity Mask interpretation was correct.
    ...If I had 6 cores, I would be using 62 (Binary 111110). Not sure if that's right but in each case, FSX should utilize all cores on the given machine other than core 0, which would remain unused by FSX but used to run the operating system and other background processes...
    IMO, he had already interpreted the basic restriction correctly.
    I only clarified that the remaining cores would not be assigned to FSX exclusively. FSX would only have preference.
    Simply, experience from extensive testing of multiple apps running concurrently.
    I also tried a bunch of Affinity scenarios using Task Manager "Set Affinity" function.

My Best case? Core1(my hottest) for Windows and Background apps, Cores 0, 2, & 3 for FSX. Binary 1101, Decimal 13.
    Not a tuning tip I found on the net...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by usb777 View Post
    I have a six core processor and have the Affinity Mask=14. I read somewhere you could set it at Affinity Mask=1364 for a six core processor. Can and would this make a difference? Frame rates, graphics and all?
    Hi Mike,

I have written an Affinity Mask Calculator http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affini...uItem=hardware and if you look at this page you will see a six core example running. On my system, this made a huge difference in performance. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ted.
    Last edited by tedporter; 11-05-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fxsttcb View Post
    The OP asked if his Affinity Mask interpretation was correct.
    IMO, he had already interpreted the basic restriction correctly.
    I only clarified that the remaining cores would not be assigned to FSX exclusively. FSX would only have preference.
    Simply, experience from extensive testing of multiple apps running concurrently.
    I also tried a bunch of Affinity scenarios using Task Manager "Set Affinity" function.

My Best case? Core1(my hottest) for Windows and Background apps, Cores 0, 2, & 3 for FSX. Binary 1101, Decimal 13.
    Not a tuning tip I found on the net...Don
    How about instead of "experimenting" you actually cite an MSDN article supporting your claim. Experimentation only works when other can repeat your experiment.
    Last edited by alaskancrab; 11-05-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast