Thread: Is it possible to run CFS 1 with later editions of Windows

Default Is it possible to run CFS 1 with later editions of Windows

Back in the day, CFS 1 was my favorite combat flight simulator. I was actually able to find a few copies on Amazon for 10 bucks or so.

Back when I was playing it I was running either Windows 98SE or Windows 2000 Pro, I forget which. I was wondering, since DOS support is virtually non existent on newer versions of Windows. I use XP SP3 now, but I hope to eventually upgrade to 7.

Anybody know if I could run it on an OS this new? Or maybe with Linux using Wine?

I use both CFS and CFS2 on a WinXP computer w/ SP3. Don't install in Program Files, but in a separate Folder on your HDD.

You'll have loads of fun with the sliders all the way to the right!!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen
    i5 M450 2.4/4GB RAM/ATI RADEON 5000HD 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

Many thanks, just ordered me a copy

When and if you do upgrade to Windows 7, make sure you get the Professional or Ultimate versions.

Those two editions have an "XP Emulator" that will allow you to run software that may not work on any Windows versions newer than XP. This is different from the compatibility mode setting.

Thanks for the advice. Now I get to start trolling through the old threads to find useful info.

Default CFS 1 on Linux

In answer to my earlier question about using CFS on Linux, I think the answer is probably yes. Using WINE there are several flight sims that can be flown on Linux. Apparently it is possible to install Direct X under WINE, so theoretically most flight sims should work. I know I saw several sims which work under Ubuntu including IL-2 Sturmavic and FS 2004. X-plane has a Linux native version, as does FlightGear.

7. Default

To answer your question yes, CFS, CFS2 & CFS3 will run on windows 7 Prof 64 bit.. If you plan on using a Logitech Flight controller it will work fine with CFS 2 & CFS3. For CFS 1 (The Original) it will take some tweeking in the combatfs.cfg file in order to make it work. The issue is the last entry for the Joystick settings in the combafs,cfg. (Not the first entry). The game will ask you to change the settings always click no. Or it do some very strange entries in the config file. If you have an issue you can P.M. me and I will be more then glad to help out or do a post. Took me a week to figure it out from reading a number of post on forums. Sidewinder and other controllers do not seam to have the issue.

8. Default

my new pc came with windows 7 home,cfs1 wouldn't run.i installed a second hdd as a slave with xp and installed cfs into the microsoft games folder there.everything works great now.

Easy fix for CFS1 and Win 7......top of page

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Utilities.htm,

Goog luck, Dave