Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I Choose FSX Or FS2004?

Default Should I Choose FSX Or FS2004?

After several years absence from flight simming I have decided to get back into the hobby. The last version I used was 2002 which I really liked because it seemed to not have so many issues and there was a lot of great add ons for weather, scenery building, flight planning etc.

I have been reading through the forums and I am concerned about what new version to purchase. Both FSX and 2004 are available and I plan on purchasing a new computer customized for simming and I can still get Windows 7 which seems to be better than 8 for FS according to what I see discussed in the forums.

I have read through the forums for a couple of weeks now and I am very concerned about the issues of installation and problems with FSX and it makes me want to go with 2004. So my question to all of you is FSX really that problematic and would I be better off with 2004?

Also, are their issues or tips that would be helpful in getting either version up and running smoothly on Windows 7?

Thank you in advance for your help,
    Tom B
    Last edited by Nels_Anderson; 04-19-2013 at 08:30 AM.

With the latest puter technology, my answer would be FSX, but you can't run it good on a weak machine.

FSX is strong and reliable. The only time I've had to reinstall FSX is when a hard drive died a few weeks ago. I've been running FSX since the pre-release beta.

However, FSX is designed for computers which do not exist. There are some good mega-rigs which can run it very well, but if you want to load up your FS world with detailed scenery, tons of AI - FS2004 is a better choice.

The largest source of issues is because people do not understand the difference in Windows security models between XP and Windows Vista/ Win 7.

FS does not understand, nor comply with, those security models either.

For trouble free operations, FS (X or 9) must be installed in a folder outside Program Files.
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

Thank you for the input. Hopefully more will also share their experience.

The computer I am looking at is as follows:
    HP HPE H8-1360T
    Windows 7 Professional
    Intel i7-3770 Quad Core
    3.4ghz 8mb shared
    10gb DDR3 SDRAM Memory
    1 TB 7200 SATA Hard Drive
    2 GB Nvidia GE Force GT630
    600w Power Supply

The reason I like HP is that I have had very good luck with them over the years, support is good, pricing is reasonable and I can get it fairly quick.

I like Dell also. For my business/home computers. Ive purchased many Dell computers. BUT. I Wouldnt consider them for a gaming computer.
    CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.5 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
    MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1866 17900
    MB: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97X

6. Default

I had a Dell Dimension 4600 that I upgraded and practically every part was new except the mother board and gamed the hell out of it. Everything from COD to FS2004 to Ghost Recon.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.
    !M [email protected] B5A9 =G s5FCB *CFA9GHF5B8 5B8 { <5J9 [email protected] <9F9 HC H<9 @=6F5FM

Your computer specs will be fine for running either Fs9 or Fsx natively without payware scenery, aircraft, traffic utilities etc. unless you really compromise on the graphics settings. Even with a 5+ Ghz CPU, compromises have to made with Fsx settings in certain situations. As a general rule, I would never advise anyone to get an off the shelf dedicated Fsx PC because they can't be configured, upgraded, overclocked, etc. Fsx is almost unique in terms of its needs. Its more CPU bound than just about any other program out there. It needs a lot of CPU clock speed. Unless properly configured, it wont take advantage of multiple cores. As for stability, I, like most other simmers had Fsx installed in the default program/files/x86 folder on the same hard drive with all my other programs. I suffered endless crashes/freezes which ruined my experience and almost caused me to give up on Fsx all together. I now have Fsx running the way I always imagined it should. Here are the general settings and tips for a good stable Fsx:

1. Fsx should be installed on its own dedicated hard drive in its own folder created by yourself, not the default program /files/x86 one suggested by the installer.

2. There are config file, and other tweaks that need to be employed. Thankfully, there is freeware out there like Bojote's that can do this for you. Kosta's guide is also a great read. These tweaks will among other things, allow Fsx take advantage of multiple CPU cores and Shift more of the graphics rendering to the GPU.

3 There are several known glitches such as the uai automation core dll version used in Windows 7 that fsx as trouble with and it will cause freezes when right-clicking on menus. All of these patches and fixes are in various guides.

My PC specs are as follows:

CPU I7 3770K OC'd @ 4.5 Ghz
    Mobo Asus Z77 Pro
    GPU NVIDIA EVGA 670 FTW 2Gb
    memory 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866 Mhz
    hard drives 2 Samsung 840 Pro 256 Gb SSD's (solid state drives)
    PSU Corsair enthusiast series 850 watt modular
    Cooling Cooler Master hyper 212 EVO

one more important note: the "K" in the Intel CPU means that it has an unlocked multiplier and allows you to easily overclock it.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by atoryl; 03-21-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tburnett View Post
    Thank you for the input. Hopefully more will also share their experience.

The computer I am looking at is as follows:
    HP HPE H8-1360T
    Windows 7 Professional
    Intel i7-3770 Quad Core
    3.4ghz 8mb shared
    10gb DDR3 SDRAM Memory
    1 TB 7200 SATA Hard Drive
    2 GB Nvidia GE Force GT630
    600w Power Supply

The reason I like HP is that I have had very good luck with them over the years, support is good, pricing is reasonable and I can get it fairly quick.
    As others have noted, "Intel i7-3770" = no "K" no overclocking. Not much of a future for FSX.
    GE Force GT630, good for browsing and word processing. Absolute minimum gaming.

While the HPs, Dells, Acers, etc. are very good "Home" computers, their price, vs performance, is abysmal for FSX.

If you are determined to use that computer, go with FS9. While FSX will run OK, the quality, and Frame rate will suffer greatly vs FS9.

There are Custom Builders that can offer much more "Bang for the Buck". Fast computers with 3 year warranties and lifetime tech support.

Take the $$ you plan on spending and design your own. Start with the kind of case you want.
    Select a Z77 motherboard and i5-3570K, good CPU cooling, fast RAM(8GB is plenty), a Hard Drive that will meet your needs, and a good video card(GTX 650 Ti and up). Windows 7 64bit is preferred. Pro or Ult, if your future needs are over 16GB of RAM.

These sites have various Customizable Desktops that will offer much more performance per $ than the "Big Names" can provide:
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/category/configurator/
    http://www.ibuypower.com/ibppages/CustConfig.aspx
    http://www.xoticpc.com/index.html
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Thanks atoryl and fsxttcb for great input and clarity. If I decide to stay with the HP computer I will probably go with FS9. The yoke, pedals and other flight accessories work with it.

But, I will look at some gaming custom builds.

Thanks again,
    Tom B

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torkermax View Post
    I like Dell also. For my business/home computers. Ive purchased many Dell computers. BUT. I Wouldnt consider them for a gaming computer.
    Really? Mine is great for gaming..( in my sig)... Albeit for FSX, I did have to turn down my settings.

But other games run fine at the highest resolutions.
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast