Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 Running Out Of Memory Running FSX?

Default Windows 8 Running Out Of Memory Running FSX?

Hello to all...I really appreciate this site with all the help I usually get from various flight simmers who love this FSX program as much as I do. But I guess I'm just writing this hoping for some help..but more that that I just hope to vent a little bit here about running FSX within Windows 8. I recently purchased a new Dell system with all the high end things you get. The main reason for this purchase was to end all problems with running FSX in Windows Vista...no real problem ever with windows Vista and FSX..just tweaking frame rates once in awhile and occasional freezing up of FSX. You can imagine how excited I was when my new Dell system with Windows 8 arrived and I loaded FSX with no problem and began flying with amazing results....it was every simmers dream of 40 to 50 fps....beautiful looking ....then one day while flying to Ft. Lauderdale Intl...and lining up for landing on 9L...FSX froze...no problem...I know that happens...so I ended FSX and saw a small window that said..basically..FSX is running out of memory and will shut down. I have been using FS9 and FSX and all previous versions of Flight Simulator since 1995 with 5 different computers..and have never got a message telling me FSX was running out of memory. So I thought ..ok...something screwy happened and restarted FSX and after about 30 minutes...FSX froze again with the same message of running out of memory. I apologize for the length of this post but this memory loss continued everytime I used FSX. So I tried the usual remedy and got on these Forums for help and lo and behold I see others are having the same problem with memory and FSX. So I tried all the remedies listed by all the great people who try and help someone like me and nothing worked. So I can fly for about 30 minutes before I get the dreaded freeze of FSX with the memory message...by the way...I know the memory message is about to happen when I'm flying and take a look at my jet from the chase view (F-11) on the keyboard and I see the skin of the plane is black. So with all the tweaking of the display..graphics...virtual memory adjustments...etc...FSX still freezes along with the running out of memory message. I realize it's probably hopeless to fix this problem but I'm just so mad at myself and frustrated because I have the latest and greatest Dell computer with plenty of memory ...HUGE HD...with the latest video card....I just want to warn everyone who is thinking of purchasing a new super high end computer to be aware and expect it not to run FSX like you think it will. So maybe someday..someone on these forums will find a solution to this memory problem within Windows 8. Like I said...FSX looks and runs great within Windows 8 up to 30 or 40 minutes before FSX crashes because of memory problems.I will continue to check this forum regularly for any update. Thank you all for reading this lengthy post.
    Last edited by Nels_Anderson; 03-12-2013 at 02:42 PM.

I don't use windows 8 I'm using windows 7 but I had those annoying running out of memory messages and I use three screens which on my setup was causing the problem. Now I know a lot of people suggest better results with Direct10 turned off but for me it was a life saver, if I turn it off I don't get to fly more than ten minutes with it on I can go weeks without any crashes or out of memory problems.
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3. Graphics 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 .... 4 X DELL 1920 x 1080 res screens. 1 TByte SSD + 2TByte internal SATA drive +8 TByte External Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA) Backups

Very informative. Yet some still wonder why many of us are still flying FS9 after the initial blush of FSX wore off. :-)

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wji View Post
    Very informative. Yet some still wonder why many of us are still flying FS9 after the initial blush of FSX wore off. :-)
    Funny you should mention that. I have recently been taking a second look at FS9. I have seen some videos at YouTube of FS9 obviously running some serious addons and have been very impressed.

Tim
    Thank you,
    Tim

ASUS CG8350; Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz/3.8 GHz Boost; 8 GB DDR3 Memory; System BUS 1350 MHz; 8 MB L3 cache;
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560Ti 1GB GDDR5; Windows 7 Home Premium x64; Thermaltake 850-Watt Power Supply

Google "OOM error" for info. In the meantime try turning your settings down. Also, posting your system specs would help those who are trying to help you.
    Bruce
    [email protected] 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

Quote Originally Posted by tank73 View Post

snip--------------

So maybe someday..someone on these forums will find a solution to this memory problem within Windows 8. Like I said...FSX looks and runs great within Windows 8 up to 30 or 40 minutes before FSX crashes because of memory problems.I will continue to check this forum regularly for any update. Thank you all for reading this lengthy post.
    You are aware that Windows 8 is primarily a Tablet OS. Most highend gaming computers will not install it since it lacks the power to manage a Desktop and the highend games we run.

Hello Bruce...thanks for your comment...about trying to help but I was just venting some anger at myself for not researching FSX on newer windows programs...don't want to bother you with this because I've tried many fixes and my point was ..with such a new high end system I have...there should be no problem running any program...including FSX...wishful thinking I guess....I did read that installing FSX acceleration along with FSX does boost the memory used by FSX from 2mb to 4mb...something like that.....maybe that's the answer....thank you again

8. Default

I can confirm that I have FSX with Acceleration running on Windows 8 and have no problems
    Adam J
    Flight Simulator X Gold Edition (REX Essentials +)
    HP 2311xi 1920x1080, Windows 8 64 bit, i5 3450 @3.5 Ghz, GTX 650 Ti 2GB GDDR5, 8GB DDR3-1600

Thanks again to all who have tried to help. You guys that offer help are the best. Hopefully someone who has the same trouble will read these posts. I am happy to say that I have installed FSX acceleration and so far am getting no messages and FSX crashing about "Running out of Memory"....I did read somewhere... the installation of Acceleration will increase FSX usage of memory from 2mb to 4mb...so that appears to be the remedy to this Windows 8 and FSX running out of memory. Thanks again to all for your help

Quote Originally Posted by jvile View Post
    You are aware that Windows 8 is primarily a Tablet OS. Most highend gaming computers will not install it since it lacks the power to manage a Desktop and the highend games we run.
    Yes, the new start screen interface is aimed at touch screens and tablets, but that doesn't mean the OS is any less capable. Underneath it is just as, if not more, powerful than Windows 7. I've been running other demanding games on it just fine. Install one of the start menu replacements and you don't even need to deal with the tablet interface part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast