Thread: Removing items from FSX cfg files

Default Removing items from FSX cfg files

For the first time in about a year I had a look in the FSX cfg. files.

What I didn't realize is that when you delete a freeware plane from the regular SimObjects/ airplanes files, it does not
    remove them from the SimObjects catagory in the FSX cfg. files. There must be at least 15 planes listed that I no longer
    have.

There are also about 50 items listed under "Trusted Gauges" for freeware planes that were deleted long ago.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't delete all these things?

What would be the correct way to delete the "Trusted Gauges"? Start at the end of each line and hit backspace until
    the whole line is gone?

Word of advice. Backup you FSX.cfg before doing anything. It wont hurt to delete them in whatever manner you feel comfortable, backspace delete. highlight delete etc.
    CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.5 ghz, GPU and CPU water cooled
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970
    MEM: Gskill Rippjaw 1866 17900
    MB: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97X

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rudyjo View Post
    What would be the correct way to delete the "Trusted Gauges"? Start at the end of each line and hit backspace until the whole line is gone?
    Put your cursor on the end of the line and press Shift+Home, delete - or put your cursor at the end of the line above and press Shift +down arrow then End followed by delete.

Jim

Thanks guys.
    To make sure I back up the FSX cfg, files correctly, what is the simplest way to do it and how do you go about putting everything back in
    in case something accidentally got deleted?

Jim.... for helping people here on the forums, you are working your way back up the ladder toward getting preferential treatment again!

5. Default

I'd just copy the current fsx.cfg onto the desktop or somewhere then if you screw something up you can just move it back in overwriting the screwed up one.

Quote Originally Posted by rudyjo View Post
    Jim.... for helping people here on the forums, you are working your way back up the ladder toward getting preferential treatment again!
    Lol, another 10 yrs oughta do it then?
    Last edited by Jim Robinson; 02-26-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Got all the freeware plane files deleted from the cfg. files
    Deleted all the Trusted Gauges also, everything is working fine.
    I noticed that besides the actual cfg. file, there is also a copy of the cfg. file which still has all the old Trusted gauges still showing.
    I did not put that copy there, so I assume that it is something that automatically gets put there.

I'll leave it there for awhile, if I have no problems for a week or so, I'll go through the copy and delete all the unwanted trusted gauges
    files.

Jim.... for your helpful information, I'm going to put in a good word about you , maybe we can knock some time off so it doesn't take
    10 years to get back to where you were before you changed your avatar.