Thread: Logitech g27 rudder pedals

1. Default Logitech g27 rudder pedals

I'm considering buying a Logitech g27 wheel setup in a little while, for some of the racing games I play.

But, I was wondering, if the pedals that come with the g27 (a full 3 pedal setup) could also be substituted as rudder pedals for fsx (using the 2 outside pedals - clutch and accelerator)

Cheers guys

2. Default

My first guess would have been no, since the pedals would be on different axes from each other. But curiosity got the better of me, and I hooked up a Logitech Driving Force Pro to my computer and fired up FSX. To my surprise the pedals worked fine, except they controlled the elevator instead of the rudder. I remapped the axis in the settings and the pedals now operated the elevator. The wheel itself controlled the ailerons; that part wasn't a surprise. No I didn't try pressing both pedals at the same time to see what would happen; it didn't occur to me until after I'd disconnected it.

Now that's a DFP not a G27, but there you have it. Note the DFP only has two pedals by the way.

3. Default

There are a few options.

The G27 can use the brake and throttle as one combined axis. But the brake is in the middle.
    If you swap the wires between the brake and the clutch you can combine the clutch and the throttle.
    Keep in mind that the clutchpedal will now be named brake and vice versa.

Another option is to use Glovepie and PPjoy to combine the clutch and throttle into a virtual axis.

A third option is to physically connect the throttle and clutch to eachother so that they move opposite eachother, like a real rudder.
    You then map the rudder to either the throttle or clutch while the other one has no function.

Yes it can be done, I have my g27 working as rudder on the outside pedals and it is fine for racing also.
    All you have to do is to swap the brake pot wires with the clutch and use them as "combined" axis for flight and "separate" (on game controlers settings) for racing+assign brake and clutch pedals within the game .

5. Default

Thanks for the responses guys

However, If I'm spending $300 on it, I'm not gonna be wanting to dice & splice the wires as soon as I unbox it.....lol

can the pedals be programmed as a "return" style command, much like the control surface axes, so that they return to normal once pressure is released, and, like the default key commands, have 1 input for each direction?

6. Default

Depends on what you want.

When the brake and throttle are combined the resulting axis works like this:
    The combined axis goes from -1 to 1 with 0 being neutral.
    When not pressed the brake and throttle read 0. 0 + 0 = 0
    When the brake is pressed it reads -1. -1 + 0 = -1
    When the throttle is pressed it reads 1. 0 + 1 = 1
    When both are pressed they read -1 and 1. -1 + 1 = 0

If you go with the Glovepie/Ppjoy option then you can program it anyway you like.

Quote Originally Posted by elindok View Post
    Yes it can be done, I have my g27 working as rudder on the outside pedals and it is fine for racing also.
    All you have to do is to swap the brake pot wires with the clutch and use them as "combined" axis for flight and "separate" (on game controlers settings) for racing+assign brake and clutch pedals within the game .

Hi! I have this problem too. So you mean that I just put the brake pedal wire into clutch pedal and the clutch wire into brake pedal. Did I understand correctly? Also what do you mean with the combined axis. Do you have to enable it somewhere? And is that all you have to do?

8. Default

I am using Logitech G27 and Logitech Attack 3,,and YES the pedals can be used as a rudder pedals, although it is using the breaks and accelerator instead of clutch.

All you have to do is plug in the USB and map the pedal as a rudder in FSX Controller option,