Thread: separate vatsim comm sounds through headset fsx sounds-speakers

Default separate vatsim comm sounds through headset fsx sounds-speakers

I have read U can do this with a duel channel sound card or by using a USB headset, but I know for a 99% fact that I used to do this with my same hardware setup that I have now. I have sense reinstall FSX and windows 7

GA-MA790x-UD4P motherboard (ATI realtek on board sound card) I have front and back panel audio.

I cant remember if I was still using squawk box at the time or if I had switched to FSINN but as I remember it I had my headset plugged into the front panel audio and I was getting only the VATSIM com through the headset and the FSX sounds through the speakers. I cant remember how I got it to work though lol anyone know?

Go to Control Panel/Sound. You can configure your speakers and headphones here. Then select the same devices in the Fsx Sound option.
    Bruce
    [email protected] 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

I posted a step-by-step for this on a few occasions in the past.
    Here it is again:

To get ATC on a headset (or a separate speaker system) connected to your on-board mobo sound output while all other FSX sound comes from speakers connected to a separate sound card, here's how if running FSX under Windows 7:

1 - Make sure your motherboard audio is not turned off in the BIOS Integrated Peripherals section (generally, all you need do is set it to Auto).
    2 - Open the Windows Control Panel and go to Hardware and Sound.
    3 - In the Sound section, click Manage audio devices.
    4 - Click the Playback tab, right click on any item in the list and click Show Disabled Devices (this is to make sure all audio devices show up in the list).
    5 - Find your sound card in the list and if it is not shown as being the default audio device, click to highlight it, click the Set Default button and set it as the default device.
    6 - Find your motherboard sound in the list (generally shown as "Speakers - High Definition Audio Device").
    7 - Click to highlight it, click the Set Default button and set it as the Default Communication Device.
    8 - With the motherboard sound item still highlighted, click Properties and select the Levels tab. Drag the slider to set the level. Suggest you try it at 50. You can always adjust it later if necessary. With the level set, click OK to exit.
    10 - Click the Communications tab. Here you can select what happens to the main sound when ATC speaks. Set it to your preference. My preference is "Do nothing". Once you've made your choice, click Apply and then OK to exit.
    11 - Exit the Windows Control Panel and launch FSX.
    12 - Click settings and in the "Other settings" area click Sound.
    13 - In the Windows sound devices section, select your main speakers for "Sounds" and for "Voice" select "Default Voice Device".
    14 - Click OK to exit the Sound settings and click OK again to exit the main Settings screen. Not sure it is necessary, but after making settings changes, I always exit FSX and restart it.

After all of that, you should now have your main FSX sound coming from your separate sound card and ATC coming from your on-board sound.
    Intel i7 [email protected] / Swiftech X3 / Gigabyte Aorus 7 Gaming / 16 GB G.Skill DDR4 3200
    500GB WD SSD (Win 10 Pro 64-bit) / 500GB Samsung 960 Pro (P3Dv4) / 240GB SanDisk SSD (P3D Misc.)
    480GB SanDisk SSD (General Storage) / EVGA GTX1080/ Seasonic Platinum 850 watt

My setup , setup in control panel, works fine without a separate sound card.
    Bruce
    [email protected] 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"