Thread: Crashes, crashes, time for a restore?

Default Crashes, crashes, time for a restore?

Been running FS9 for about five years on a Visa platform; HP Pavilian Elite, Q6600 ; Nvid 8500 GT. Lately I've been getting more and more crashes. I do have many, many addons both planes and scenery as well as utilities. This computer is used 99.5 percent for flight sim only and I'm a stickler for running a "clean" system; no antivirus on, all background programs shut down. I use defrag regularly, cach file cleaner, clean the prefitch, ect. Lately, I've been getting crashes more frequenty; usually when switching planes or loaded flights. I know there must be tons of junk on this system after all the use its had over the years. My question is, when is it time to actually wipe clean and re-do? Also, how difficult would it be to replace Vista system with Xp ( I have disks ). Any input would be appreciated.

There is no reason in theory why you should not install XP. However, when I tried to install it on my ,then, new Intel i5 system it wouldn't take it. Recently, I discovered that I needed to change something in the BIOS before doing the install.

If you've been running FS9 for five years continually on your HP then a clean re-install would probably be a good idea

David

Thanks, which system were you trying to replace in your i5? I love XP and use it for my business and personal computers but it is getting harder to find any systems with xp

My previous system was an Intel Quad Core.

I should point out that I put my hardware together myself - I don't buy ready made machines. You certainly won't find any "ready to run" system with XP installed on it.

David

There are a number of "re-furbished" XP systems, Ive bought a couple for my business and personal. Not sure if these would run FS well enough though. Also, I do have installation disks for XP Pro. Maybe Ill install on one of those and see what I get!

Quote Originally Posted by Brushstrokes View Post
    There are a number of "re-furbished" XP systems, Ive bought a couple for my business and personal. Not sure if these would run FS well enough though. Also, I do have installation disks for XP Pro. Maybe Ill install on one of those and see what I get!
    To have a clean copy of FSX I installed it on an old laptop I got for free with XP Pro on it. I loaded FSX into the default program file position and it failed to load and I noticed Prgram Files seem to be protected and I could not access. I just redid the install to C:/FSX and all was well!
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2