Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liege (Belgium) glidescope ILS not working.

Default Liege (Belgium) glidescope ILS not working.

Hi

I fly to airports using the glidescope and they work great, but everytime I try to fly to Liege (my stop off flight on the way to Amsterdam from Southern Germany) the Nav 1 morse code kicks in and the ATC go through the ILS procedure with me but it never catches the scope and I have to turn the autopilot off and fly it myself. Does anyone else have this problem with Liege or any other airports? Any ideas what to do to correct the error? I even tried the missed approach with ATC and they had me on a holding course then had me turning all over the place with no resolution.

Thanks

Steve

What runway do you land on. Had a quick look a Liege airport chart and all runways except 05L have ILS. If you're directed to 05L you can intercept a localizer, but you will not be able to do an ILS landing.

Harro

EBLG - Liege - has the same ILS frequency on Rwy 05R & 23L - 109.350

If you are assigned to 23L you might encounter the 'back course' issue.

Which ILS does the Morse Code say you have captured - IHH or ILG ?

If you are landing on 23L - and the Morse Code is IHH - you have captured the back course for the other runway - that will align your with Rwy 23 if your aircraft is setup for a Back Course approach. It will not give you any descent information.

There are two ways to avoid this issue.

One is to setup the airport like the real world by disabling the back course on both ends of the runway ILS. You need Airport Design Editor (if you have FSX Deluxe with the SDK installed) or payware AFX to make those airport property changes.

The second is to continue flying toward the ILS beacon and when you are near aligned with the direct runway heading, the Morse Code should change to ILG - at that point and not before, you can engage the APP mode on the autopilot.

(This is alot easier if you have a HSI like the default King Air which will display the ID code of the ILS you are capturing.)
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

As Reggie noted another issue may be that all 3 available ILS approaches use the exact same frequency, 109.350MHz.
    No matter what I did, I could not get my VOR 1 to recognize 109.350MHz as anything except IHH ILS 5R...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Quote Originally Posted by flightplanes View Post
    Hi

I fly to airports using the glidescope and they work great, but everytime I try to fly to Liege (my stop off flight on the way to Amsterdam from Southern Germany) the Nav 1 morse code kicks in and the ATC go through the ILS procedure with me but it never catches the scope and I have to turn the autopilot off and fly it myself. Does anyone else have this problem with Liege or any other airports? Any ideas what to do to correct the error? I even tried the missed approach with ATC and they had me on a holding course then had me turning all over the place with no resolution.

Thanks

Steve
    FS does not understand 2 Localizers on 2 different runways (within 30 NM's) that have the same Localizer frequency. This is the problem with EBLG.

I suggest changing ILSDME 23R to 109.30. Also uncheck the Enable Back Course box on both localizers for 5R and 23L runways.

ADE9X will do all this for you.

Thanks guys.. so its not just me having the issue with EBLG then!! phew!!

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieF5421 View Post
    EBLG - Liege - has the same ILS frequency on Rwy 05R & 23L - 109.350

If you are assigned to 23L you might encounter the 'back course' issue.

Which ILS does the Morse Code say you have captured - IHH or ILG ?

If you are landing on 23L - and the Morse Code is IHH - you have captured the back course for the other runway - that will align your with Rwy 23 if your aircraft is setup for a Back Course approach. It will not give you any descent information.

There are two ways to avoid this issue.

One is to setup the airport like the real world by disabling the back course on both ends of the runway ILS. You need Airport Design Editor (if you have FSX Deluxe with the SDK installed) or payware AFX to make those airport property changes.

The second is to continue flying toward the ILS beacon and when you are near aligned with the direct runway heading, the Morse Code should change to ILG - at that point and not before, you can engage the APP mode on the autopilot.

(This is alot easier if you have a HSI like the default King Air which will display the ID code of the ILS you are capturing.)
    Hi Reggie, as a newbie I don't understand the IHH OR ILG. I'll look it up on youtube!

I was directed to runway 23L the first time and 23R the second time. Maybe doing what Jvile said and changing the one frequency will do it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by djadlib View Post
    What runway do you land on. Had a quick look a Liege airport chart and all runways except 05L have ILS. If you're directed to 05L you can intercept a localizer, but you will not be able to do an ILS landing.

Harro
    Runway 23L and then 23R

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by flightplanes View Post
    I don't understand the IHH OR ILG.
    Each ILS and VOR in the world has a unique identifier code. For the two ILS on 109.350 on Rwy 05R/23L at EBLG - those identifiers are IHH and ILG.

The morse code you hear on that frequency is there to allow the pilot to confirm which localizer they have turned into. We are supposed to recognize the letters of the morse code as pilots, and we are supposed to know which is the correct code for our landing runway, and the other codes for the airport so we can tell if we have the wrong frequency or localizer.

Attached is a quick file I have done with ADE of EBLG for you. This is the default FSX airport. No added parking or any other changes. I have disabled the back course on all three ILS, and I have moved the Rwy 23R frequency to 109.300.

The attached file is listed as a .TXT file. Rename the file and change the .TXT to .BGL. Place the file in your \Addon Scenery\Scenery folder - make sure that is an active scenery folder. Try your flight then.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

Wow thanks... I'll give it a go!

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast