Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FSX/P3D Software and Hardware Tweaking Guide

Kapitan,
    Now that is really weird.
    With long hauls, it's quite clear it crashes, if it gets too hot. Did you ever measure the CPU temperatures while running Prime95?
    I forgot: what is your CPU and how many cores do you see in your task manage?
    The intermittent spinning noise is actually funny, because FSX should be loading the CPU quite well, so the cooling should be working all the time. Maybe look into BIOS if there is a setting to set the sensitivity of the CPU cooler?

Blog Entries

Kosta,
    My CPU is AMD Phenom II Black x 4 965 3.4ghz (this is said to be compared to Intel i5) 8mb ram GPU Nvidia GTX 550ti, I see the 4 cores in Task Manager.

I use FSX since 2006, Until 2011 I had a 2 core slower intel processor. Its true that settings couldnt be maxed and fps was slower in ense arival areas, but the processor never spinned with such furor. What is bothersome is the noise.

Temperatures are stable, right now as I right Core0 is 63, when running FSX it spins and can go up to 70 or 72. Unfortunately I was not monitoring temp when it quits in long hauls, it just turned off and I no way to know what temp it was.

My affinitymask is at 14. No other programs running while fsx is on, Im good at this, My install is very clean and I dont let unnecessary process running in task manager.

Temperature here in Brazil is around 28 to 30. I remember in colder days in winter when it was 15 it didnt spin as much.
    Anyway this spinning only happens with fsx or when converting videos.

Regards
    Kap
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Blog Entries

Kosta,
    Here are 2 pictures, first with fsx off, then fsx on
    Do you see anything abnormal? Why is core 3 and 4 at 100% ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no-fsx.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	142880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fsx-on.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	142881  
    Kapitan

Temperatures are stable, right now as I right Core0 is 63,
    If the CPU temperatures are above 60C when the computer is basically idle, there is a cooling problem with the system. At idle, the CPU should be in the 40-50C range. The max safe temperature for Phenom II CPUs is around 70C. You may want to start a new thread in the hardware forum to get this sorted out. Probably need to look into how well the CPU heatsink is mounted, the number and setup of the case cooling fans, and possibly the BIOS fan control settings

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/ind...PUtemperatures

but the processor never spinned with such furor. What is bothersome is the noise.

This is the CPU fan trying desperately to keep the CPU cool. The best way to fix this is sorting out the hardware side.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    If the CPU temperatures are above 60C when the computer is basically idle, there is a cooling problem with the system. At idle, the CPU should be in the 40-50C range. The max safe temperature for Phenom II CPUs is around 70C. You may want to start a new thread in the hardware forum to get this sorted out. Probably need to look into how well the CPU heatsink is mounted, the number and setup of the case cooling fans, and possibly the BIOS fan control settings

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/ind...PUtemperatures

This is the CPU fan trying desperately to keep the CPU cool. The best way to fix this is sorting out the hardware side.[/COLOR]
    Thanks Loki.
    OK. will open a thread and look at cooling hardware.

Edit> Just restarted and went to BIOS. Temp target was at 60 C, and minimum fan speed was at 0 zero.
    I changed it to tem target 50 C and minimum fan speed 50%
    Now temp at idle is at 52 C. But fan is working at slow speed all the time.
    Is this target ok?

regards
    K
    Last edited by Kapitan; 02-15-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Kapitan

Quote Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post

Thanks Loki.
    OK. will open a thread and look at cooling hardware.

Edit> Just restarted and went to BIOS. Temp target was at 60 C, and minimum fan speed was at 0 zero.
    I changed it to tem target 50 C and minimum fan speed 50%
    Now temp at idle is at 52 C. But fan is working at slow speed all the time.
    Is this target ok?

regards
    K
    That is much better. The CPU fan should always be running.

Is there an option in the BIOS for AMD Cool'N'Quiet (or something similar)? This allows for better control of the CPU fan.

What's the ambient room temperature? Unless the room is quite warm, the CPU idle temp should be lower still.

Glad to see you here Kosta

Thanks flens.
    Glad you joined!

Kapitan,
    I see the problem has been solved or at least half-solved As noted, you need better sensitivity for your CPU fan. Other than that, 3rd party CPU fans from Noctua are really more silent and cooling usually way better. 30c outside temp doesn't really help, so here a watercooling solution might work better, but even 3rd party like Noctua might help quite a lot. And they are usually not as loud!

Can anyone offer tips on how to tweak my FSX settings for optimal performance? Thanks!
    Dell Precision 380
    Intel Pentium 4 with hyperthreading at 3.6gHz
    5GB RAM
    nvidia geforce GT620 1GB video card

Quote Originally Posted by carmelohern View Post
    Can anyone offer tips on how to tweak my FSX settings for optimal performance? Thanks!
    With your older Pentium, the link in post #3 will be a good start. Then try the tweaks from the link in post #1. One change at a time...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast