Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FSX/P3D Software and Hardware Tweaking Guide

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
    Hi Phil,
    Most likely not, because my photoscenery is working as great as everything else, and there simply is no need for something like that. If you check the screenshots on my blog, you will see what I'm talking about.
    OK Kosta, thanks,
    I'm surprised by your answer that in so much as you seem to suggest that one size fits all. I would have expected to use a different set-up for a heavy texture based flight to that for a photoscenery flight that uses no textures?

Thanks for your help
    Phil

Phil,
    Yes, in this case, on size fits them all. The configuration is optimized for one type of the computer, making FSX run optimally on it, no matter what you load - that is the final idea.
    I could probably optimize this or that better for each scenario. But with today's 10k drives and SSDs, quad-core CPUs and fast RAMs, this all becomes a non-issue.
    And no flight uses no textures.

I just spent some time reading the most comprehensive Software and Hardware Guide for FSX that I have seen to date.

It was compiled by Paul Johnson,(Avsim) a couple of weeks ago(1-22-13), and acknowledges the following Masters of the FSX Black Art:

Jesus “Bojote” Altuve, Nick "Nick N" Needham, Ryan “Tabs” Maziarz, Bill "Fr.Bill" Leaming, David
    "OPA" Marshal(RIP), Holger "Genius" Sandmann, Pete "FSUIPC" Dowson, Mike McCarthy, Michael
    "FS-GS" Greenblatt, Phil "Aces" Taylor, Srdan "Kosta" Kostic, Steve "DX10" Parsons.

I'm sure you will recognise most of those names.

Please respect the wishes of the author and DO NOT distribute copies. It is, as noted, a Living Document, subject to future revision...Don

http://forum.avsim.net/fsx_guide.pdf
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Kapitan,
    I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle...
    You shouldn't be bringing settings down to cool your CPU, you should rather look into proper cooling for your CPU.
    What FSX is apparently doing it milking your CPU down to the last straw of breath, which is great actually. But if your CPU is overheating, there is something wrong with the cooling - you should test your CPU with some external tools, like Prime95/OCCT, and monitoring the temperature. If it climbs too high, and since you have no overclock, you should really look into it.
    If your computer turns off, it basically overheated and CPU sends a shutdown command (on the Intel well over 95c). I don't know about AMD, but I tend to go not over 85c on the Intel when doing hard overclocking. My FSX won't push the CPU beyond 75c.

Don, I have seen the document, yeah. I have no intentions diving into that, as it defeats the purpose of tweaking. I would recommend it for some parts, but not as a whole.
    Last edited by Kosta; 02-06-2013 at 02:02 AM.

6. Default

This might be what I'm looking for

Just recently upgraded the old PC to 8 core AMd @4Ghz. new Asus Sabertooth mobo, 32 Gig quad pack of DDR3 Muskin Redline, Asus Geforce 550GTX TI

FSX runs crazy fast fps but still micro stutters, and occasional burps.

OS is windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Been a long time since I flew FSX, mainly do to OS upgrade 2 years ago after a hard drive went bad. I basically gave up when the fatal errors crashed me to desktop. Oh, I'm running FSX Deluxe with FSX Accelerator. I'm confused about any service packs....didn't download or install any....Should I?

Now I have a good rig, and want to fly stutter free. Will try your tweaks.

Haven't tied changing the CFG yet, just toying with sliders and the result is zero impact on stutters. You seem to know what you are talking about with CFG tweaks and I was very hesitant to go there before I researched the subject some.

Thank You!

7. Default

After upgrading my PC (It's an all-in-one HP Envy 23. Has dual core AMD 3.4 with radeon graphics. 6MB memory and Windows 8) I tried all ways to install FSX, even purchasing a new Gold version. I couldn't get the windows installer to install either from the DVD or the website for demo. Tried every tech in the book. Tried X-plane 10, it worked, but couldn't get mu SaitekX-45 to work. Got prepar3d for $200it installed, but same thing, even with updated drivers, my X45 wouldn't work properly, neither would a loaned CH yoke. Now I've given up and installed FS9. It works like a charm. I always did like it over FSX anyway. Problem is I can't get add ons to install using their installers. Neither can I edit config files. Never mind, at least my Cirrus 20 works well enough to pracise with the GNS 430.

Quote Originally Posted by MudWasp47 View Post
    Oh, I'm running FSX Deluxe with FSX Accelerator. I'm confused about any service packs....didn't download or install any....Should I?
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think with Acceleration you have all the service packs you need, including SP2.

Quote Originally Posted by logjam2650 View Post
    After upgrading my PC (It's an all-in-one HP Envy 23. Has dual core AMD 3.4 with radeon graphics. 6MB memory and Windows 8) I tried all ways to install FSX, even purchasing a new Gold version. I couldn't get the windows installer to install either from the DVD or the website for demo. Tried every tech in the book. Tried X-plane 10, it worked, but couldn't get mu SaitekX-45 to work. Got prepar3d for $200it installed, but same thing, even with updated drivers, my X45 wouldn't work properly, neither would a loaned CH yoke. Now I've given up and installed FS9. It works like a charm. I always did like it over FSX anyway. Problem is I can't get add ons to install using their installers. Neither can I edit config files. Never mind, at least my Cirrus 20 works well enough to pracise with the GNS 430.
    Hmm, those are really weird problems. Seems like your hardware is not being recognized and something is wrong in the windows too.
    You should start troubleshooting there and not FSX really.
    In such cases it is not the worst idea to install Windows clean and start from there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
    Kapitan,
    I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle...
    You shouldn't be bringing settings down to cool your CPU, you should rather look into proper cooling for your CPU.
    What FSX is apparently doing it milking your CPU down to the last straw of breath, which is great actually. But if your CPU is overheating, there is something wrong with the cooling - you should test your CPU with some external tools, like Prime95/OCCT, and monitoring the temperature. If it climbs too high, and since you have no overclock, you should really look into it.
    If your computer turns off, it basically overheated and CPU sends a shutdown command (on the Intel well over 95c). I don't know about AMD, but I tend to go not over 85c on the Intel when doing hard overclocking. My FSX won't push the CPU beyond 75c.
    Thanks for your atention, I will look into better cooling resources. The temperature turn off happens sometimes on long haul flights.
    I have affinitymask set at 14 but my cpu makes intermittent spinning noise hard during most fsx flight, which I find it strange because with my older two core cpu, didnt.
    K
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast