FSX/P3D Software and Hardware Tweaking Guide

Kosta

Thanks Loki.

OK. will open a thread and look at cooling hardware.

Edit> Just restarted and went to BIOS. Temp target was at 60 C, and minimum fan speed was at 0 zero.

I changed it to tem target 50 C and minimum fan speed 50%

Now temp at idle is at 52 C. But fan is working at slow speed all the time.

Is this target ok?

regards

K

That is much better. The CPU fan should always be running.

Is there an option in the BIOS for AMD Cool'N'Quiet (or something similar)? This allows for better control of the CPU fan.

What's the ambient room temperature? Unless the room is quite warm, the CPU idle temp should be lower still.

Thanks flens.

Glad you joined!

Kapitan,

I see the problem has been solved or at least half-solved :) As noted, you need better sensitivity for your CPU fan. Other than that, 3rd party CPU fans from Noctua are really more silent and cooling usually way better. 30c outside temp doesn't really help, so here a watercooling solution might work better, but even 3rd party like Noctua might help quite a lot. And they are usually not as loud!

Can anyone offer tips on how to tweak my FSX settings for optimal performance? Thanks!
With your older Pentium, the link in post #3 will be a good start. Then try the tweaks from the link in post #1. One change at a time...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Hi Kosta!

I will put together a new rig next week and I have a couple of questions? First of all here is the parts on order:

1 st CM Storm Trooper Gaming Big Tower

1 st Corsair CX 500W PSU

1 st Intel® LGA1155 Core i7-3770

1 st MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155

1 st Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1600Mhz 16GB KIT

1 st MSI GeForce GTX660 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E

1 st Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 128GB

1 st OEM DVD-RW

And here is the questions:

1. Is a 500w psu to weak? I´m not interested in overclocking (I have never overcklocked and I think the 3770 is locked)

2. I have w7 and w8 witch one to run p3d on?

3. Do I need to install both fsx and p3d to be able to use addons I have for FSX in P3D? (of course only addons not restricted of any EULA)

4. I will use the SSD to win and I need a god HDD for the SIM any god brands not to expensive you can recommend?

Best regards

Patrik S

Hi Patrik,

1. For non-oc machine, 500w is enough, yes

2. W7

3. Not neccessary. Use estonia migrator for those that don't have p3d installer. (of course!)

4. I would say 256GB SSD for FSX, but if you can't afford, then WD black or the VRap

Well, to run FSX optimally, you run it off the SSD.

If you need 1TB disk for data or whatever, that is up to you!

Mind though that SSD should not be filled. Up to 90% I believe is OK.

Hello again!

Any idea about the TITAN series g-card? (Performing in fsx/p3d?) I saw they are in stock in Norway and Sweden in a couple of days and seems to blow away anything up to date ever produced (including the price tag €900 ;-)):

GPU : GeForce GTX TITAN, 2688 cores, 28nm, GK110

GPU Clockspeed : 876 MHz (boost) / 837 MHz (base)

Memory : 6144MB GDDR5 (384 bit)

Memory Clockspeed : 6.0 Gbps

rgds

Patrik

When I promoted this to "Stickie" status, the intent was to provide members with quick links to various tweaking methods and guides.

It has now become more of a general hardware discussion. My fault too.

I think "member specific" questions should be seperate threads in the proper forums. To preserve the original intent, Locked, it is...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

• 5 months later...

Nick Needham's new "UNDER CONSTRUCTION" FSX Bible is available here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

As noted before: Kosta's Guide; http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

They are both very good sources, but, Kosta's is an easier read, and may get your tweaking done sooner...Don