Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Profile: Slylab

Default Pilot Profile: Slylab

Okay.....here's MY story:

1st flight early 1950's on a Capital Airlines DC-3 from Traverse City, Michigan to Chicago Midway. It was early June and I think they flew through EVER T-storm there was enroute !! Anyway, scared the you know what out of me and I swore I'd NEVER fly again ! Next flight was a couple of years later on an Eastern DC-7 from Nashville to Chicago. Nice smooth flight. Still wasn't convinced that this was the way to travel. Next flight was from Travis AFB to Honolulu [courtesy of the U.S. Army] on a MATS Stratocruiser [C-97 ?]. Again, not too bad, but not sold yet ! Then they put me on a Navy MATS Connie [C-???] to Japan via a couple stops in the Pacific. Not too bad. THEN, they put me on an Air Force C-124. They used EVER inch of runway taking off. I was sure they weren't gonna make it. It seemed WAAAY overloaded to me with troops AND a TANK aboard. Well, we made it but I was glad they sent me home on a BOAT after my tour in Korea was over.

Again, I thought my flying days were OVER. But, a year or so later, a friend of mine [who already had a license] convinced me to go for a ride with him in a Piper Apache. Don't know why, but I agreed. Once in flight he said: "Here, wanna 'drive' ?" I took the controls and at THAT moment decided I was gonna be an airline pilot. I was going to the University at the time and started cutting classes and taking lessons. I finally just quit school [much to my Father's dismay !] and spent full time getting my licenses. I got a job at a fixed bass operator flying charter and when I had sufficient time [1500 hours], I applied to the airlines and the rest, as they say, is history. Just over 26 years later after nearly 15,000 hours, I retired [over 20 years ago].

To this day, I have NOT set foot aboard any flying machine and NEVER intend to. I never had any trouble flying, but don't like the way the industry/aircraft is/are going these days.

As to some of the ?? above:
    Aircraft flown list would be too long to put here. Many private types, singles and twins, but only Connies, DC-6/7, B-737, and DC-8 airline-wise.
    Never owned an airplane.
    Some fotos are already on my profile page.

That's about it. Don't really miss flying the real things. Still mess with FS once on awhile.
    Last edited by Nels_Anderson; 12-24-2012 at 07:53 PM.
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

The ONLY airplane ride I can ever recall as a child was a flight on an Eastern Super Connie from Ft. Lauderdale to Logan in Boston. And to this day, I admire that old airplane. There is a group of aviation buffs down here in Central Florida that is restoring one, N974R, led by a guy named Maurice Roundy, who has done this his whole life. (Here's his story) The plane was parked at Orlando/Sanford (KSFB) until the authorities told him it had to be moved. It now sits at Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, FL, where I have seen it several times. A grand old airplane, and the best of it's kind when I was a boy!
    -= Gary =-
    FSX, FS Commander, Radar Contact, REX Essentials w/Overdrive, MegaScenery Earth v2 Florida, Win 7 64-bit.
    Flying A2A P-51, B-377, and Coolsky MD-80 Super Pro.

Well, I only flew their [Eastern] Connies in the Shuttle service out of NYC. I guess the transition to the jet age was inevitable, but I would've preferred to stay with the props. But, I guess I'm just too old fashioned, ay?!

Blog Entries

It's great to have commercial pilots like yourself around here to answer questions. Your biography does not explain your "skylab" moniker though, what's the story there?

Well, Nels, when I first started on this Forum a hundred years ago [ !! ] I WAS Skyking, but somehow during a 'meltdown' of the Forum, I was unable to use it after the start-up and came up with Skylab. I AM Skyking on another Forum. If you can give it back to me, I'll take it.
    Last edited by skylab; 12-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Hey Sky,

I'm interested in knowing more about what you think about were the airline/aircraft industry *IS* going? I just read an article about commerical aircraft becoming completely automated in the not too distant future and I think I'm going to post that up in the Headlines forum to get some feedback shortly. You, like others that we share this site with us, have so much experience that your opinon is really valued on subjects like these.

Well, maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I kinda like the idea where pilots actually FLY their aircraft and know what to do when things go wrong rather than relying 99.9% on some computer to take care of everything. Modern day technology just seems to be taking away peoples ability to THINK. Like I said, I guess I'm just too old !!

Blog Entries

Just because you're old does not mean you are wrong :-)

Well, the only reason I'd wanna be wrong is for the sake of those who might suffer because of the way I feel.

10. Default

It is exactly because you THINK that you have managed to become old! Congratulations!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast