Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Profile: Nels Anderson

Blog Entries

Cool Pilot Profile: Nels Anderson

OK, let's kick off this forum.

Compared to some here my pilot "career" has not been exactly exciting but I have been licensed now for 21 years and have over 1000 hours of flight time. I'm not a professional, just an aviation enthusiast who is happy to fly a small plane and does not have to go too far.

I did get started because of flightsimming though. My initial interest in aviation was doing things like going to airshows and museums but at some point I discovered a very early version of Flight Simulator. Getting involved in that hobby let me meet real pilots, one of whom offered some of us flightsim fans a ride at a local airport. That soon got me hooked and I went and took lessons and was soon a pilot myself.

Most of my flying has been in a Piper PA28-181 Archer II. Some may remember that about ten years ago DreamFleet made a version of this very plane for FS2002 and later FS2004. I'm pretty tall and don't fit into some planes, even some of the bigger ones, but the Archer is a perfect fit for me.

Remember Meigs Field? If you're an old time flightsimmer you surely do as it was the default airport for many versions. One of my most memorable real world flights was a trip there with several flightsim friends, allowing us the chance to land in real life on the runway we'd landing on virtually so many times:

Name:  cgx1.gif
Views: 1065
Size:  169.1 KB

I've belonged to AOPA and EAA for most of my flying career. I'm active in my local EAA 196 Chapter (www.eaa196.com) where our favorite chapter activity is the Young Eagles (www.youngeagles.org) program that introduces kids to aviation. As part of that program I've given over 500 kids introductory plane rides. That's a lot of kids! I always hope that some may go on to careers in aviation or at least come away with a better understanding of something that we all love.

So that's it for me, I hope others will have many interesting stories about their own pilot activities.
    Last edited by Nels_Anderson; 12-06-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Hi Nels,

Nice write up - sir... Are we supposed to just add to this thread or start a new one ??? I don't see this forum in the forum list ???

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Oops, the forum isn't quite open yet, we're still getting it set up which is why it's not yet on the forum menu. Please feel free to reply to any thread. If you're going to write a profile about yourself though start a new thread. Thanks!

Default Pilot Profile: Nels Anderson

Thanks Nels !

Regards,
    Scott

A nice writeup, Nels. It looks like a good pattern to start with.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hi Nels,

Boy - that paint job looks familiar - I think "someone" may have uploaded a paint to the file library - a long time ago...

Tell me about the large pilot problems - LOL - at 6'5" and 215lbs - you really need the right cockpit...

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

You and I are the same height, so you know my problem :-)

Yes, that paint job probably looks familiar. There's the famous DreamFleet version of it of course. But I did a version of the plane way back in the FS4 days that is still in the file library and I did another repaint of it more recently for another base model. Of course it's a pretty standard 1980's Piper paint scheme anyway.

Nels,

You were the first person to take me up in a small plane. I was so thrilled by that flight and your encouragement to fly that I started taking lessons. I still have photos and remember the trips you took me, my Dad, my nephew, my niece on. The time we went to Nantucket, and flew over the Cape then up over Logan. Out to New York to visit Dennis Fowler (yikes the winds on take off remember that lol). Then to Maine and down the coastline. You flew my dad over the Quabbin reservoir and over the windmills near mount Wachusetts.

It was you who encouraged me to give everyone an option to get a free flight were we worked each day. I can't imagine how many great memories and inspirations you have given the hundreds of young eagles you have flown.

Those are great memories, I'm glad your profile is up here. Your the reason FlightSim.Com exists!!

That's a great story about your aviation life, I especially enjoyed the part about landing at Meigs Field... I can imagine what you were feeling when on final approach to that runway. Again, thanks for sharing your story!

Asus X550V

Nice post Nels. I do remember Meigs from FS and was very upset when they bulldozed it out of existence in secret on a Sunday.
    I still have the Dreamfleet Piper Archer and fly it occasionally. I am also in EAA and involved with the local chapter and Young Eagles (I'm the "official" photographer for the chapter)
    Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast