Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FMC: What's the appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by MdMax View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_Management_Computer
    ... Of course, it can be more interesting to use classic radio navigation, no automatic VNAV, and a manual throttle, manual engine management. I like both.
    May we we always, in spite of ourselves, land with the wheels down.
    Silverblade
    If it doesn't have a prop, it's not a real airplane!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MdMax View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_Management_Computer
    Of course, it can be more interesting to use classic radio navigation, no automatic VNAV, and a manual throttle, manual engine management. I like both.
    I agree. The beauty of the sim is we have the option to fly to our preference...to each his own...as they say...

There are folks here who have tried to faithfully reproduce (and understand better) how the classic navigators (Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart et al.) might have flown...with dead-reckoning, celestial navigation etc. in the mix...

At the same time, when the captain of the 737-800 flight (Houston->Chicago) that I was on yesterday, announced that we could listen to "real" ATC on Channel X on our descent to Chicago, I did and was wondering how they must have had to program and re-program their FMC including selection of VNAV altitude/speed restrictions, ILS RWY, STAR, TRANSITON etc. down to final TD...

Now, having/using realistic FMC equipped planes in the sim, and recreating the flight would certainly enhance the experience even though one could have flown it by other means (such as GPS).....

So, have fun any way you prefer. Happy flying.
    Last edited by simmerdr; 09-15-2012 at 03:11 PM.

It's fun to fly 737-800 using FMC, it helps a lot, but make flight phase boring sometimes. I usually was clib using my standard rule of 1800ft/min... lately I used FMC vnav and found that is used about 3x less fuel to get to FL340... (earliem about 2000kg to get to altitude, and using FMC about 700kg). That is huge difference.
    If I want to have fun with navigation, I'm taking my 727 to the sky. No FMC, just auto, need to tune radio and select proper NDB, VOR to know where I am.
    If I want most of the fun about flying stuff, then taking DC-3, and fly it totally manually - turning AP only when go to toilet or something
    That's the fun of sim, I can fly as I want

Quote Originally Posted by simmerdr View Post
    was wondering how they must have had to program and re-program their FMC including selection of VNAV altitude/speed restrictions, ILS RWY, STAR, TRANSITON etc. down to final TD..
    I had the opportunity to learn the FMC in a Gulfstream 200 at the company I used to work for.

One thing I learned is that what is a frustrating, complex process in FS to reprogram an FMS with a mouse is actually a very simple intuitive process in a two pilot cockpit with buttons on the FMS.

The other process we usually skip in FS is the study of the arrival airspace, knowing the key approaches for all the runways, the missed approach procedures.
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

5. Default

Thanks for the comments, Reggie.
    In this case, O'Hare did re-assign the (landing) ILS RWY due to some unexpected occupancy issue.

FMC =

(Boeing-Type CDU and Airbus-Type MCDU)

A brief description here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_management_system

Thanks for the explanation/link.
    It all sounds a bit heavy to me ;-)
    My usual cross-county flights in a low or high wing monoplane have never had yearning for one or even wondering if I should be using one. In fact I will now look at my a/c and see if I even have one!
    I well understand the realms of realism though and happy to learn there's even more to explore in FSX.
    Bon Vol.

The great thing about Flight Simulator is you can fly an airliner with an FMC as the real world Airliner pilots do. You can fly a GA Cessna or Beechcraft VFR or with your Garmin GPS as the real world Hobby pilots or f.e. Era Alaska pro's do, or you can step in a Boeing 747 take of and do loops and corckscrews as a real gamer does. I'm one of those nutcases who flies airliners with an FMC on a non eventfull 8 hour long haul from Amsterdam to New York most of the time, sometimes fire up my Piper Archer for an IFR (I Follow Roads )flight and sometimes my spitfire to do loopings or my DC3 for a scenic flight. How cool is it that one can fly all these epic planes!! But always with a smile on my face and enjoying my flight and the views

Harro
    Last edited by djadlib; 09-16-2012 at 09:21 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by djadlib View Post
    But always with a smile on my face and enjoying my flight and the views
    Same here... I'm now flying a new version of the Boeing 777-200LR by Ramzzess & Philipp Avionics. I love the FMS and the Remote CDU just like in the CRJ-200.

10. Default

MdMax: Very interesting...Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2