Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to create photoreal scenery for FSX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default How to create photoreal scenery for FSX

It's truly fun to create your own sceneries. I'm sure a lot of simmers would like to do their own photoreal sceneries but don't know how to do it, try a bit here and there and often give up somewhere along the way after browsing several forums for weeks and months without solving some basic problems.

Sure, it takes a lot of time to do photoreal sceneries. But once you've got used to flying over photoreal terrain, you'll be addicted to it - there's just nothing better!

I don't recommend doing photoreal sceneries with a texture resolution of less than 1m/pixel or LOD15 (Level of Detail). 60cm/pixel or LOD16 is best. Why? With LOD15 you can fly as low as 1500 ft above ground and it still looks good, with LOD16 you can even go down to 500 ft above ground and it will still look mighty real.

You also have to consider file size. If you do LOD15 sceneries, you will need at least 0.2MB/sq km, for LOD16 sceneries 0,8MB/sq km. So if you want to do Sardinia with an area of 24,000 sq km, you will need at least 5GB for LOD15 and a whopping 20GB if you do it in LOD16! And that's just for the photoreal textures. You also have to consider mesh and objects.

So, one day in the near future when 250TB hard drives will be available, we can easily put the entire planet in photoreal LOD16 on one single hard drive.

I will use Nauru as an example for this tutorial.
    Last edited by scruffyduck; 07-13-2012 at 11:38 AM.

2. Default

PART I - Preparations

1) Install FSX SDK SP2
    (you have to first install SDK (from your FSX DVD), then SDK SP1, then SDK SP2 in exactly that order)

2) Install SbuilderX and latest Tile server plugins

3) Install ADE

4) Install a image editing software that can work with layers (Photoshop, Gimp etc.)

5) Create a folder "Nauru" on your C: drive

6) Create a folder "Scenery" and a folder "Texture" in your "Nauru" folder

7) Copy (don't move!!!) resample.exe from your "Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK" folder into your "Nauru" folder
    Last edited by Tiberius K.; 01-21-2013 at 05:16 AM.

3. Default

PART V - Working with SBuilderX - Polygons (continued)

21) Now select your polygon tool and start drawing a polygon along your coastline by left-clicking. (you can zoom in and out with your mouse wheel). It doesn't matter in which direction (clockwise/counterclockwise both work). When you have come full circle, click your right mouse button again to close the poly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-20.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	129305

22) Your poly should now look like this:

Name:	5-21.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	129306

23) The poly usually looks a bit rough. But you can smooth it out a bit. Right-click on one of the poly lines and select "Smooth"

Name:	5-22.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	129307

24) Type "25" as minimum distance and click "smooth" and then "OK". Be careful, if your poly has about 800+ poly points, SBuilderX sometimes crashes. So save your project before your smooth a large poly. I recommend saving your project often. When SbuilderX crashes or some tool doesn't work as it should, just exit SBuilderX and reload your project and continue.

Name:	5-23.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	129308

25) Poly points might have doubled, but it looks much much better. So far our QMID7 square is water only, which means all terrain data is lost. We have to cut a hole into the hydro poly so the terrain beneath can be shown. So right-click on one of your poly lines and select "set as hole"

Name:	5-25.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	129309

26) Now your courser says: "Click to select parent poly". Our parent poly is our blue QMID7 poly. So zoom out and left-click on one of the poly lines and a hole will be created.

Name:	5-26.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	129310

27) Your yellowish poly will turn transparent when the poly hole has been created. Save your project

Name:	5-27.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	129311

Name:	5-28.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	129312

28) Now start FSX and have a look at the area without the default hydro poly. You will see that there is no water anymore, only terrain.

Name:	5-29.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	129313

Name:	5-30.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	129314

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius K. View Post
    PART I - Preparations

1) Install FSX SDK SP2
    (you have to first install SDK (from your FSX DVD), then SDK SP1, then SDK SP2 in exactly that order)

2) Install SbuilderX and latest Tile server plugins

3) Install ADE

4) Install a image editing software that can work with layers (Photoshop, Gimp etc.)

5) Create a folder "Nauru" on your C: drive

6) Create a folder "Scenery" and a folder "Texture" in your "Nauru" folder

7) Copy (don't move!!!) resample.exe from your "Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK" folder into your "Nauru" folder
    Sorry for being so ignorant, just now finally started with SbuilderX after installing the SDK. I am afraid I did something wrong. I followed part II, but no map showed up, could it be that I installed the latest tile server plugin incorrectly??
    What I did was copied and pasted the GoogleServer_v115 directly into C, is that where it should be or should it be inside SbuilderX?
    Thanks!!

5. Default

Needs to go in "SBuilderX313\Tiles" Annber.

EDIT: Also there's a v122 available: http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7516#p7516

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Robinson; 02-19-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks Jim, finally figured it out just now. I am running into another problem though, I am trying to make a photoreal scenery for the area around Jorge Chavez Int in Lima, Peru. First it was a pain to get the proper coordinates I wanted, got that done finally. Then I noticed that using Google maps the zoom was quite blurry at 11,12, or 13, so I went with Yahoo maps which allowed a much crisper zoom at 13, but when I got to part II (getting your background image), i got all the way to step 13, the tiles seemed to be loading and the map disappeared and had small signs instead telling me the image was unavailable. That is my frustrated progress so far.

Tried Hide and show background with both Yahoo maps and Google maps and still not able to generate a map. Any thoughts Jim?
    Also, why is Google maps soo blurry at zoom 12, it wont even go to zoom 13?

Hi Jim,
    I noticed that Yahoo has a much crisper version on Jorge Chavez Int., and I tried downloading the tiles, but could not even though the image was there. I also noticed Tiberius posted the same question back on October 10 here at Flightsim.
    Do you know why it is that I cannot download the Yahoo tiles?

9. Default

I just tried that and was able to make a map at zoom=16, apparently there is no higher resolution than that. Were you trying to add a map at a zoom level above 16?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I just tried that and was able to make a map at zoom=16, apparently there is no higher resolution than that. Were you trying to add a map at a zoom level above 16?

Jim
    Not sure, let me try again.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast