Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FSX compatibility issues with windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBill View Post
    Back to the main point of the thread. So does that mean Fsx deluxe not being compatible on windows website is an error.
    No. FSX was developed for XP and Vista. Therefore Microsoft can't guarantee it is compatible with Win7.

I am no computer expert, but pretty good with FSX by experience. Here is what I have learned through research, trial and error and occasional pain!

FSX does work on Windows 7; the issue is that it only addresses the 32 bit, not the 64 bit capability, so it does not do much better than on XP or VISTA in many respects. This is why so many people get disappointed with Windows 7 and FSX - because they expect lightning speed but don't get it.

In Windows 7, you see both Program Files and Program files (x86) folders. Windows 7 knows when a program or application is 64 bit capable, and if not, installs it in the x86 directory and handles it differently. In some cases it appears that install programs have been updated to place a program in x86 because the developer knows it is only 32 bit capable.

FSX has a lot of bugs, even on XP or VISTA.

I would recommend running FSX "as administrator" (right click the icon or file name, use the popup menu), which sometimes eliminates problems with addons, etc. This will also often run addons like ACARS to run rather than crash. Sometimes just doing this the first time with an add on "heals" it and you don't have to "run as administrator" any more - don't ask me why!

The advantages you WILL see in FSX, because you have a new computer, is mostly in graphics - caused by a better video card and likely, a better screen resolution
    Last edited by mikeandpatty; 06-24-2012 at 07:45 AM.

So with a newer computer and a better graphics card the graphics would be better at lower settings than in a older computer with a bad graphics card.

Capitalbill

I believe my post was on topic. jonbec infers that all his crashes are a result of win7 incompatibility with Fsx when it could well be that he is just pushing his system too hard.
    Bruce
    [email protected] 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

Quote Originally Posted by mgh View Post
    No. FSX was developed for XP and Vista. Therefore Microsoft can't guarantee it is compatible with Win7.
    But FSX orginal, FSx Gold, FSX aceleration are all compatible according to the website, I know it will work I'm just wondering why it says what it says.

Which exact website are you looking at?

Microsoft's support site base lists Windows 7 for both FSX and Acceleration:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925724

And this site lists Windows 7 as being supported for both the Standard and Deluxe editions:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/fligh...duct_info.html

The difference you are seeing is probably just an issue with the website not being updated.

As has been noted above, all versions of FSX will run on Windows 7.

The website is the windows 7 compatibility center
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...%20x&os=64-bit

I got it working, but have to run in Windows XP Compatibility mode. Even then, I have some strange issues where the game will show squares of black instead of scenery, or if I switch out of the game and back in, it will not reappear (Running in Full screen). I can't run in Windowed mode or it will just show black ground and no scenery. I believe it's related to using an ATI Radeon card, but could be related to Windows 7 64 bit.

With the black squares, if I change my view, or turn the view away from where the black squares show, and then come back to where they were, they are gone and I see scenery. Randomly, the game will just go black completely and I have to end task.
    Intel i5-2500k
    ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance LGA 1155
    G.Skill Sniper series 8 GB 1600 Memory
    XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit

How long have you played FSX on that computer and do you have lots of addons

I have a fairly new computer that was purchased around Christmas. Windows 7, 8 GB RAM, 2GB GeForce, 3.4 GHz dual-core processor and 1TB HDD. FSX runs fine with all the default graphics/sound settings turned up to max.

However, I've run into something that I think is related to the 32-bit compatibility of the program. If I go into custom settings and try to boost the graphics to take advantage of the resolution and capabilities of my video card, I can't take any flights that are over about 45 minutes. After that amount of time, the game freezes and a window pops up telling me I'm out of memory. This is not when trying to record any video or save flight files or anything. It just freezes up and dumps me out of the game to desktop after I clear the error window.

Is there anything you can do by playing around with default config files to take advantage of machines that are much faster and more powerful than the memory, hardware, and storage specs that were "industry standard" in 2006 when the game was launched? I did a fresh install back in early June from my original DVD-copy of the game (which includes the "Accelerator" pack with some additional military planes), but I can't remember when I first bought it--probably back in the first year or two that FSX was on the market.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast