Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FSX compatibility issues with windows 7

Is there anything you can do by playing around with default config files to take advantage of machines that are much faster and more powerful than the memory, hardware, and storage specs that were "industry standard" in 2006 when the game was launched?
    No, the sim is a 32 bit program and cannot use more than 4GB of memory, even on a 64 bit OS. And actually under 32 bit Windows the sim will only have access to 2GB of memory unless you play with the /3GB setting. It is also more dependent on the CPU than GPU, and again, there isn't anything that can be done by anyone other than Microsoft. Basically the sim engine is designed for a computer world that no longer exists and this will never be changed in FSX itself.

grampaPropTop Guest

Ok for me on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, works so far on all types of accounts (admin, power user, guest).
    I had the no ATC sound trouble at first, here's what I did to fix it on my PC (Asus M4A785T-EVO motherboard, Via VT1708S codec):
    1-Installed FSX SP1 and SP2 (no joy).
    2-Logged on to the admin account, ran dxsetup (I'm running DirectX 11).
    dxsetup apparently put everything right, because when I was done, I had ATC voice

I just had to clean install Win7 after upgrading to Win10 DISABLED most of my FSX addons (as well as FS9 and P3D v1.2). I left Win7 alone to install the years worth of updates, and successfully reinstalled FS9.1 (and addons) without issue.

However, FSX-A, as it turns out, is NOT compatible with a fully up-to-date Win7 64 bit, both according to the MS web site and my inability to reinstall it. It hangs on the install of the Visual C 2005 runtime, and I have to either go in through the task manager to halt the several programs running the install, or simply hard boot (much faster, it turns out).

As I've had to reinstall the OS many times in the past, I have to suspect Windows Update installed something to effectively "break" the OS's ability to run various older Microsoft programs, in this case sometime after my last clean install of the OS last winter (in which FSX installed just fine).

So, I'll wait until I can afford a better machine, and switch to Linux so I can run X-Plane, and rid myself of Micro$oft once and for all.

Default No install of FSX Deluxe (DVD circa 2006 set) on Dell Windows 7 Studio 1749 Laptop

Anyone have any luck installing the FSX DVD 2 disc set version from 2006 on a 2010 Dell Laptop?

IF so, what folder did you use to install? C:\FSX or the FSX under the Program Files (86) folder.

Dell Studio 1749 with 17" screen
    i3-350M 2.26Ghz
    Running Windows 7, 64 bit Home Premium
    Intel HD graphics

So far I have been running it on a 2003 Gateway Windows Desktop XP machine from 2003, which runs OK, accepts the FSX SP1 and SP2 UPdates, but returns an 0x8878000a error when I recently tried adding the C-47R Skytrain v3.12 Beta add-on files, so I am going to try to move my FSX to my laptop that runs Windows 7, 64 bit. I attempted this several years ago and concluded that this version of FSX was incompatible with W7, 64 bit, however from reading posts this may not be the case, some have problems and some don't.

I don't have that laptop, but I've been running FSX Deluxe since 2010 on my Win 7 64-bit machine (XP before that). If you are having problems with it on Win 7, it's likely something wrong with the way your machine is set up, but isn't a problem with Win7 64 in general. You can always ask here about specific errors/problems you encounter, though I recommend you start your own thread so that people don't have to chase through so much 9 year old material to focus on your specific problem(s).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thumbs up Migrated FSX to my 64 bit W7 Dell Studio Laptop Today - No problems!

Thanks for your reply.

I did the installation of the FSX Deluxe (2006) Disk Set today and seems to be working on my Windows 7 64 bit system!

Glad Microsoft still accepts a 15 year old product key.

I installed it to a partitioned drive such as E:\FSX.

No special compatibility modes or changes to Internet Information Services Manager were required as suggested in some youtube videos.

Also, after copying the FSX SP1 and FSX SP2 updates to the FSX main folder directory and executing these files, the C-47R Skytrain V3.12 Beta add on airplane also works.

Glad you got it going.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123