Thread: New Laptop

1. Default New Laptop

Hello,
    I am getting a new laptop. My old laptop used the following:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

I was experiencing great amounts of lag and low fps with this laptop. For example, at FSDreamteam's Kahului on low settings, I was always getting 10-18 fps. I also saw great drops in fps on landing. While using Ultimate Traffic 2, it was even worse.
    My new laptop uses the following:
    Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3 GHz Memory: 8GB DDR3 System Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M with 1GB GDDR3 Memory

I would like to know if I can fly into FlyTampa's St. Maarten with medium settings or FSDreamteam's Kahului with medium settings along with Overland/Simmer's Sky B737 and get decent frame rates (25+)/smooth flight. If I added AI traffic, would it be drastically worse? My new laptop is still being shipped and I am very anxious to see how FSX will run.

2. Default

In my opinion, I would NOT use a laptop as they have the tenancy of being slow. If you have a normal computer, I would use that
    BLACKHAWK DOWN!

3. Default

I have a normal computer, but it is rather old and I prefer using laptops. With my old laptop, I was seeing 50 fps in FlyTampa's St. Maarten, but only for a short time until it dropped into the 20's.

sunilraj1999, if you prefer using laptops, that's fine--everyone has their opinions and preferences. I use mine quite frequently to do simming, and as long as I know its limitations and keep it cool (I use a Cooler master dual-fan cooling platform) for long flights, it works just fine. In my opinion, based on experience, a good multi-core cpu at 2.6 Ghz or higher, 8gb RAM, 500gb HDD, and a decent (at least 512mg RAM) onboard video gpu should be a good starting point (just described my own laptop). A gamer's laptop is a good choice, but they are horribly expensive, and can be under-ventilated. My 17.3" laptop (which will be a year old in July) cost me less than $700, and the same configuration is closer to the high 4 & low $500 level right now. My frame rates rarely dip below 18 fps, even in NYC with the scenery sliders near their highest settings. True, my desktop simbox is much faster, as has all the flight control hardware, but I can put my laptop, cooling platform, joystick, and headphones (I use the Saitek Cyborg X when I travel because it can be broken down and doesn't take up much space) in my A.L.I.C.E. backpack and I've got a fully portable simkit I can take just about anywhere. Do you have a brand preference? Asus isn't bad. Of course, whatever works for you personally is best. Good luck, and clear skies.

aputech

sunilraj1999, I must've missed your post with your new laptop's specs--my bad. The specs for your new rig look pretty promising--especially the 1 gig of video memory. Would you please PM me with your performance opinions after you've tested her (new laptop's) performance?

Thanks,

aputech

I fly FSX on my desktop PC and FS9 on my laptop. Best of both worlds.

7. Default

My new laptop is great; I can finally fly smoothly with high fps. At London with UT2 set at 40% using default scenery, I was getting fps in the 40-70 range.

That's awesome, sunilraj1999. Your suffering is over! WooHooooooo!

aputech

Quote Originally Posted by sunilraj1999 View Post
    My new laptop is great; I can finally fly smoothly with high fps. At London with UT2 set at 40% using default scenery, I was getting fps in the 40-70 range.
    I guess laptops have risen to the occasion! Good for you!