How do you keep FSX interesting?

Hello Rupert,

I noticed you talking about the ORBX freeware. Go to 2S1, Vashon Muni and look for the flying saucer. I used to live there and my buddy and his friends built and installed it and ORBX, amazingly, included it in the scenery. Turn up the trees because it is a scar in the middle of the forest.

Cheers,

pcwildman

Greetings all;

I've been a "follower" of this thread for quite a while and have enjoyed and been stimulated by it to do some things and go some places that I might never have otherwise. I've never contributed until now because my list of interesting things is years long... So I've just joined the group over at the MSFS Flight Videos forum to begin sharing what keeps me interested in flight simming since the FS4 days. Just posted the 9th in an on-going series of "Why I Fly". Drop in there to see my multiple answers to this question of keeping the interest level up.

Actually, please try some of the other contributers' videos also. I think an important aspect of maintaining the interest level is the awareness that others want you to enjoy this sim too. Community support is a big motivator.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

• 2 weeks later...
Hi folks,

What do you do on FSX to keep things interesting? Fun addons? try different planes? practice non-normal procedures? do ATW trips? VatSim? FSPassenger? Missions? etc

I'm just trying to get ideas to keep FSX fresh.

Finally, getting "pretty good" at learning how to use the TOP OF DESCENT on flights using PMDG 777 and other jet aircraft on commercial aircraft to get good approaches into my destination airport.....I get a real "high on that" ...it is so cool!

• 1 month later...
Hello Rupert,

I noticed you talking about the ORBX freeware. Go to 2S1, Vashon Muni and look for the flying saucer. I used to live there and my buddy and his friends built and installed it and ORBX, amazingly, included it in the scenery. Turn up the trees because it is a scar in the middle of the forest.

Cheers,

pcwildman

Hey Wildman,

I've flown in and out of 2S1 several times, before and after your post, but can't seem to find the saucer. Where might I look in relation to the airport?

BTW: I was just reading on Wikipedia that is the first press use of the term flying saucers.:cool:

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

How do I keep FSX interesting? I don't play it all the time.

Deviating between sims, such as FSX, X-Plane and FlightGear, ensures that my interest never wanes.

Oh...and then there is mountain biking, photography and dare I say it...the PS4:D

• 2 weeks later...
Four projects I have completed in recent months: (1) a low-and-slow flight around the entire perimeter of the lower 48 states; (2) a tour of all 59 U.S. National Parks; (3) a float-plane trip across the U.S. and back, landing only on water; (4) a 12,000 mile nonstop flight from Norfolk VA to Ulan Bataar, Mongolia in a B747 that required in-air refueling.

I keep it interesting by striving to do everything perfect. From take off to landing. I have now begun to fly the ILS manually instead of cheating by using the APP button. I've been quite good. Now I need to practice my crabbing. I also keep it interesting by looking at Google Street View at the destination I go to. Right now I'm in Helsinki Finland.

Apparently for me, trying to repaint special liveries for jets I love to fly with keeps the interest bar on top. You know, like making the skies more a more fun place to fly in with colorful airplane liveries !

I've just completed repainting ANA Pokémon peace jet livery on Overland/SMS Boeing 777-300, and soon I'm gonna repaint Overland's 767-300ER in ANA star wars BB-8 livery (and It's possible that I will paint it for your CLS, Captain sim, or Level D 767s as well !)

ANA Pokemon peace jet Overland.jpg

One more thing ... It's a particular gauge that allows me to play music inflight !

2017-5-30_18-42-22-900.jpg

See the white box above and to the left the PFD ? Yep, that's the gauge that allows me to have my own 'jukebox' while flying ! Being able to play music with that gauge ... Definitely makes FSX flights much less boring, especially on long haul flights !

Oh yeah, as it's separated from the FSPassengers system (which I sometimes use), I can play my own 'jukebox' in cruise, even with FSPassengers on ! It's fun to fly with music, you know ? It really makes you feel much less bored (and more immersed into your flight) :):cool:.

(In case you want the gauge, PM me and I'll send you !)

I'm visiting new places, as long as there is good scenery available.

Sometimes I like sailing ships too (sacrilege)!

Not at all!! Ships are very handy taxis for moving Marines from place to place so we can continue to save the civilized world!

Speaking of which. You should contact Phantom Tweak. He's a huge fan of carrier ops. Perhaps you can drive the taxi so he'll have a way around without running out of fuel in his F-18. ;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I don't know if I'm in the right topic but I'll hear the b737 800 pmdg add on is really good. But I heard I needed a good system to run it, so my question is, if someone knows a little more than me about computers, can my computer run it smoothly. On the requirements it says that it's not working with onboard mother card and CPU video but I have no idea what that means..

I have a laptop MSI cr62 2M, intel core i 7 - 5700 hq with graphic card intel hd 5600

Can somebody help me. :)

Thks

Well @CatusMinus,

I myself am sure that you should've made a separate entry altogether in the forum. Anyways, 'Onboard mother card and CPU video' here means 'Onboard VGA / GPU (Graphic Processing Unit)' ; basically a computer system (including laptops) that uses the processor for graphics processing as well as all the other functions. GPUs like this have the same brand as the processor that powers the PC / Laptop. (For example = A laptop with intel processors and onboard GPU will list the graphic card available as something beginning with 'Intel...')

Judging by your specs ... Sorry, but it appears that (even though your processor is nice, I have to admit) your laptop uses an onboard GPU (like what I said before), so yeah ... I'm really sorry to tell you this but I don't think you can run PMDG's Boeing 737-800, as your GPU can't support the details :(

Even I (having a laptop with an NVIDIA graphics card) don't dare flying PMDG jets too much ; I'm really concerned about how much resource the jets takes when they're on the go, even though PMDG jets fly just like the real aircraft of the same type.

Wright.jpg

take the Wright Flyer IFR to FL20 :pilot::)

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try other areas of flight that are more challenging. When I got a bit bored of flying single engine, non-complex GA planes like 172's, I decided to try gliders. It's been a week since I did the glider tutorial in FSX, and so far I'm hooked! I've only been flying the ASK-21 lately, and today probably will try out the L-23 Super Blanik since my local glider club heavily uses the L-23. When good summer weather comes to an end in the fall, I'll probably move on to trying either tailwheel aircraft or complex aircraft (not twins, just complex engine like C182 or Bonanza).

Or you can go on a cross country flight! better yet, go on a cross country with NO autopilot! :cool:

I have quite many addons from Calclassic for, well, almost all the continents. Never get bored by visiting a random airport in Europe, Asia, Africa, etc in the 1960s and watching their AI. Also try the Peru Cargo Missions on the C-46 and Viscount 800.
Bay Area Spotters