How do you keep FSX interesting?

Sorry, I may have misunderstood, but from my reading of your original post, it seems that what you have done is only possible in FS9. To quote: "... we use FS9 for the sims, because we have the correct flight models & freeware scenery that FSX does not offer." Therefore, wouldn't your story be more appropriate for a thread on "How to Make FS9 More Interesting"? Just asking.

• 2 weeks later...
I just installed FSDT GSX, Love it! Now my FSX is major big time Completed!
CyberPowerPC Desktop Gamer Xtreme Liquid cool GLC3200F Intel i7-4790k 4.0 CPU Z97,NEW-GPU Gigabyte OC GTX1060 6GB ,128GB SSD W10 Home 64-Bit 1TB SATA III- SSD 850 EVO 500GB for FSX only,Force Feedback 2 joystick] Notebook MSI GP62MVR 7RFX i7 7700HQ 2.8/3.8 turbo- 16gb Memory-GPU GTX 1060 6 GB Memory.

I just installed FSDT GSX, Love it! Now my FSX is major big time Completed!
I installed it not too long ago when it was 20% off at the Pilot Shop. BEST add-on on I've used in a little while, especially when combined with FSPassengers!

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Check out my YouTube Channel for FSX, X-Plane and other simulator content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Drawyah/

One way I use to add some interest and challenge to a flight is to go to Flightaware.com and search for a real flight from one airport to another. The site provides information on the time, date, flight #, airline name, gate numbers at both ends of the flight, type of aircraft, flight altitude and complete flight plan in both short and long versions. You can even highlight(select) the flight plan from the decode section and add it to your navdata file if it doesn't contain all of the waypoints in it. (correct

decimal degree lat and longs are part of the data you copy). Once you have the flight plan put in your aircraft's FMC, you're all set to go. Fly it just like the pros! Just a suggestion.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Go online and find one of those simple, one page tourist maps of a major city like London or Paris. You know, the kind of colorful maps that only show the main streets and have little drawings scattered about to show the main couple of dozen tourist attractions. Then, with a copy in hand, fire up your favorite chopper and see how many are portrayed in the flight sim.

How many can you find?

• 3 weeks later...
And here I thought I was the only one that did that! :) Always feel a little guilty. Its also rather fun to climb facing the winds while drifting backwards. Of course my super cub would get its wings ripped off in real life but . . . . I make certain to save any flights with the weather to use for challenging flying.

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

• 3 weeks later...
First, I try to keep FSX working in the ever-changing / evolving Windows 10 environment! Remember when the Microsoft slogan, "where do you want to go today?", was changed to, "where in the hell are you taking me today?".

To your point, I am limited to FSX SP1 due to Windows 10, so I concentrate on creating a geographical area (Seattle) and duplicate all the real-world commercial traffic in and out of KSEA, KBFI, KTCM, and KPDX. I started by adding the Alaska / Horizon schedule(s) and am now adding other U.S. airlines.

This information is also posted other places by me. Download MSFT Patch KB928080, run that, and SP2 should install just fine before the KB mentioned above. It fixed lots of problems on install, and activiation of FSX DVD Edition for me. Hope this helps realize this is an old thread.

I've gone back to basics. I loaded up the stock 172 and started in New Orleans, Flew to Lafayette, then to my home field of KBFM. Started there the next day and flew to Tallahassee. Left there the next day and flew to Savannah, Georgia. Today I took off from Savannah and landed in Ashville, NC. I always loved Ashville in mid-October. I'll take off from Ashville tomorrow or Tuesday and fly somewhere else. Maybe Bowling Green, where I got my Private license or to Springfield,TN where I worked to get it. from there I'll probably visit my first home field outside of Memphis, Wolf River Airport.

After this trip is done, I may buy my first (virtual) plane. I'm thinking about the A2A 172 or the Carenado 172RG Cutlass. I know the A2A is more accurate, but after I spent $6000 rebuilding my Jeep, the wife may shoot me if I spend $50 on a computer airplane! And I got my Instrument rating in an RG and I think I may like to fly it out through Texas for a bit. Low, slow, VOR to VOR and observing the world pass below me like I used to do in real life.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi folks,

What do you do on FSX to keep things interesting? Fun addons? try different planes? practice non-normal procedures? do ATW trips? VatSim? FSPassenger? Missions? etc

I'm just trying to get ideas to keep FSX fresh.

I do what few people that have ever had FSX have ever done. In fact, I'm the ONLY ONE ON STEAM that does it AND in PUBLIC MULTIPLAYER fashion. I host at least four different aircraft carrier missions and free flight, using the carriers U.S.S. Nimitz AND the RFN R91 Charles de Gaulle. I do much more than take pictures and splash them on screens for other people to merely look at, like I've [you've] done something special. The famous Slickrock server, exclusively on Steam, allows other pilots to actually get involved as well.

You simply get the files and/or installer at Simviation or Flyawaysimulation.com

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

done something special. The famous Slickrock server, exclusively on Steam, allows other pilots to actually get involved as well.

Hmmm. Second post for you. Glad you are ultra proud of yourself and I'm certain your carrier project offers nice options for the interested. Since its just your second post, Im sure the members here will give you a pass on your denigrating those who enjoy the sport of screen shots. The thread here, however, is meant to be a place to share your ways of enjoying FSX. Not an opportunity to take pot shots at the way others keep it interesting. You might want to keep within the heart of the forum in future posts.

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

• 2 weeks later...

" You might want to keep within the heart of the forum in future posts. "

Excellent. We can see that somebody actually reads what I type and perhaps has some interest in this. Good. Therefore, in continuing and even taking this thread "question" to an even better level than show and tell, I am telling anyone reading this, not what interesting thing I do, but what interesting thing thing 2 or more pilots and navigators can do at the same time online. I will say that My favorite spot is on the other side of the island from Honolulu but you always get the usual, "whar's the carrier"{?} Anyways, anybody can do this. Just go to the FSN carrier at the bottom of the following page: https://simviation.com/1/browse-Misc-58-51 at the bottom like I said, but I suggest the other two famous aircraft carriers as well. I would post pictures but you already see that so many times, right? I assume anyone reading this has already got AIcarriers2 with Dino Cattaneo's excellent plane and his excellent work along with Javier that everybody can see. You wanna practice with that on your own in lieu of multiplayer, good idea. It's fun and frustrating. However, AIcarriers2 IS NOT MULTIPLAYER, I don't care what anybody on Steam or anywhere else says. In this case, which I've done here, if you want to fly or you want to try a hand at LSO, you can do that too, or simply switch it up now and then. I've brought this up before on VATSIM, since I've been a member for I don't know how long, but they refrain from it and I understand. I guess it could be done on VATSIM somewhere out of the range of ATC, I don't know. One guy and myself piloted two different ships next to each other at about 24 knots off the west coast of Africa. I didn't get a screen shot of that. It was pretty cool. In any case, just get the ship/s and that in and of itself is enough to keep this stuff interesting. If anyone needs information about RCBCO-30, a.k.a. COP3 modifications, that too is easily obtainable as well as installation. Anyways, here's the FSN link again, at the bottom of the page: https://simviation.com/1/browse-Misc-58-51 - Slick

Edited by Slickrock
forgot something

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

After 30 years of FS (starting with and Apple IIc in the late 80s), and 14 years since FSX came out, I well understand the question.

My answer (which may not be original): Orbx. This scenery is amazing, and has transfigured my entire FS experience. I prefer flying to places I've been to in the real world, and Orbx makes it like revisiting them. Even the basic global pack (that is, without the finer levels of payware detail, including regions and airports within them) makes an enormous difference.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no connection, commercial or social, with Orbx or any of its employees.

Hmmmm.... I wrote an article on this very subject, some 6 years ago, for Computer Pilot magazine.

For me, the best thing was being able to create your own scenery, and Ai traffic plans.

Not around at the time, was Air Hauler - get it!

As for scenery, unfortunately the great apps from Flight1 for FSX, have not yet been updated. P3D scenery design using the few hardcore tools available, or the SDK, is a nightmare.

The one thing I look forward to the most, is for Instant Scenery, Instant Object Maker, and Airport Studio, to be updated to work in P3Dv4.

If you are still on FSX, get those..... but, expect many, late nights - it is addictive!