How do you keep FSX interesting?

It's a small world, dagbostar! I have rellies in Ballarat, at Sulky, and a couple in Bendigo. Hardly anyone outside Oz knows that region was the centre of the world's biggest gold rush after the Klondike. There's still gold in the creek on my rellies land.

Yes, there is a huge "living museum" called Soverign Hill in Ballarat that is a replica of a Gold Rush town. Growing up there were old mines all around where we lived, and things called "mullock" heaps, which was basically large hills made from the dirt the miners had dug up and discarded. Apparently there is a huge amount of gold still beneath the town but the cost of mining it outstrips the values. My brother still goes looking for gold with a metal detector and finds very small pieces most weekends. Hope you and all your Ballarat, Sulky (don't know that place) and Bendigo rellies are all good.

I've been a longtime fan of the MSFS family. I'm running FSX:SE and eagerly awaiting the release of FS2020. I like to keep things 'fresh' by flying new routes, playing with equipment failures. I tend to set the failure rates well outside the flight length so the failure may or may not occur.

I vary weather conditions, change planes, test new areas of the world, etc. I gave myself a mission a couple of months ago to fly from the southern most airport in South America in nothing more than single or twin engine puddle jumpers and work my way to the top of North America. I also worked at retracing the Kangaroo Route in a Lockheed Connie. It's all just up to the limit of my imagination and what I feel like taking on an any given time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mates

Been gone a while. I just upgraded to a hot Dell with Win 10. My FSX Gold will install but won't run. Old PC was Win 7. Not the greatest but FS would run.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to get FSX running on Win 10? Also, is there a FS 2020?

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers

ALS

• 2 months later...

I've just come back from 2 days in London (my wife was at a breakfast at St James Palace, with Camilla and a few celebrity actors and writers) and I sat at Buckingham Palace watching A330s, 777s and A380s crawling past on a slow turn onto final, turbines screaming, flaps dangling ... So today I made a couple of flights in a A321 from Schiphol and Brussels onto the same runway, and I could see Buckingham Palace beneath me when I could spare half a second.

Thank you

james

I've just come back from 2 days in London (my wife was at a breakfast at St James Palace, with Camilla and a few celebrity actors and writers) and I sat at Buckingham Palace watching A330s, 777s and A380s crawling past on a slow turn onto final, turbines screaming, flaps dangling ... So today I made a couple of flights in a A321 from Schiphol and Brussels onto the same runway, and I could see Buckingham Palace beneath me when I could spare half a second.

Thank you

I doubt this was about FSX or flight sims, but you did mention airplanes! lol :D

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

I'm sure this is somewhere previous in the thread, but here's my experience. FSX is incredibly versatile. I always seem to get proficient at something and then it can go to a new level. Currently, I like large jets (airliners and military) so I visit different places. If I like one a lot, I download somebody's free scenery, then make my own if their's is not what I want. I've recently been making approaches using Airport Design Editor. It is remarkable you can get these from ATC. Neat! Buildings are fun. If it ends up being really like I want it, I upload it to FlightSim. com and share my newfound knowlege. Can't think of anything else as versatile as FSX. And MSFS2020 may take this to a new level!

How? I spent 6 hrs downloading FS2020, to an external drive, and then dis-connected it - and there it sits! That's how. HA!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi all, in respect to keeping FSX interesting, I recently discovered and installed a program called ORBX - I am in Australia, so installed the full Aus package including AI aircraft. Brilliant! Scenery spot on and life-like, and they have many, many other locations, cities, airports etc. As far as I can see, FS2020 will probably never grace my PC (can't afford the time or the cash to upgrade) and I have spent too long (in years) getting FSX to actually work (with interfacing problems, cards that don't respond correctly etc., etc,) to a reasonable standard. So, enjoy what you have and be happy!! Clear skies.

How? I spent 6 hrs downloading FS2020, to an external drive, and then dis-connected it - and there it sits! That's how. HA!

Chuck B

Napamule

I know how you feel. On mine, the sensitivity (no matter how it's adjusted) will, at the slightest touch bank/climb/descend. This is both with my joystick and controller. On FSX they of course work perfectly.

Not kidding, the same happened to me!! My wife and son were at St James Palace event, with various writers and celebrities and Camilla (it was the BBC2's 500 words story finale). I sat outside Buckingham Palace like you watching endless big jets crawl past on finals. Very cool!

Thank you

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Come and follow my recreation of this historic light here: HERE

I am an FDE guy. I recently saw a video of a lady flying a Baron 58TC with a 325 HP turbocharged TIO-520. They didn't make a lot of these, but I recreated that in a new FDE, created a separate 58TC folder, and installed a new livery out of the library. It cruises at over 225 kts at 18,000 ft., but will go into a lot of airports.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I know how you feel. On mine, the sensitivity (no matter how it's adjusted) will, at the slightest touch bank/climb/descend. This is both with my joystick and controller. On FSX they of course work perfectly.

Had that issue also. Finally found the solution. Here's the link to the discussion.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?325258-Flight-model-stability-has-issues-Thoughts/page2

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Trying running the auto-pilot on the Boeing 747-8 on the new MS Simulator 2020. You'll be so frustrated, you'll gladly come back here.

The Auto pilot on the 737-8 in FSX, and the 737-4 in FS9 -- now those are how auto pilots are SUPPOSED to work. You just set them and forget them.

What I've learned is that if you get frustrated enough with FS2020, you'll gladly come back here. Now if only I can get rid of error 1534, I will have attained the top of Maslow's Hierarchy of basic human needs!

I am a scenery person. I have a few titles from Megascenery Earth.

I usually fly the 737-800 on autopilot except lateral movement which I use a joystick. I start from anywhere I think is interesting and follow major roads using Plan-G. The scenery is interesting because there will be original landscape plus human developments If I find it is too boring, I just up the speed.

I tried to do the same on FS2020, but autopilot is a lot more difficult.

• 3 weeks later...
Procedures. By doing every flight as would be for real. Following checks. "Walk Around" Preflight, prestart, runup, mag check, taxi, takeoff, etc. I try to fly by the book. Every plane I have. I have every one saved at my "homebase" KSEG cold and dark and different parking slots. I do touch and go or approach practice if time limited. Friday Nights and Saturday morning real flights with live weather.

Hi all, in respect to keeping FSX interesting, I recently discovered and installed a program called ORBX - I am in Australia, so installed the full Aus package including AI aircraft. Brilliant! Scenery spot on and life-like, and they have many, many other locations, cities, airports etc. As far as I can see, FS2020 will probably never grace my PC (can't afford the time or the cash to upgrade) and I have spent too long (in years) getting FSX to actually work (with interfacing problems, cards that don't respond correctly etc., etc,) to a reasonable standard. So, enjoy what you have and be happy!! Clear skies.

Same here!

CyberPowerPC Desktop Gamer Xtreme Liquid cool GLC3200F Intel i7-4790k 4.0 CPU Z97,NEW-GPU Gigabyte OC GTX1060 6GB ,128GB SSD W10 Home 64-Bit 1TB SATA III- SSD 850 EVO 500GB for FSX only,Force Feedback 2 joystick] Notebook MSI GP62MVR 7RFX i7 7700HQ 2.8/3.8 turbo- 16gb Memory-GPU GTX 1060 6 GB Memory.

• 4 weeks later...

Echoing the anti MSFS 2020 ! At least until it reflects my wants and needs.... Wish the msfs Q's be removed from FSX boards !..

In the mean time on FSX to keep it interesting.lol I have amped up my Airport Design Editing adding docks, lights. boats, Heli Pad etc at my home and Cabin locations. Have added Seaplane flying to my forte and love it. Have also taken my local Airport for home, the Cabin and several others to the next level using ADE.

https://www.scruffyducksoftware.com/shop-and-downloads

FSX. As of now I have 3 laptops all utilizing & linked to FSX, 1 - 32" TV for Gages, 40" TV for Main View. Saitek Pro Flight Control System. Am building a new rig and flight deck. Most likely going to X-Plane 11 for Sim. Also might buy MFS2020 for the pretty Pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
Well Said. Just returned to fsx after many years aay. With memory going I am kept interested by many issues with fsx but still interested in flyinf. eg Scenery not working just standard original scenery and lack of aircraft workings. Keep the interest up. Dont let it go for too long.

• 1 month later...
I know where yoiu are coming from. The Covid thing got me back in front of the computer. Went and bought one that would run FSX! Been furiously building new gauges and panels for the few freeware GA aircraft still out there as well as updating all of my 2d panels and gauges I have built for Milton's aircraft, to fit the 1600 x 900 displays. Spend A lot of time trying to remmebr xml programming as well!!

I find if I keep at least 3 sims installed they collectively generate enough problems with stuff not working as expected than it's always more than "interesting". :)

"Interestingly", my FSX made me "run & trust" all my addon modules and gauges again here a month or so ago, and now it's giving me a 30 min trial period every time I start it. Been installed and working since 2011, I think it's just butthurt because I use P3D v4.5 for 99.9% of my flying now and it's acting like a spoiled little petulant child that's used to getting all the attention. 'Bout to get written outta the will. :mad: