Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saitek or CH?

Default Saitek or CH?

I have no idea, is this a long running coporate struggle in the FS market, it wouldn't suprise me as they seem pretty evenly matched and pretty much the only budget-still-with-quality hardware.
    My view was slightly skewed because in the UK there is one main FS seller called FlightStore (who actually mainly sell real-world aviation stuff but have a huge FS Catalogue as well) but becuase CH Products are only in the US of A, the prices were almost DOUBLE what you see on flightsim.com or othe American sites (presumably to subsidise P&P costs). So I assumed (dangerously) that CH would be better quality, especially as they seemed to include less for example the Saitek ProFlight Yoke has a stopwatch and seperate worth-sixty-pounds throttle quadrant while the CHFlightSimYoke had, well NO bells or whistles.
    But on American sites, the CHYoke is cheaper (as expected) than the Saitek and the higher-standard Eclipse yoke is the now same price as the Saitek.
    The same with the rudder pedals, Saitek are adjustable etc but CH just look like blocks of solid vaguely moulded plastic. Yes, they look heavier duty but does that justify the price for less features?
    So what does everyone use and recommend?
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU [email protected] GHz
    4.00 GB RAM (3GB useable: DDR2)
    Nvidia GEFORCE 9500 512MB Graphics Card
    Windows 7 32-bit

Based on my experience, the Saitek yoke and pedals are outstanding. I've had mine for a number of years and have not failed me at all. The Saitek throttle quadrants, on the other hand, do not favor as well. Mine began spiking severely after 2 years of use....has something to do with potentiometers failing or needing to be cleaned. I tried my best to get mine to work better but I gave up and bought the CH throttle quad. The quad I bought has been working without issues but time will tell if it begins to spike, too. Saitek seems to have an ongoing issue with their throttle quads spiking right out of the box or shortly after using them. I seem to have been lucky in that mine didn't start failing until a couple of good years of use. The CH product seems to be a very sturdy structure and well built, so no issues there....easily mounted on my computer desk with the provided "C" clamps. I didn't have the use the provided software to calibrate the throttle quad....did it all in FSX and FSUIPC (for certain addon aircraft). I just plugged the quad into an open USB port and started flying. No compatability issues while using it with the Saitek yoke and rudder pedals.
    JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,
    8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler
    Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

The CH Products yoke and pedals came first by several years.

They are an excellent product, good quality - but designed to meet a price point where they can be sold to a wide audience. I bought mine about 2002 or 2003.

The Saitek Yoke and Pedals and other accessory line came later - 2005 or so. I bought mine about the time FSX came out. Saitek had experience with joysticks and other controllers before moving to the Yoke and Pedals. Theirs are heavier and will probably stand up to abuse better than the CH items. I really like the Saitek pedals more than the rather bland feeling CH pedals.

Both are excellent. The Saitek is a 'sturdier' product in my opinion. I've only found one problem with either - that if used for both FSX and FS2004 on the same computer, the Saitek is harder to keep 'configured' for FS2004.

Both products need to be cleaned and lubricated (with graphite) every so often - I do mine every January as a habit. Like any open control, the throttles are subject to sticking if they get dirty.
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

Interesting to see what you say about the sturdiness, and thanks for replying. As I say, my view was slightly skewed by UK pricing on imports, so I had assumed the CH products were superior, mainly in build quality as higher purchase price might be because of higher production costs of all that extra physical material.
    Now I think about, putting aside that saitek is actually the more expensive option, it does look sturdier with its smooth edges against the ch's angular ones, te round edges look stronger.
    At the moment, I'm thinking of a ch yoke and saitek pedals, with maybe the ch quadrant if I get any quadrant. In te UK, the ch quadrant is ThREE times as expensive as you are used to it being in the US, I thought it must be amazing, in either build quality or features, probably the former as saitek had same features.and was less than half.the price. Now I know they cost the same, saitek now seems better quality as it has three levers for the price of ch product's six. However, I think I can cope a bit longer without a quadrant, I've used a joystick with a tiny lever for half the time I've been alive so having a yoke with three levers.will still be an improvement. I want to move to a yoke to fly some aircraft more realistically, of course some modern planes use a stick such as airbus and the diamond aviation ga planes like te katana. But all planes have rudder pedals so I think I'll get those first.

Sorry about all the typos, this was written on a HTC with predictive text
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU [email protected] GHz
    4.00 GB RAM (3GB useable: DDR2)
    Nvidia GEFORCE 9500 512MB Graphics Card
    Windows 7 32-bit

When I throw down for a yoke-and-pedals rig, I'm going with Saitek. I've tried them both, and the Saitek stuff does seem to be made better.

But for me the deciding factor is the location of the hat switch for panning in the VC, which is where I do a lot of my flying. On the CH yoke, it's on the right-hand side, which is same side the throttle levers are on. So you have to take your hand off the throttle to adjust your view, which is kind of a pain when you're doing something where both visually scanning and throttle adjustments are required. Something like, oh, say, LANDING. Saitek put the hat on the left side, which makes a lot more sense to me.

I own the Saitek AV8R-01 joystick and love it. The quality is great, and I've had far fewer problems with the pots (dual throttles on a twist-grip stick) spiking than I had with my previous joystick (wingman, I think?). If the yoke is of the same quality (which, in my brief experience, it is) I don't think I'll be disappointed when I upgrade.

I have had my CH yoke and pedals for over 10 years and they are still going strong.

I have the Saitek yoke, two Tq's and pedals. I also have the CH TQ as that was the first one I purchased when they came out. I prefer the Saiteks all around, but I still have my CH TQ in operation as I have the Saiteks mounted on the right hand side of the yoke and the CH mounted on the left side of the yoke. This allows me to set up for the aircraft that uses the left hand for throttle control, like the fighter war birds, and the right hand controls for those planes where the controls are on the right side, all configured with FSUIPC (registered version).

The CH has become a little sloopy in a couple of the levers, but the Saiteks are still going strong.

Oh, I also have the CH pedals but have switched to the Saiteks which I prefer.

I know it's a tough choice, but I'm very pleased with my choices.

Jim D.

Quote Originally Posted by lifejogger View Post
    I have had my CH yoke and pedals for over 10 years and they are still going strong.

Same here. Never had a problem (CH Throttle also works as if new).
    Alex

I'm using the Saitek Yoke with GoFlight throttle quadrants. The GoFlight quadrants are rather pricey but won't die a quick death as the Saitek quadrants did. It's a shame they haven't fixed this problem as the design of them is rather nice. One other common issue with Saitek is the light on the yoke going bad and it starts flashing which got to be so annoying that I put a small clock I picked up from an auto parts store over it to keep from driving me crazy.
    Using CH pedals with no problems.
    I was born on the North Coast, where they coined the phrase that they still call Rock-n-Roll! Asus Maximus VII mb, Wind7 64-240 GB SSD-8GB RAM-IntelCore i7-4790k Haswell Quad Core 4 ghz-GTX 1060-TH2G-2-Saitek Yokes, -2-CH pedals-GFTQ6 throt, 49" Samsung Monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by benEggleston16 View Post
    they look heavier duty but does that justify the price for less features?
    Hello !

How they look can be important, but then you're only talking about the case. A lot more important is to know how they work. Do you care more about the look of your computer case, your mouse or monitor, or do you care more about what's inside, the technical specifications ?

My recommendation: avoid potentiometers. They're not precise and they're not sustainable. Lifetime: about 6 months, a little more if you always fly with an autopilot.

I asked about the technology, the sustainability, the sensors, the resolution, the latency, but it looks like most people are ready to pay a lot, and change their yoke hardware every year and just don't care about the quality of the technology inside. I started a topic here.

It's possible to find very precise magnetic or optical sensors in $35 joysticks. Why not in yokes ? Why is this technology only available as an option in very expensive PFC hardware ?

Happy flying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast