Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A clarification from the prepar3d team.

Quote Originally Posted by manusoftar View Post

Also P3D has mayor improvements on graphic quality, it looks way better than FSX.

My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Sounds like a clear case of 'have our cake and eat it too'.

I never really understood the commercial model for P3d. They knew, full well, that a major chunk of their market would come from consumers yet they maintain this pretense that it's 'for professionals' - which perhaps it is - but it's not the best option in the market. (my opinion)

What kept the wind in P3d's sales was Microsoft's complete departure from the Flight Simulation market. Now that Microsoft is back, I think P3d is a seriously hard sell just being what it is let alone all the confusion and malarkey that Lockheed puts on top of it.

Once we see the major players start to appear in MSFS (PMDG, etc) - P3d's marketshare will start to evaporate rapidly. Lockheed is at a crossroads now and I think the only way forward for them is to:
    1. Think about completely overhauling/developing a new product
    2. Reflect on their true customer base and focus on it rather than trying to be a Commercial player in a consumer market.

If they want to focus on consumers, then they need to up their game massively. If they want to focus on commercial, then there's a lot in their product right now that they absolutely don't need - and a lot they need to add in.
    Last edited by WillyCanuck; 03-09-2021 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WillyCanuck View Post
    Sounds like a clear case of 'have our cake and eat it too'.

I never really understood the commercial model for P3d. They knew, full well, that a major chunk of their market would come from consumers yet they maintain this pretense that it's 'for professionals' - which perhaps it is - but it's not the best option in the market. (my opinion)

What kept the wind in P3d's sales was Microsoft's complete departure from the Flight Simulation market. Now that Microsoft is back, I think P3d is a seriously hard sell just being what it is let alone all the confusion and malarkey that Lockheed puts on top of it.
    You assume, incorrectly, that Microsoft is back. They haven't done any more than farm it (the sim) to outside contractors!

And the quality of thir work is woeful at this point, and certainly no competition for Lockheed-Martin!
    It looks `pretty`, I grant you, but I have a motorcycle like that, and it hasn't left the garage in more than a year....

Quote Originally Posted by WillyCanuck View Post
    I never really understood the commercial model for P3d. They knew, full well, that a major chunk of their market would come from consumers yet they maintain this pretense that it's 'for professionals' - which perhaps it is - but it's not the best option in the market.
    The end-user licence question has been around for so long that I'm perpetually surprised by the scant mention anywhere of the fact that Lockheed Martin did not buy -- or Microsoft did not sell -- the entertainment licence for the software. The result of that is that LM are not legally permitted to sell P3d as a game.

ACES or not, I suspect MS were playing a long game.

Talk about greed head bull crap on Microsoft's part.

Next thing you know they'll sell Office as a service and stick loads of telemetry in its latest version of Windows.

Oh wait...

The day when a simulator comes out with better more realistic ATC with SID and STAR, holding patterns and what not ability is the day I'll be interested in a new Sim. Until then, meh. Was waiting for the guinea pigs to report their findings on FS2020 and so far the verdict is = crap. LOL
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 03-11-2021 at 05:21 AM.
    OOM errors? Read this.
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    T... and so far the verdict is = crap.
    MSFS' graphics quality is a great leap forward, you've got to admit that. Noting crappy about MSFS' stunning scenery.

But, I too am in standby mode ... for lack of modern military planes in MSFS plus just so much not working as it should, not finished. Plus my FSX rig still works and looks great. And though I could have run P3D (I modify airports, aircraft, so that makes me a developer, right, right?), I never wanted to support such a flaky, wink-wink-nudge-nudge business model, never wanted to join the post-truth "we can do anything we want because we want to" EULA-ignoring crowd.
    Last edited by ftldave; 03-11-2021 at 02:03 PM. Reason: fix txt

I have a felling "graphics" was the major marketing point of FS2020. For a Sim that's important, but the major part of a Sim would be its ability for that as real as it gets interaction withen the Sim its self. I mean, we are simulating real life flight here, correct? It's cute the graphics look nice and all, but when the ATC is no different than FSX, FS2004 and even FS2002 then I just gotta say, c'mon!

Yeah, the reported bugs that need to be ironed out is not really appetizing. Maybe five - decades from now I'll pick it up on Steam. LOL
    OOM errors? Read this.

Quote Originally Posted by defaid View Post
    The end-user licence question has been around for so long that I'm perpetually surprised by the scant mention anywhere of the fact that Lockheed Martin did not buy -- or Microsoft did not sell -- the entertainment licence for the software. The result of that is that LM are not legally permitted to sell P3d as a game.
    I don't think either side was interested. Microsoft wanted to keep the option open to relaunch the franchise, and LM has absolutely no interest or experience marketing software to an entertainment-based audience. They're selling a simulator platform to deep-pocketed entities, not a game for $50 to people who would easily demand more than that in support.

They sell enough to individuals to provide testing and a larger audience for enhancements and ideas, but it's sufficiently small that MS turns a blind eye to it because a proper MS simulator will be far more appealing to a mass market than P3D ever will.

Cheers!

Luke

Far North Coast, New South Wales, Australia

Interesting to sit on the fence and see this farce play out! CRJ_simpilot, that cranky old man, is it seems to me is on the money, plus other posters here. Fun to read.
    Last edited by MAD1; 03-17-2021 at 03:36 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345