Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: How Well Does Paul Varn's SR-71 Package Work?

1. Default How Well Does Paul Varn's SR-71 Package Work?

Would like to know if anybody has downloaded an tried paul r. varn's sr-71 package here? If so would like to know how well it worked? Any and all replies appreciated. Searched here but found now comments about it. tks.
    Last edited by Nels_Anderson; 05-31-2013 at 10:42 AM.

I downloaded the FSX Varn job but the installation procedure seemed a bit too complicated for me so i chickened out and never did install it, but you can always have a crack at it yourself, it's freeware so you've got zilch to lose, that's the only surefire way to find out if any addons work in FSX..

(PS- I fly an old freeware FS2004 SR-71 from Alphasim myself which works pretty good in FSX)

It says in the description that it is based on the alphasim sr71. It does look complicated. Is there a place any more to download the alphasim SR71?
    68,000 lbs of thrust..... "Excellent!" --Montgomery Burns, Simpsons tv show

Quote Originally Posted by angels355 View Post
    It says in the description that it is based on the alphasim sr71. It does look complicated. Is there a place any more to download the alphasim SR71?
    Alphasim Freeware Directory: http://www.easyfly.co.nz/Freeware/index.php

I just looks complicated! Each of the first 5 zips is a segment of the plane/gauges/effects. The 6th zip is the manual in html format.(Skimming through it now!)

From what I have, the Alpha version is not necessary. Paul Varn's version is a complete plane. I'll let you know how she flies, when I've learned how to do it right!...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Quote Originally Posted by fxsttcb View Post
    Alphasim Freeware Directory: http://www.easyfly.co.nz/Freeware/index.php

I just looks complicated! Each of the first 5 zips is a segment of the plane/gauges/effects. The 6th zip is the manual in html format.(Skimming through it now!)

From what I have, the Alpha version is not necessary. Paul Varn's version is a complete plane. I'll let you know how she flies, when I've learned how to do it right!...Don
    Thanks very much Don. As always you are very generous with your time. The Q9450 that you helped me build is running well!

I think i also read something about FSUIPC (?) being needed to fly the Varn kite, whatever that means

Quote Originally Posted by ScatterbrainKid View Post
    I think i also read something about FSUIPC (?) being needed to fly the Varn kite, whatever that means
    Not sure what a kite is, but often FSUIPC is used to operate some instruments as I understand it. It is a free download, but I believe there is a pro version also, but I think everyone usually uses the free version.

FSUIPC is an interface between FSX and addons. Both software and hardware. Several addons require FSUIPC and a freeware version is available.
    Many however do purchase the payware version because with it you can set up your joystick/yoke and there are several advanced features for weather and data logging etc

Harro

Quote Originally Posted by angels355 View Post
    Not sure what a kite is, but often FSUIPC is used to operate some instruments as I understand it. It is a free download, but I believe there is a pro version also, but I think everyone usually uses the free version.
    Kite=Aircraft! The registered version of FSUIPC also allows a lot more controls tweaking and weather smoothing.

For the Varn SR-71; It flies pretty good. It's looks are the same, with no real difference from the FS9 Alphasim version and those Alphasim extra liveries will work with it.
    The AP Alt Hold can get you in trouble if your speed settings are not per the manual. I suggest manually flying the altitude until you get to your target FL.
    The Heading entry won't decrement, only increment, so, Hdg Hold->Off, set Heading(careful not to overshoot), Hdg Hold->On, is how I handled that.
    Set your landing config up well in advance. You will have to concentrate, big time, to put 'er down nice and easy.
    Other than those few issues I found, I did a few cross-country flights just fine.

The Glowingheat(http://www.glowingheat.co.uk/) - SR-71 Blackbird in the Pilot Shop($35) is from the original creator of the Alphasim versions, with a full FSX native model...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Quote Originally Posted by fxsttcb View Post
    Kite=Aircraft! The registered version of FSUIPC also allows a lot more controls tweaking and weather smoothing.

For the Varn SR-71; It flies pretty good. It's looks are the same, with no real difference from the FS9 Alphasim version and those Alphasim extra liveries will work with it.
    The AP Alt Hold can get you in trouble if your speed settings are not per the manual. I suggest manually flying the altitude until you get to your target FL.
    The Heading entry won't decrement, only increment, so, Hdg Hold->Off, set Heading(careful not to overshoot), Hdg Hold->On, is how I handled that.
    Set your landing config up well in advance. You will have to concentrate, big time, to put 'er down nice and easy.
    Other than those few issues I found, I did a few cross-country flights just fine.

The Glowingheat(http://www.glowingheat.co.uk/) - SR-71 Blackbird in the Pilot Shop($35) is from the original creator of the Alphasim versions, with a full FSX native model...Don
    Thanks Don. I have tried the Alpha SR71, it is better than any other I've tried. I'll check into the glowing heat SR71, thanks for the info. I got the Alpha sim up to FL960 if I recall, but barely it had a high angle of attack to stay there like it was barely making it. But above OR I could see all the way to the N border of WA! Just thought I would mention the SR71 never had flaps for landing. In the old SR71 models from FS98 it had flaps, I would fly it without flaps and it worked fine. If I recall I used to fly a modified "Snot Rocket" SR71. There was also a great XB70A in FS98 that flew beautifully, I liked FS98. Want to get the payware X15 package. There is a payware C5 Galaxy that looks very nice, but nobody seems to like it. I've flown the Stone C5 a lot. Do you know of a really good C5? Sorry to go off topic.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast