Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: After trying missions, challenges, and freeflights, I've put it aside.

Quote Originally Posted by benny1 View Post
    Why buy these little scenery areas ? you might as well buy FSX for 20$ get a dozen nice planes , download OZX and your set. I will purchase Flight the day they offer it on dvd with a large seasonal area , like Northeast USA or something .
    Me too just a game FSX is for real flyers I think it stinks !
    Last edited by JSkorna; 03-12-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Language

I guess I'm not Ramjett, "ace of planes" afterall.

I first tried Flight about a week ago and did some missions, challenges and freeflights. The landscape was good, the plane model was good and the landscape was good. I thought the Ikon was a poor introductory plane since it was slow and underpowered and too easy to fly. I decided to sign on to Win Live and get the Stearman for free and fly that. It is a nice looking plane and flying it well was easy but it is a tough one to land without flap controls and it took me dozens of attempts to keep from crashing and dozens more to keep it on the RW. The challenges and missions have do-overs so I was grateful for that.

So I have found Flight to be a good looking game although devoid of life, vehicles, or planes so it feels more arcade and game-like to me. The intro aircraft are well modelled and fly well but are slow fliers and lack controls and boy do I wish the same keystrokes from FS9 and FSX would work in Flight. The terrain is well modelled and the effect of wind and turbulence feels pretty believable. I have no experience with any addon packages or aircraft.

I will keep this on my laptop because it gives me a portable flying rig and even though it is less realistic using a mouse to fly, it is flying and I can't run FSX or FS9 on my laptop. FSX is still my choice but Flight has merit to me as well.

Laptop fliers and those with less powerful computers may constitute the largest market share for Flight but I can't see any action seeking kid thinking it is anything other than DOA or lame. Without the third party addons beeing made available I think Flight is going to be a tough sell to serious simmers. Its free for the intro package and as I said, I'll keep it on my laptop until a better program becomes available that my laptop can handle.

good flights, Cal

lost between how it is and how it ought to be

Quote Originally Posted by ramjett View Post
    I thought the Ikon was a poor introductory plane since it was slow and underpowered and too easy to fly....
    One of the missions of Flight is to introduce the idea of flying to new people. Having a plane like the Icon helps with that.

It (Stearman) is a nice looking plane and flying it well was easy but it is a tough one to land without flap controls and it took me dozens of attempts to keep from crashing and dozens more to keep it on the RW.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of early taildraggers. If they were easy to fly we would not have tricycle gear planes with flaps.

I think the Stearman is a good match with the Icon, sort of a yin yang.

... do I wish the same keystrokes from FS9 and FSX would work in Flight.
    You are aware that you can change the key commands?

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Mistah Bean,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm trying not to be too negative so I really appreciate other viewpoints and your points are well taken. I will take a look at reassigning the keystrokes, I didn't think to do that after my joystick settings went away. In FSX I've flown several taildraggers and had much better results. Perhaps it is , as you say, supposed to be as hard as I found it to be in Flight. I'm still working on those landings.

good flights, Cal

Blog Entries

Mistah Bean,

In FSX I've flown several taildraggers and had much better results. Perhaps it is , as you say, supposed to be as hard as I found it to be in Flight. I'm still working on those landings.

good flights, Cal
    Flight may be more realistic than FSX in this aspect. Lol!

You negative nellies... this thread's soon to be locked... LOL

Blog Entries

I will say that much about flight: It's the first title of any kind that I feel has even close to reproducing tail dragger ground handling.
    FAA Certified Flight Instructor, ATP/Commercial Pilot and Airframe/Powerplant mechanic CFI/CFII/MEII/ATP-MEL/A&P
    American Corporate Pilot

AMD X6 1090T black edition CPU, liquid cooled
    NVIDIA GTX 480 1.5Gb GPU
    8G DDR3-1600 RAM
    3TB storage, plain hard drives

...It's the first title of any kind that I feel has even close to reproducing tail dragger ground handling.
    I have to agree with that. It certainly takes some concentration and finesse on the deck. Shades of my pollywogging, early learning, on a J-3.
    Has anyone found a way to reduce control sensitivity in Flight? My CH pedals are way too responsive. Half kick results in full rudder deflection...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Yep I just open it fly around a little and close it. Hey what the heck it's free why not just use it. What they do with it is what people are waiting for I guess.

lost between how it is and how it ought to be

Quote Originally Posted by fxsttcb View Post
    Has anyone found a way to reduce control sensitivity in Flight?
    The folks over in the Flight forum at Avsim have had a bunch of discussions about adjusting control sensitivities.

There are some great tips in the Tutorials section of their forum.

Rather than shouting at the wind about whether Flight is a sim or not they are actually talking about ways to tweak what we have to an individuals desire.

Note that I do not have pedals so what follows is not guaranteed to work, but I am happy with the tweaks I made for my Logitech 3D stick.

To adjust sensitivities you need to edit the standard.xml located in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Flight\Players\someHEXcode\Career\Controls

Look through that file till you find the entries for your pedals.

I expect you will need to edit <AxScale>1.000000</AxScale> and <AxNull>0.100000</AxNull>.

Decreasing <AxScale>1.000000</AxScale> should decrease sensitivity and decreasing <AxNull>0.100000</AxNull> should increase the null zone.

It has been reported that changing the default values too much can reduce your ability to perform certain aerobatic maneuvers. Tweak to meet your desired results.

As always, backup standard.xml before editing.

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast