Thread: Installing FSX in Windows 7 SP1 in other than C:\program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games?

1. Smile Installing FSX in Windows 7 SP1 in other than C:\program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games?

Hi..

Help me with this. I wanted to install FSX in my hard disk but instead of install it in the default folder which is folder C:\program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X...., i would like to install it in newly created folder in D:/ . My question is it ok to do that? Would there be any issues or complication arise during my first installation of FSX, during installation of any kind of Add-on related to FSX or patch since the folder is somewhere in the folder of D:/ ? Please give me advice on this before i proceed the installation. For your information my PC specs is Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1, Intel i7-2600 3.40GHz, DX10, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 550 Ti...

Thanks

There are many posts and many opinions on this but the bottom line is, FSX works just fine in its default location, if you install to a different location, then every addon you install will have to be manually pointed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PPSFA View Post
    There are many posts and many opinions on this but the bottom line is, FSX works just fine in its default location, if you install to a different location, then every addon you install will have to be manually pointed to it.
    The problem is, it's a "system" folder. You have to turn off UAC or provide Administrator Permission to incorporate changes. It's kinda "six of one, half a dozen of the other"!
    Your D:\ location will be fine, and can give a minor performance boost if FSX, and only FSX, is installed on that drive. Keep it on a regular defrag(no SSD) schedule and fly...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Quote Originally Posted by azmida127 View Post
    Hi..

Help me with this. I wanted to install FSX in my hard disk but instead of install it in the default folder which is folder C:\program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X...., i would like to install it in newly created folder in D:/ . My question is it ok to do that? Would there be any issues or complication arise during my first installation of FSX, during installation of any kind of Add-on related to FSX or patch since the folder is somewhere in the folder of D:/ ? Please give me advice on this before i proceed the installation. For your information my PC specs is Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1, Intel i7-2600 3.40GHz, DX10, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 550 Ti...

Thanks
    Absolutely no problem installing FSX outside of the default loaction.
    As a matter of fact, it is generally recommended that you NOT to unstall it in the default location as Windows "protects" anything within these folders and has been shown to cause numerous problems with the install and configuration of addons.
    Intel i7 [email protected] / Swiftech X3 / Gigabyte Aorus 7 Gaming / 16 GB G.Skill DDR4 3200
    500GB WD SSD (Win 10 Pro 64-bit) / 500GB Samsung 960 Pro (P3Dv4) / 240GB SanDisk SSD (P3D Misc.)
    480GB SanDisk SSD (General Storage) / EVGA GTX1080/ Seasonic Platinum 850 watt

I've installed FSX on an SSD (K:/FSX) and have no problems and also found that almost all addons will find it because it palaces its location in the Registry.

Quote Originally Posted by noell View Post
    Absolutely no problem installing FSX outside of the default loaction.
    As a matter of fact, it is generally recommended that you NOT to install it in the default location as Windows "protects" anything within these folders and has been shown to cause numerous problems with the install and configuration of addons.
    That's right, and don't forget to (temporarely) disable the UAC security function (User Account Control) when you install FSX things in Windows 7 : this can save you a lot of trouble !
    Last edited by Bartbear; 02-19-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    I5 2500K @ 4.3 Ghz / ASUS P8Z68 M-PRO / 8 GB 1600 DDR3 RAM / ASUS GTX 570 DCII 1.28 GB / Intel SSD320 160 GB / WD Caviar Black 1 TB / Windows 7 64 bit // Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - 2x Throttle Quadrant // FS2 > FS4 > FS5.1 > FS98 > FS2002 > FS2004 > FSX tuned by KOSTA +FEX+GEX+UTX.

No need to disable anything if FS is installed OUTSIDE of the Program Files path.