Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Dissed The X-Plane 10 Demo But Am Impressed After Playing With Full Version

Default I Dissed The X-Plane 10 Demo But Am Impressed After Playing With Full Version

My MSFS usage dates back to '87 when version II was released for the Atari XE. I've used every version up to FSX, currently use FS9 and have experimented with friend's FSX installations as part of my work and work requirements. Anyhow, I quickly tried the XP10 demo when it was released and toyed around a bit and found the night lighting to be very nice. Today, I was working with a customer of mine who owns a full XP10 copy.........to make the long story short, I spent hours with it and am really, really impressed. To the point where I am going to buy a copy and hope that add-ons become available. If we were to see quality photoscenery and at least one of the airport developers like FSDreamteam develop for X-Plane, you'd be holding yourself back not to jump into X-Plane. I actually noticed why people have been saying all along that the flight dynamics are better.......they are. I'm sold. The truth is XP10 has stuff FS9/FSX simply can't do. As far as I am concerned, the only thing that FS9/FSX have going strong is the amount of add-ons. I'm still simming with my FS9, but if they ever come out with a few quality airports, some photoscenery and WOAI equivalents, I'm crossing over permanently.
    Ricardo
    FSThrottle.com

San Diego, California, United States of America.

The thing going short on XPlane is that their AI environment is still not up to par with FS. So they still have a lot to work out. Including their ATC since both ATC and the AI traffic have to both work together. That's one of the short comings of XPlane. That's why I keep saying that they still have a lot to work out on their simulator for it to even equal that of any of the later FS versions like FS9 or FSX.

What they do have a strong point is in the flight dynamics of an aircraft. See the flight dynamics work in there by calculating the fluid dynamics of an aircraft through the air. That's why you can experiment with different wing and body designs and come close to see how a real version can behave in the air. And this is why I say that X-Plane is ideal for those that love to experiment and be like a test pilot. It's really not meant for those that are in it only for the scenery. The scenery is only there as a plus.
    Edwin

Please note that this is the first time for AI. Just remember how FS was the first time it had AI traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by ED_4 View Post
    The thing going short on XPlane is that their AI environment is still not up to par with FS. So they still have a lot to work out. Including their ATC since both ATC and the AI traffic have to both work together. That's one of the short comings of XPlane. That's why I keep saying that they still have a lot to work out on their simulator for it to even equal that of any of the later FS versions like FS9 or FSX.

What they do have a strong point is in the flight dynamics of an aircraft. See the flight dynamics work in there by calculating the fluid dynamics of an aircraft through the air. That's why you can experiment with different wing and body designs and come close to see how a real version can behave in the air. And this is why I say that X-Plane is ideal for those that love to experiment and be like a test pilot. It's really not meant for those that are in it only for the scenery. The scenery is only there as a plus.
    What's the biggest issue with their AI? That's something I know nothing about or experimented with. I am the sort that would forgive ATC if the simulator is VATSIM capable. Is that the case with XP10? I would have liked more time with the sim.........I'm just going to buy it, but in the time I was using it, I was beyond impressed with the flight dynamics and the superb night flying environment. That was pretty top notch. I think X-Plane does have potential, whether it be with this version or the next.
    Ricardo
    FSThrottle.com

Can a add-on package from a third party developer fix the AI shortcomings?

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo_NY1 View Post
    ...you'd be holding yourself back not to jump into X-Plane. I actually noticed why people have been saying all along that the flight dynamics are better.......they are.
    I've always known the FS9/FSX flight dynamics were flawed (e.g. the rudder effect in a bank is bizarre, and the tyres have zero grip on a runway) but i stuck with it because the graphics are prettier than XP10.
    I had an old version of XP some years ago but might get 10 to see how it compares.

EDIT-on second thoughts i won't bother with XP10; i've just watched it in a few youtube vids and the scenery is bloody awful, so i'll stick with FSX.
    I mean, if you're dating a pretty girl (FSX), why ditch her and start dating a less pretty one (XP10)?..
    Last edited by ScatterbrainKid; 02-19-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScatterbrainKid View Post
    I've always known the FS9/FSX flight dynamics were flawed (e.g. the rudder effect in a bank is bizarre, and the tyres have zero grip on a runway) but i stuck with it because the graphics are prettier than XP10.
    I had an old version of XP some years ago but might get 10 to see how it compares.

EDIT-on second thoughts i won't bother with XP10; i've just watched it in a few youtube vids and the scenery is bloody awful, so i'll stick with FSX.
    I mean, if you're dating a pretty girl (FSX), why ditch her and start dating a less pretty one (XP10)?..
    Cause the pretty girl is wearing make-up that the ugly girl has no access to! What I'm saying is that if they came out with Ultimate Terrain/Ground Environment type add-ons along with some photoscenery packages like those found for FSX, X-Plane should look just as good..........possibly better considering what can be done with the lighting. The day ground textures are nothing to boast about, but that's something that scenery developers can enhance.
    Ricardo
    FSThrottle.com

Hello !

I spent hours with it and am really, really impressed. To the point where I am going to buy a copy and hope that add-ons become available. If we were to see quality photoscenery and at least one of the airport developers like FSDreamteam develop for X-Plane, you'd be holding yourself back not to jump into X-Plane.
    I also hope more and more developers will start creating add-ons for X-Plane, but don't forget, most X-Plane 9 sceneries and planes are compatible with X-Plane 10. You can also find tools like FS2XPlane if you want to convert your FS2004 sceneries for X-Plane, but read the EULA of your sceneries first.

Read these pages to get news about X-Plane add-ons:
    http://xplane10.wordpress.com/
    http://forums.x-pilot.com/
    http://armchairaviation.com/
    http://x-plane.org/
    http://www.realscenery.com/

Happy flying.

San Diego, California, United States of America.

What's the biggest issue with their AI? That's something I know nothing about or experimented with. I am the sort that would forgive ATC if the simulator is VATSIM capable. Is that the case with XP10? I would have liked more time with the sim.........I'm just going to buy it, but in the time I was using it, I was beyond impressed with the flight dynamics and the superb night flying environment. That was pretty top notch. I think X-Plane does have potential, whether it be with this version or the next.
    The limitations with their AI handling is that ATC chokes at a certain number. Something that FS9 and FSX has already somewhat overcome. It is said that the ATC start doing strange things after only so much has been saturated in the airspace. If the AI traffic were to even reach the levels we are well comfortable with in the WOAI levels, then that can overwhelm the ATC.

In my WOAI, MAIW and PAI combined setup in FS9 its nothing to worry about, ATC still does work and continues without any problem. And I've had my airspace as saturated as over 500 planes within the same area as where I'm flying and don't see anything going bad on the way ATC works. I don't think that would be the case in the XPlane environment.

Have you ever noticed that the XPlane display shots are always of lone airplanes(there may be some with one or two of them there). I don't see them with any shots with a fully AI traffic filled airport along with any dynamic ground traffic like you might even see in FSX. When I mean AI traffic filled, I mean like we can see in some of the shots I've posted on FS9. (Just do a search of all my screen shots on the screen shots forum.) These include some airports with even tons of parked AI traffic.

As I said, I know without a doubt that XPlane flight dynamics are way above even that of FSX. As the way FS handles the flight dynamics of an airplane is somewhat of a guess work more than true fluid dynamics like that handled in XPlane. In this section they don't need to worry about. And that goes the same with their static world scenery except for details in certain airports. (Yes addons can fix these.)

But if you're going to buy XPlane and expect it to work 100% like FS9 or X, then you'd be disappointed. I would suggest you still keep whatever FS version you're using and still have it available and not ditch it 100% for XPlane. There are still some things that need to be worked out with XPlane for it to be 100% in equal par with FS9 or FSX versions of Microsoft. And until Laminar Research get their fixes on those things, they still have some way to go for it to be with totally equal level on how MSFS is.
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by vlooi View Post
    Can a add-on package from a third party developer fix the AI shortcomings?
    Not yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast