Microsoft Flight Fact Sheet

Nels_Anderson

Don't understand what all the tech-speak is about but I can certainly vouch in favor of the simple Xbox 360 wired controller because I have used it for over a year flawlessly in both FSX and FS9 before I got a proper joystick.

And yes, the Xbox 360 controller also works with almost every other game I've played on PC, which include the likes of Need For Speed and Dirt series.

http://www.vafinancials.com/v5/plugins/vafs_status.php?cs=svag9499&c=0

In computing, DirectInput is a Microsoft API for collecting input from a computer user, via input devices such as the mouse, keyboard, joystick or other game controllers. It also provides a system for action mapping, which allows the user to assign specific actions within a game to the buttons and axes of the input devices. Additionally it handles force-feedback (input/output) devices. Microsoft introduced a new input library called XInput in DirectX 9 (December 2002) specifically for the Xbox 360 controller.

-wikipedia

XInput is an API that allows applications to receive input from the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows. This document describes the differences between XInput and DirectInput implementations of the Xbox 360 Controller and how you can support XInput devices and legacy DirectInput devices at the same time.

-MSDN

Now jim.. you need to understand one thing... I'm the evil Bill, So don't try to put me down because I like to share, I'm just not as refined at my age. But the fact is I own all three of those controllers as well as a 360, and I know that if you buy a game off steam you best look for the icon that indicates it supports the 360 controller. Not a problem since most games were initially written using the Xinput libraries these days because they were intended for the 360 not the PC. So no you just can't assume your 360 controller will work with every game you buy for the pc. And no FSX doesn't take advantage of the full capabilities of the 360 controller it's an emulation at best. :)

Sorry I don't work in retail.. nor do I control prices MS does. And if they want people to buy Xbox controllers next month I'm not surprised they changed the prices. The fact remains FSX does not support all the features because you actually need the Xlibraries, not the DirectX ones.

I have been playing FS since version 4 and am looking forward to the release of Flight. I used a number of different joysticks over the years and finally needed to replace the last one I broke a few years ago (Why can't they make a decent reasonably priced joystick that will hold up for more than 6 months) and decided to try a gamepad. I have always liked the way the XBox 360 controller fits in my hands so I spent the $45 on the wired XBox Controller for Windows and hooked it up to my PC. Windows recognized it right away and I didn't have to load the included drivers. FS9 recognized it right away and I set about mapping the controls, including the D-Pad, to the functions I wanted quick access to. I had 12 buttons that I could map plus the triggers to act as rudder pedals. It certainly doesn't have the same feel as a joystick when you are flying, but for me that was a mental thing anyway. I was pretending to fly so I felt better about having a pretend control stick to use. But once I got used to the feel of the gamepad and how light it is compared to the last couple of sticks I had used I have never looked back. It is also way easier to pack for when I travel.

When I moved to FSX I moved my gamepad along with me and FSX also recognized the XBox controller right away. 15 minutes re-mapping the controls to my old FS9 settings and I was up and running again. FSX also recognized all the buttons and controls on the gamepad. The right stick (the one I use to look around with) did work differently in FSX than it did in FS9 but that was the only real difference.

There are wired and wireless XBox 360 Controllers for Windows and obviously the wireless one is more expensive, it includes a rechargeable battery, a transceiver and a USB dongle to connect the gamepad to the PC. So it just makes sense that it would cost more. At $33.99 for the wired http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWLA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1330015334&sr=8-4 and $43.99 for the wireless one http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330015334&sr=8-1 they are about the same price or a little bit cheaper than a good multi button joystick that would actually hold up for awhile.

And in the spirit of full disclosure, I don't work for Microsoft. I have just been using their products for over 30 years and for the most part like them. This has all been my opinion and you are free to agree or disagree with it as you choose. :-)

Just a quick controller xbox360 that is 2cents....

I bought XPadder... it is a great little app and can simulate almost anything on a keyboard or mouse to a controller.... so you can use it to map mouse movements etc to your XBox 360 controller (all of this on PC of course). I even used my 360 controller as a windows media remote by mapping my keyboard to it. It can be handy for adding common functions like gear up etc to the buttons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What part of the NDA allows you to discuss any aspect of Flight outside of the beta group? We're all yearning for more info, but, a deal's a deal...Don

At face value you're correct... however, if he had his fingers crossed... well then, all bets are off.

Why are you quoting something from 2+ months ago and adds nothing to this thread?

Hi Mr. Jim... I'm assuming you're referencing my reply being as how you replied directly after my post. My humble apologies. I will certainly go back and read the rules of the forum that state a person can not reply to a thread if it's older. I also recognize that any form of "humor" should be well thought out and not inserted into a thread because we're not here to laugh.

Again, I apologize for my disregard of the forum rules and I thank you for your diligence as a moderator to publicly admonish me for my lack of understanding of the rules and what's appropriate.

Keep up the good work... now you'll excuse me as I have some forum rules to read.

That's sarcasm, right? I'll bet that's sarcasm... Yes! Nailed it! Booyah! ;) — Bob

OK Jim, you can close the thread now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

That's sarcasm, right? I'll bet that's sarcasm... Yes! Nailed it! Booyah! ;) — Bob

OK Jim, you can close the thread now.

(Mith hears the jingling of the proverbial keys that lock threads approaching)...

Hey, Jim is doing a good job. I have nothing bad to say about him. It takes a LOT of dedication to read all the crap we members write even if we're always misguided in what we're supposed to say!

Now back on topic.... (what was the topic again?)