Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery disks and reformatting, my first time and it isn't going smooth

Blog Entries

Default Recovery disks and reformatting, my first time and it isn't going smooth

I'm trying to do a clean wipe on my computer, and it's doing it's best to not work. I get this:

copy file (that's the name of the pop-up window that comes up while still on my first disk. The recovery disks are brand new.)

Invalid MS-DOS function.

PREINST6.SWM
    Type: SWM File
    Size 644MB
    Date Modified 9/2/2009 11:25 AM

Then I have the options to try again, skip or cancel.

Any ideas as to what on earth this means?
    FAA Certified Flight Instructor, ATP/Commercial Pilot and Airframe/Powerplant mechanic CFI/CFII/MEII/ATP-MEL/A&P
    American Corporate Pilot

AMD X6 1090T black edition CPU, liquid cooled
    NVIDIA GTX 480 1.5Gb GPU
    8G DDR3-1600 RAM
    3TB storage, plain hard drives

Is this OS an OEM disk or did you purchase a retail version of the OS? Maybe it's late, but I have don't see what version of Windows you are trying to reformat.
    Bob G.
    Intel i7 7700K 4.5 Ghz, GTX 1080 SC 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Samsung 500Gb SSHD, 750W PSU, P3DV4, Windows 10 64 bit Home Premium.REX,GEX,UTX. UTLive

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bgets View Post
    Is this OS an OEM disk or did you purchase a retail version of the OS? Maybe it's late, but I have don't see what version of Windows you are trying to reformat.
    Bob G.
    These are the default recovery disks for a Windows 7 installation on a Toshiba laptop.

Does it matter if it's a new hard drive? Is that what's holding me up?

Thanks for the fast response. I'm trying to get after this tonight.
    FAA Certified Flight Instructor, ATP/Commercial Pilot and Airframe/Powerplant mechanic CFI/CFII/MEII/ATP-MEL/A&P
    American Corporate Pilot

NVIDIA GTX 480 1.5Gb GPU
    8G DDR3-1600 RAM

Many OEM recovery disks pull data from a hidden partition on the original drive. If you've replaced the hard drive, the OEM recovery program won't be able to find the files it needs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    Many OEM recovery disks pull data from a hidden partition on the original drive. If you've replaced the hard drive, the OEM recovery program won't be able to find the files it needs.
    What's the fix?
    American Corporate Pilot

NVIDIA GTX 480 1.5Gb GPU
    8G DDR3-1600 RAM

Use something like Acronis True Image or O&O DiskImage to move the contents of the original drive to the new one. Or go out and buy an OEM or retail copy of Windows and install that instead. Personally I like having my own copy of Windows that isn't loaded up with whatever "extras" the OEM decided to throw in.

These are the default recovery disks for a Windows 7 installation on a Toshiba laptop.
    Just noticed this comment. Are these the original disks for this specific system? If not, what happened to the originals?

Blog Entries

Use something like Acronis True Image or O&O DiskImage to move the contents of the original drive to the new one. Or go out and buy an OEM or retail copy of Windows and install that instead. Personally I like having my own copy of Windows that isn't loaded up with whatever "extras" the OEM decided to throw in.

Just noticed this comment. Are these the original disks for this specific system? If not, what happened to the originals?
    I have no idea where the originals are, so I asked the manufacturer to send me a new set. The old hard drive took a dive due to being frequently dumped to off while dealing with a virus.
    American Corporate Pilot

NVIDIA GTX 480 1.5Gb GPU
    8G DDR3-1600 RAM

It may be possible to borrow another win 7 disk(same version 32/64b), install it, then use your recovery disks to correct it.
    I've never tried anything like that, just sharing a thought...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fxsttcb View Post
    It may be possible to borrow another win 7 disk(same version 32/64b), install it, then use your recovery disks to correct it.
    I've never tried anything like that, just sharing a thought...Don
    I thought that the recovery and windows discs were pretty much synonymous?
    American Corporate Pilot

NVIDIA GTX 480 1.5Gb GPU
    8G DDR3-1600 RAM

This is what prompted my thought:
    As I didn't/don't know if that would be the case, I had the idea that possibly a windows install, then recovery, might be what you need.
    I don't have a clue what is, and/or isn't, on a "recovery" disk, compared to a full installation disk...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast