Thread: How do I get rid of trees in FS9

1. Default How do I get rid of trees in FS9

Hi. I'd like to get into creating scenery in FS9. I want to start small, making modification to the default airport 1WA6 (Fall City, WA). Currently there is only a short asphault runway cut out in the middle of the forest. I have FS Flatten and AFCAD 2.1 (I also have Runway12 and it's libraries). My goal is to add the airfield's few buildings, it's dirt/grass aircraft parking areas, it's only hanger, and modify the runway a bit. I'd then like to add roads and buildings to make it look a bit like the high-res pics from Google Maps. The first thing I tried to do was remove the autogen trees (to make way for buildings) but Flatten didn't make any visible difference to the landscape, and I although I was able to add a taxiway with AFCAD, it didn't take effect until I rebooted my computer, and still left the trees. Normal? Do I need to use a different program? Thanks! KC

Hi. If you search on this website and locate a file called apttutv1.zip, it's a tutorial that'll give you a guide as to the programs you'll need and the steps to take to accomplish this. By the way, I highly recommend using Airport Design Editor rather than AFCAD since Airport Design Editor can do what AFCAD can do and more. Good luck.
    Captain Kevin

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway four left, cleared for take-off.

Quote Originally Posted by klc9761 View Post
    Hi. I'd like to get into creating scenery in FS9. I want to start small, making modification to the default airport 1WA6 (Fall City, WA). Currently there is only a short asphault runway cut out in the middle of the forest. I have FS Flatten and AFCAD 2.1 (I also have Runway12 and it's libraries). My goal is to add the airfield's few buildings, it's dirt/grass aircraft parking areas, it's only hanger, and modify the runway a bit. I'd then like to add roads and buildings to make it look a bit like the high-res pics from Google Maps. The first thing I tried to do was remove the autogen trees (to make way for buildings) but Flatten didn't make any visible difference to the landscape, and I although I was able to add a taxiway with AFCAD, it didn't take effect until I rebooted my computer, and still left the trees. Normal? Do I need to use a different program? Thanks! KC
    Nothing will "take effect" in FS2004 until you restart it.

A "flatten" is just what it says it is - it flattens the surface (terrain) upon which everything else sits.

You will get other answers regarding what to use instead of the Afcad program (as it is quite old) but for a simple project like yours it should suffice.

To remove the trees I have used the following with no problems for several years:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php...4sd&DLID=71590

You can also use Afcad to draw simple roads - just use the Apron option with no lines or lights. I find that Asphalt as the surface works quite well.

This file illustrates the "roads" idea:

Name: afcadtrt.zip Size: 3,403,928 Date: 01-19-2007 Downloads: 3,316
    AFCAD Tips And Tricks - An Illustrated Tutorial. Although Lee Swordy's indespensible program (AFCAD221.ZIP) includes very complete documentation, this tutorial illustrates several of the less obvious things you can do with the program. Topics include creating a quick flatten, decorating the edges of a runway, use of the polygon feature to enhance terrain adjacent to an airport, drawing "roads", creating invisible taxiways, moving or removing the helicopter "H" and use of the "jump here" command. Even if you are an experienced user of AFCAD, you will likely find some useful ideas in this tutorial. Compiled in .doc and .pdf formats for your flying enjoyment by David "Opa" Marshall.

Hope that helps get you started.
    Last edited by opaplano; 06-16-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    David "Opa" Marshall

Hi,

You need to "exclude" the trees. I use ExcBuilder2 for this work. Make sure you are pointing north when slewing around in overhead view (in slew mode press the Space Bar). Then choose the upper left and lower right corners of your exclude rectangle. You can create more than one if necessary (in separate BGL files).

To exclude autogen (trees and buildings), you need to choose the Exclude All option.

Hope this helps,
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

I use fs design studio and place a scenery object like a large object circle below the surface. Any default objects like trees and houses will disappear. Place the circles a good way under the surface.

You can also place a visible object there as well, like a tree or a bush, if it fits your design.
    Tom Gibson

7. Default

If you use AFX rather than AFCAD, you can exclude autogen with ease. I would be very surprised if ADE doesn't do the same, although I have no experience of that.

This discussion seems to have started six years ago, the world has moved on since then and AFCAD really needs to be forgotten.

John

Actually, AFCAD has a superior interface to ADE in many aspects. I often start a project in AFCAD, do all the "fiddly" stuff (much easier), then load the BGL file into ADE if needed for the final touches. Note that I do not use things like taxi signs and such that AFCAD doesn't do, so this isn't a handicap to me.

The other thing that AFCAD is wonderful for is water AI airports, since it allows very narrow runways and taxiways, something ADE cannot do with its MS compiler.
    Tom Gibson

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tgibson_new View Post
    Actually, AFCAD has a superior interface to ADE in many aspects. I often start a project in AFCAD, do all the "fiddly" stuff (much easier), then load the BGL file into ADE if needed for the final touches. Note that I do not use things like taxi signs and such that AFCAD doesn't do, so this isn't a handicap to me.

The other thing that AFCAD is wonderful for is water AI airports, since it allows very narrow runways and taxiways, something ADE cannot do with its MS compiler.
    That's why I am so fond of AFX - a very similar interface PLUS the ability to exclude all kinds of items and meddle with taxi signs and the like. It lets you do everything in one file rather than have to use separate exclude files.

Of course ADE goes further and lets you add buildings and other things, but my work is usually more involved with removing things!

Best regards,

John