Thread: Installing in Program Files (x86)?

1. Default Installing in Program Files (x86)?

I just upgraded to 64-bit Windows 7 and reinstalled FSX, when I noticed it's put itself in the x86 Program Files folder instead of the x64 one. Will this have any detrimental effect on using the full capabilities of 64-bit Windows? I've added 2GB of memory for a total of 6GB.

Should I uninstall and manually define the x64 Program Files folder?

It's normal. That folder is for 32-bit applications. You'll notice that many apps will install there since they're not 64-bit. You will still be able to use all of your RAM.

However, that folder is also protected by Windows. This causes problems with some add-ons, which I believe is because they simply try to copy the files over without asking for administrator privileges. It's strongly recommended to install FSX in a new folder, such as C:\FSX, or C:\Games\FSX, etc., or even on a separate drive. I would uninstall FSX and change the folder next time. When you run the installation program, click on the "More options" box to change the folder.

Quote Originally Posted by nicky9499 View Post
    I just upgraded to 64-bit Windows 7 and reinstalled FSX, when I noticed it's put itself in the x86 Program Files folder instead of the x64 one. Will this have any detrimental effect on using the full capabilities of 64-bit Windows? I've added 2GB of memory for a total of 6GB.

Should I uninstall and manually define the x64 Program Files folder?
    I recommend that you uninstall and re-install - but NOT under program files at all.

Anything installed under Program files (regardless of the 64 or 86 names) will be subject the pervasive "permission and security" checks which abound in Win7.

Trust me (and many others) - you will save yourself hours of frustration if you install FSX (or FS2004) away from Program files - perhaps in a new folder named C:\FSGames and/or on another partition or hard drive if available.

There are many threads here and in other forums which discuss the issues associated with installing FS under Program files.

In a nutshell, FS will "run" when installed under Program files. The problems arise when you try to install or manupulate FS and/or other items.

Hope this helps.
    David "Opa" Marshall

4. Default

Thanks for the advice. Seeing that this is still a fresh install, it will be best to reinstall on a separate partition for reasons mentioned by Opa.

Happy landings,
    Nicholas.

In orer of preference:

1. If you have a seperate internal hard drive - install fsx on that (so long as it is not a slow drive)

2. If you don't have a seperate hard drive - install on a dedicated partition if you can

3. If your drive is not partitioned - install fsx in its own folder on the root drive.

Never install fsx on an external drive.

Nevr install fsx to the default (program files).

Fsx runs best from a SSD, but these are quite expensive.

IAN
    Q9550 @ 3.78 GHz with Gainward GTX570 1.25 Gig DRAM
    4 Gig DDR2 RAM - Windows 7 64 Bit
    FSX SP2
    Resolution 1680 X 1050 X32