Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to Fly the F-111

1. Default

Is that plane used in TOPGUN movie?The General Dynamics F-111 "Aardvark" was a medium-range interdictor and tactical strike aircraft that also filled the roles of strategic bomber, reconnaissance, and electronic warfare in its various versions

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by johnpaulmathew View Post
    Is that plane used in TOPGUN movie?The General Dynamics F-111 "Aardvark" was a medium-range interdictor and tactical strike aircraft that also filled the roles of strategic bomber, reconnaissance, and electronic warfare in its various versions
    No, that would be the F-14 "Tomcat", a USN air-superiority fighter.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by COBS View Post
    I created a panel for the Alphasim/Virtavia F-111 , while the panel is different being a modern digital layout , it does have extensive documentation,
    it includes a Flight Manual that runs to 56 pages and is heavily oriented towards getting the pilot and aircraft reading from the same page , some of the
    detail will be of help to you, also included is a sheet detailing the control button assignments.
    Its freeware and available here at Flightsim its file references are fxpiggb5.zip and fxpiggb7.zip
    The following might also help:
    1. Reduce throttle to slow down , the airbrake will definitely slow you down.
    2. Wing sweep and flaps are controlled by 8 clicks of increase/decrease of incremental flaps.
    3. Terrain following is set by adjusting the figure in the Altitude hold window to what you want to fly at , say 500' above ground , switch autopilot On,
    and Altitude hold on , then TFR on. ( instructions are in my flight manual) . The aircraft will then try to maintain 500' , do this over gentle
    countryside , experiment with both different heights and airspeeds.
    The TFR does work, but it reads the height under the aircraft , it does not look ahead , therefore it will never see a cliff or steep mountain in front of it
    and as a result will fly into it , the autopilot needs time to react , that why its better to use TFR over gently undulating terrain.

Cheers
    Karol
    I used to work on the TFR on the A models...settings for altitude were (iirc) 200', 300', 400', 500', and 1000'. The LARA provided altitude info, but the TFR system itself did scan for terrain shapes (the antenna scanned "up and down", not the usual "left and right" of the attack radar). There would be a curvey line displayed on the TFR indicator, representing the mountain shape, in a logarithmic manner...not something the pilots could really use to manually fly over terrain. What the system would do is send pull-up/push-over commands to the horizontal steering bar on the ADI (attitude indicator) and the pilot could move the stick and keep it centered which would, in theory, keep the aircraft in the middle of the sky (as opposed to the edges, like...the ground). It generally worked pretty well.

There was a speed limit on the 200' setting, iirc. Maybe 0.8 Mach?

The TFR on autopilot would moderately "balloon" over terrain, both approaching steep mountains and once over them. iirc, there was an input for aircraft configuration, as well (bombs on wings, etc) because weight affects pull-up times. Also iirc, 3g was the limit of the TFR system if it failed, I don't remember if there was a limit during flight maneuvers + TFR.

I was going to say similar things as Beth, I worked on the F-111 program for several years. My memory may not be the best, but I believe that, in addition to setting the desired altitude for terrain following (or "Ground Hug") mode, there was a flight computer setting for the maximum G's to be endured, which was dependent on the altitude selection. The terrain following radar did indeed scan both forward and down for the flight computer to be able to calculate the proper flight profile.

5. Default

For you ex-TFR guys you might like this. We have created an F-111 with look ahead pitch and roll stabilized TTR. It also now has working ride settings and antenna tilt.
    https://sites.google.com/site/shess0.../AS-F111-Panel
    Last edited by shess57; 05-15-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Looks terrific Steve, will download ASAP!

CPU I7-960 @ 3.84Ghz, Asetek Water Cooler
    Asus P6T X58 MB, 6Gb RAM Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz
    EVGA nVidia GTX 570, 1.28Gb DDR5 RAM
    1 Tb SATA II HD, Kingston 128Gb SSD (FSX only)
    Apevia 800W PS, Win 7 64-bit

Today (May 5, 2019), I paid Virtavia GD F-111 Aardvark from FSPilotsShop.

I find out Virtavia Designers REALLY miss its a lot. No Thumbs and No Thumbnail and No Panel folders so I already fixed myself add its. So, I did installed it from Alphasim/Virtavia F-111's panel to Virtavia F-111, if working
    Aardvark folder. I still struggle for Thumbs something wrong their missing its all textures are ERROR.

Firefalcon

Desktop: Cybertron AMD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 , Microsoft Windows 10 DirectX 12, ASUS 24" 1920x1080. Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 (10:43 PM 7/24/2018 a since). FSX SE
    "FOR FSIM USE ONLY"

Virtavia F-111 really cool nice.

Firefalcon[/QUOTE]

Desktop: Cybertron AMD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 , Microsoft Windows 10 DirectX 12, ASUS 24" 1920x1080. Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 (10:43 PM 7/24/2018 a since). FSX SE
    "FOR FSIM USE ONLY"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2