GPS Documentation

rpmc

After struggling for some time with many of the fs9gps variables and searching the forums for documentation of their use, often in vain, I attempted to fill the gap.

What started out as notes on a spreadsheet grew into something more resembling a guidebook, “FS9GPS Module”. It’s a collection of ‘notes to myself’ on the use of the gps module, definitions and examples of its 320 variables, and explanations of the principals of some xml coding techniques such as ICAO Transfer and Cycle Skipping that are used when working with the FS9 gps.dll module.

For those interested, it can be downloaded from the BlackBox website:

http://www.robbiemcelrath.com/blackbox/?guide

Hope you enjoy it!

Regards,

Bob

What a labor of love! (though I'm sure you've bitched more than once at the GPS modules...)

I've not attacked a GPS gauge yet (wonder why), but man, looks like you've flattened the learning curve the day I decide to do so!

Thanks for the service to the community, and the hard work and hours that have gone into that document!

Gunter

Try this how to video gps_video_part_one.zip and gps_part_two.zip these are really good.

Blades

Edited by N4GIX to add direct links:

"In the land of the Blind Man the One eyed man Is King"

What a labor of love! (though I'm sure you've bitched more than once at the GPS modules...)

I've not attacked a GPS gauge yet (wonder why), but man, looks like you've flattened the learning curve the day I decide to do so!

Thanks for the service to the community, and the hard work and hours that have gone into that document!

Gunter

@Gunter - many thanks.

In the end, I can say that I enjoyed writing it, although the bitching was related to the feeling a few months into it that I had bitten off more than I wanted to chew. Perseverance won out.

I really hope that it encourages more people to build gauges that utilize the gps variables - they open up quite another dimension of FS gauge building possibilities.

Bob

Try this how to video gps_video_part_one.zip and gps_part_two.zip these are really good.

Blades

Where might one find these videos? A link would have been nice... :)

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

They are in the library here...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

@Gunter - many thanks.

In the end, I can say that I enjoyed writing it, although the bitching was related to the feeling a few months into it that I had bitten off more than I wanted to chew. Perseverance won out.

I really hope that it encourages more people to build gauges that utilize the gps variables - they open up quite another dimension of FS gauge building possibilities.

Bob

Well, Bob, seriously, I think I'm sold... :cool:

I have some features on my wishlist that I believe could be achieved with the GPS module, but which I'd likely never have attacked.

I may do so now. I'll let you know.

Thanks again. And lucky us that you've got a dogged spirit ;)

Gunter

They are in the library here...Don

Well, I kinda figured that out myself. The "hint" was for the poster to have added them...

I've edited the post to add the title and direct download links.

With that said though, although the two video tutorials are well done, they actually aren't at all relevant to Bob's work. :)

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

• 1 month later...